New Gigabyte Mobo, windows won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gigabyte Mobo, windows won't start

i recently installed a new EP45-UD3P motherboard in my old computer which is running a copy of windows xp home with service pack 2. Windows will not recognize the motherboard however and just gets stuck in a reboot loop every time I try to start it. I tried booting to windows with the old mobo installed, creating a new hardware profile and uninstalled the old mobo drivers but that didn't seem to do anything. i have also tried booting from my windows recovery CD but it doesn't seem to want to boot from it.

thanks in advance for any help.

Re: New Gigabyte Mobo, windows won't start

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

Check your AHCI setting, XP doesn't play nicely with that unless using the proper driver to do so. If enabled, you might try disabling it and see if XP will boot normally.

Comment

no, I can't boot into safe mode. it runs through a bunch of processes and then reboots. tried booting with AHCI both enabled and disabled and i still get the same problem.

Comment

The best way to avoid the problem as you probably know is to reinstall Windows with a real XP disk (not restore disk). A restore disk will not (and is designed not to) work with a changed motherboard.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I know it would be better to use a real XP install disk but the recovery CD that came with my computer is sadly the closest thing i have.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero View Post
            I know it would be better to use a real XP install disk but the recovery CD that came with my computer is sadly the closest thing i have.
            PrairieDawg is spot on. If it is a Restore Disk from one of the Big Oem's such as Dell, HP, Acer etc they can be very tailored to your Original System. Also it's probably against the License agreement too as in general it is with any windows OEM disk to be used on another PC, even if the original is in the trash.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
            X