Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X48T-DQ6 bios will not save overclock settings...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X48T-DQ6 bios will not save overclock settings...help!

hi there,

i am having nearly the same problem with my Gigabyte board.

if i change the FSB in MIT to anything besides the default 333MHz (even only +2MHz), after doing a save-exit from the bios it will have a boot failure anywhere from 1 to 3 times and then finally POST the whole way. when it has finally loaded XP Pro, CPUZ reads that the FSB is at 333MHz.

i had first tried updating the bios to version F9 as i was using F8, didn't help. tried changing Vcore and others, with more boot failures. tried flashing back to bios F8, loaded optimized defaults, save/exit, and ONLY changed the FSB by 2MHz; again boot failure.
    tried re-seating the CPU and heatsink, no change.

i have:
    Intel E6750
    Xigmatek HDT S1283 with a Noctua 120mm
    GA-EP43-DS3R
    2GB of OCZ Reaper PC2-9200
    BFG 9800GT OC+
    Corsair 750W
    Seagate 7200.11 640GB +others
    dual optical drives
    Antec 900 case
    XP Pro SP3

unlike 'defiant' the settings are being saved but every time i go back into MIT it has a red message window saying there was a boot failure and the settings might not match my H/W.

oh, i have been able to OC using EasyTune6, but it doesn't let me change the FSB:DRAM ration, as to why i started playing with MIT in the first place. i get rounding errors when i go above FSB- 390MHz for some reason though.

any ideas why i keep getting boot failures?
    thanks in advance for your ideas.
    Last edited by JapaneseAstronomy; 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

fixed the main problem and i can now OC using MIT.

i got soo frustrated that i took apart my rig on a table and used the case just for the power switch and placed the motherboard on a piece of cardboard. thus it was like a bench set up. i could see that the Xigmatek heatsink was causing the mobo to flex like crazy, maybe causing shortages against the inside of my case. i also found that after i disconnected the chipset fans from the mobo and hooked them up by Molex, i could actually lightly oc the voltages. maybe they were sucking up power from the mobo during the start up that was needed for the Vcore and Vdram?? not sure.

i was able to tweak till i got the core clock up to 415MHz, Vcore 1.36V, Vdram 1.94V and Vmch 1.2V .
      if i raise the clock up a couple more MHz, i get the boot failures again, even if i raise the voltages.
      darn, was hoping for a higher OC than this but i will live as it at least boots correctly now.
      running a Prime95 overnight to make sure everything is stable.

i will put down some rubber washers between the stand-offs and Mobo near the cpu to help raise it up a bit; along with electrical tape or something on the inner case pannel there to help future shortages.

any other ideas, please let me know.
      hope this helps someone.

Comment

Also be sure that flexing is not causing your Mosfet heatsinks to not touch the mosfets, this often happens and they will overheat very quickly and can cause failures and even start on fire if not properly covered.

Sounds like you need to buy a Backplate FOR SURE!! >>>
        Newegg.com - Accessories, CPU Fans & Heatsinks, XIGMATEK

Comment

Is this one 2GB stick of ram? Can you link me to it please?
          Link here: http://corsair.com/products/go.aspx?...2048-1333C9DHX

It is 2 x 1 gig.

Then I can better advise you. What got it working for you anyway since you did not flash the BIOS? I was about to tell you not all settings will work that you used with a previous BIOS, but seems you did not flash. You likely just need to make some minor adjustments is all. Once I get a link to your ram I will be able to better offer you some tips
          I am not exactly sure what got it working, it may have been something in your suggested settings which I didn't previously have disabled, but I do not want to mess around with it further just in case it causes the issue to resurface.

Any advice about the ram settings would be appreciated.

You can use 333 strap and 400. I am not sure but I think your board does not show you this one, but after 400 FSB you will be able to use it I think. Memory Multi's on the 400/1600 Strap are 2.00D, 2.66D, and 3.33D. If you do not see those memory Multi's then you cannot use 400 Strap. Letters of course may also be symbols on your board. Here is a image that shows you what Memory Multi's are on what straps >>>

You of course can use a lower strap then 333 as well but it may not be stable for you
          Thanks! That might explain why it wouldn't boot when I was attempting an FSB over 400! Will try the "D" strap to see whether that improves the overclock.

Comment

Ya, you should have much better luck with D strap, you can use B it just will take you some time to find the correct timings and MCH Voltage which could be more or less, it is tricky

Well here would be some ranges for your advanced timings, main would be 999-20/24 unless you were running under 1333. If you was then you could likely try 777-20 up to a certain point (Maybe 1150 or so)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5
            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-8
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6-10
            Refresh to ACT Delay______________44-54
            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
            Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always Auto
            Command Rate_________________ 2 << 1 if you can boot it

And of course maybe lower or higher for any of those depending on the strap used, voltages, Main timings, tRD, and FSB Speed. So, just a general idea of optimal ranges there I suppose

Comment

Cheers! I haven't tried overclocking it further as I figured I might as well enjoy some time on Fallout 3 and World in Conflict, rather than spending hours tweaking, before I have to return to work this Monday .

Will report back once I have had time to play with the settings some more.

Comment

Ahh... Aight! have fun then and enjoy your game!

Comment

Hi,

I have decided to contribute to this topic as I had quite a few problems with OC my Q9550 2.83 to 3.4 GHz. My specs are as follows:

Mo Bo: Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 BIOS ver F6A
                  CPU: Intel Q9550
                  Memory: Corsair CM3X2G1600C9DHX x2 (4GB total)
                  PSU: OCZ 600W
                  GPU: GFX 260 + 2xLCD
                  Drives: 3x internal HDD + 1x External USB HDD (I-Book) + DVDRW
                  Case: TT Armor
                  Cooling: TT Bigwater 770
                  System: Vista 64 Ultimate SP1

So, over last 2-3 months I was running at 2.83 GHz (FSB 333x8.5) and 1333MHz memory bus as I was initially unable to setup my memory properly when assembling my rig. After 2 months of stable work, I decided to sort out RAM frequency.
                  To my surprise my Mo/Bo was resetting to default settings at every boot (after failed attempt to start) as soon as I enabled "CPU Host Clock Control" - even without changing FSB frequency (yes! even at 333MHz FSB which was running fine on automatic setting).
                  After few hours of testing, changing memory slots, unplugging unnecessary devices, BIOS updates and Internet forums reading, I have found this topic with JapaneseAstronomy's remark about possible shortages with case.
                  Disassembling my rig revealed first real problem - My lame Mo/Bo installation.

Having not read User's Manual I managed to leave one of the two 12v (2x4 12v sockets) connectors unplugged. I have to admit that there was a black spigot on the second socket, and manual states that this should be connected for Extreme processors but still...

Plugging both 12V power supplies allowed me to begin proper OC. I could now change FSB, memory timings, etc. without any booting problems.
                  Next problem I have encountered was very poor stability with fsb @400 MHz. Even with CPU at nominal 2.80 GHz (multiplier x7), FSB 400MHz and memory bus 1600MHz (multiplier 4.00D) I have had system halts after every 10 min or so. It turned out that one of the DDR3 sticks was faulty! Removing one faulty stick and leaving good 2 GB allowed stable work at 2.8 GHz and 1600MHz memory bus! Further OC was than possible and my rig is working now with the following settings:

CPU @3.4 GHz (multiplier x8.5), Vcore 1.31
                  FSB @400 MHz
                  Memory bus @ 1600 (multiplier x4.00D), DDR3 OverVoltage +0,30V, 9-9-9-24, Command Rate 2T

The only problem that I'm still fighting with is that BIOS will restart on boot every time when my External USB HDD (I-Book 1TB) is plugged in and FSB is set to 400MHz... I need to unplug USB lead to allow my system to pass self test. My guess is that this device start is delaying system boot to the extent that system BIOS self check times out and downclocking to default settings is performed.

EDIT: Above problem is sorted now - Disabled "Legacy USB storage detect" allowed to boot with extrnal drive plugged to USB port.

Hope this will help anybody who is having similar problems.

Regards,
                  Squbel

Last edited by squbel; 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting, was just about to tell you to disable legacy USB Storage Detect, I see you found it!

Do keep in mind that it Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Working...
                    X