Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X48T-DQ6 bios will not save overclock settings...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48T-DQ6 bios will not save overclock settings...help!

Hi, am new to the forums and am desperate for some advice about this issue I am having with my X48 which has now driven me to my wits end.

The specs of my machine are as follows:

X48T-DQ6
    Q9450
    850W PSU (silverstone strider)
    Nvidia GTX 280
    2 gigs Corsair XMS 3 DHX
    500 gig Seagate 7200 RPM *(32M cache)
    Win XP SP3

I built this rig in June this year, and decided on the X48T specifically because of its extensive overclocking features (which of course attracts a premium in terms of pricing).

I left everything at stock as I wanted to be sure that the system was completely stable before I attempted an overclocking run.

Fast forward 6 months later, everything is chugging along fine and I just happen to have enough time today to start tweaking the bios and doing some synthetic benchmarks.

I updated to the latest F5 bios using the @Bios utility. I have only just seen a thread here stating that there are problems with that software, but in any event the bios updated fine with no apparent problems.

Now the issue I am experiencing is as follows....the bios will not save any overclocking settings in the M.I.T. submenu. This is irrespective of however small or large the overclock is. When I exit the bios, the machine reboots and posts the Gigabyte splash screen. It then however restarts again two seconds later with the M.I.T. bios settings back to default. As stated before, this will happen even with 1 MHZ increase in the FSB.

I combed the internet in an attempt to ascertain whether other individuals have experienced the issue. So far I have only come across the following few isolated reports, but with no solution provided:

Gigabyte X48-DES5 BIOS F7 (Downclock) - Overclockers Forums
    XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (P45 Express) first impression
    Can`t Overclock My Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Intel X48 - XtremeSystems Forums
    [SOLVED] Bios reseting fsb clock oc - Tech Support Forum
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 wont OC Q6600 - [H]ard|Forum

In case you are wondering, those are my posts at the end of the hardforum thread.

I initially acted on the advice of the techsupportforum thread which suggested there was some sort of bug with the board fan headers. I unplugged all my fans from the headers, and lo and behold the bios begins to save all my overclock settings in M.I.T.

So far so good, I get to work tweaking and testing the limits of the FSB, CPU and memory. I settle on an FSB which gives me an overclock of 3.56 ghz on the CPU. At this stage I was not interested in doing extensive stress testing and instead decided to see whether it would cope with run of the mill gaming.

My machine of course hard locked, but for some mysterious reason this reintroduced the same bios bug which prevented overclocked settings from being saved in M.I.T. Playing with the fan headers didn't resolve the issue a second time, so I decided to take the more drastic step of swapping the RAM into different slots. For me this is a huge pain in the ass as it requires me to remove the GTX 280 in order to access the the plastic arms which hold the memory in place.

Mysteriously this again resolves the bios bug. I then attempt another overclocking run only to have the machine hard lock again during gaming, which reintroduces the bios bug. The issue is again alleviated by swapping the ram back into their original slots!

I personally have never come across an issue like this before when overclocking, but as you may appreciate it is incredibly frustrating. Having to pull my machine apart on a regular basis to be able to overclock is just not feasible, especially considering how much money I paid for this board's overclocking features.

Would appreciate any help or advice people are able to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: X48T-DQ6 bios will not save overclock settings...help!

Even if you successfully updated with the infamous @bios, you need to load up the bios optimised defaults, SAVE & enter(reboot). Then enter the bios again and setup your specifics.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
      Even if you successfully updated with the infamous @bios, you need to load up the bios optimised defaults, SAVE & enter(reboot). Then enter the bios again and setup your specifics.
      Did that, did not resolve the issue.

Comment

The bios usually won't retain the values you've set in the MIT section, when:-

1) Your Overclock is too high.
        2) You didn't load up the optimised defaults after a bios update.
        3) The bios values have become corrupt and you need to clear the cmos.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          The bios usually won't retain the values you've set in the MIT section, when:-

1) Your Overclock is too high.
          2) You didn't load up the optimised defaults after a bios update.
          3) The bios values have become corrupt and you need to clear the cmos.
          In this case I do not think its the overclock because it will not let me overclock at all .

In terms of clearing the cmos, do you mean reflashing version F5 using q-flash?

Edit: or are you referring to removing the battery or using the clear cmos jumper?
          Last edited by defiant; 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Okay, decided to throw caution to the wind and upgraded to the beta F6A bios using qflash. I set the FSB to 445 which resulted in a hard lock when attempting to run Prime95.

Managed to boot back into the bios where the M.I.T. settings had not been reset to default. So far so good...am now currently running stress testing in Prime95, will report back whether the problem has been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by defiant View Post
              In this case I do not think its the overclock because it will not let me overclock at all .

In terms of clearing the cmos, do you mean reflashing version F5 using q-flash?

Edit: or are you referring to removing the battery or using the clear cmos jumper?
              Yes I was...

As per the Sticky article at the top of the forums first page:-

Remember too that in general a GB Bios with a suffix is beta.

Comment

Well the bug is back, and after only doing something as simple as tightening the screws on my HSF. I have never come across such a temperamental board...I am convinced there is a bug in the bios which is resulting in overzealous overclocking protection.

I am nearly at the point where I am ready to bin this board and buy an asus. Suffice to say I think I will stay away from gigabyte motherboards after this experience.

Comment

I don't suppose a gigabyte rep could comment on the issues I am having

Comment

All sounds very odd to me... And your last comment about your Heatsink screws makes it worse. Sounds like your board may have a internal or external item that is shorting out?

If I were you I would be flashing back in the BIOS that gave you no issues and see how that goes as it sounds like it was working fine for you

If you think this is or are not sure if this is caused by incorrect settings, please do post what you are using and a link to your ram. Incorrect settings at any level can cause this behavior you are seeing. As could a faulty piece of hardware or a not o great BIOS.

Did you reseat your CPU when you adjusted the heatsink? If not, you should for a few reasons. One being moving a heatsink will allow air channels to form in the paste, tightening it down may cause that as well since you would be moving it around. And two, I have seen a reseat solve this exact issue for others in the past.

If you are unsure, like I said let's see your settings you are using vs what you try that fails >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
                    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                    Static tRead Value_______________
                    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
                    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
                    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap, thanks for your swift response!

All sounds very odd to me... And your last comment about your Heatsink screws makes it worse. Sounds like your board may have a internal or external item that is shorting out?
                      It is extremely odd, I have never come across an issue like this with a m/board.

If I were you I would be flashing back in the BIOS that gave you no issues and see how that goes as it sounds like it was working fine for you
                      The problem is that I was not overclocking with the original bios (F4) which shipped with the board, so I cannot really say whether flashing to that bios will resolve the issue. I suspect it won't given that I have tried two more recent versions. Everything works fine at default speeds, its just when trying to overclock with M.I.T. do I experience the issue.

If you think this is or are not sure if this is caused by incorrect settings, please do post what you are using and a link to your ram. Incorrect settings at any level can cause this behavior you are seeing. As could a faulty piece of hardware or a not o great BIOS.
                      Link to the ram specs is as follows:

I highly doubt the issue is being caused by incorrect settings. As explained previously, when the bios is experiencing this issue it will not save any overclocked settings regardless of how small or large the overclock is. Even a 1 MHZ increase in the FSB will cause it to reset the M.I.T. settings.

Did you reseat your CPU when you adjusted the heatsink? If not, you should for a few reasons. One being moving a heatsink will allow air channels to form in the paste, tightening it down may cause that as well since you would be moving it around. And two, I have seen a reseat solve this exact issue for others in the past.
                      I actually did do a total reseat and reapplication of thermal paste just to eliminate that as an issue. This required me to pull my rig apart in order to access the HSF (thermalright ultra 120 extreme). Suffice to say that it did, like previous occasions when I moved parts around, temporarily resolve the issue until my machine hardlocked from an overclock which reintroduced the bug.

If you are unsure, like I said let's see your settings you are using vs what you try that fails >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

[code]Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                      Static tRead Value_______________

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                      Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                      I will compare those settings to what I have in the bios and will report back.

Cheers

Comment

Gigabyte support have also forwarded me a new beta bios to try (F6B), so hopefully that will resolve the issue. Will probably give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, please do post me back your settings into that template so I can have a better look at what you are using.

And if you get bored (I would I mean) flash back to the BIOS you was using and see if all is ok. If it worked before without issue it is not likely a faulty board unless something was physically damaged, so it may just end up being the be the BIOS update

Sorry, I do have to go for now but I will for sure be back tonight.

Good luck in the mean time!

*EDIT*

Ahh Great to hear about the Beta they mailed you, ya try that and if no luck I would try the one that you used before that was ok

Comment

Okay, I have had some progress now in resolving the issue. The bios now seems to be saving overclocked settings. They are now set as follows:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                            Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
                            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [350]
                            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]

CAS Latency Time________________ 9
                            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 9
                            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______9
                            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 24

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 5
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10
                            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60
                            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5
                            Static tRead Value_______________ 7
                            Command Rate_________________ [Auto]

DDR3 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.10V]
                            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.15V]
                            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.0.05V]
                            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.275]

Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
                            Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]
                            A reboot due to an excessive overclock no longer seems to lock me out of changing the M.I.T. settings, however I am now finding it difficult to achieve the overclocks I was obtaining before (e.g. 3 - 3.4 ghz) as the system simply resets. Any tips on how I can obtain better stability?

P.s. haven't tried the new beta bios as yet.

Edit:

and what memory strap can I use when overclocking?
                            Last edited by defiant; 12-31-2008, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Is this one 2GB stick of ram? Can you link me to it please?

Then I can better advise you. What got it working for you anyway since you did not flash the BIOS? I was about to tell you not all settings will work that you used with a previous BIOS, but seems you did not flash. You likely just need to make some minor adjustments is all. Once I get a link to your ram I will be able to better offer you some tips

You can use 333 strap and 400. I am not sure but I think your board does not show you this one, but after 400 FSB you will be able to use it I think. Memory Multi's on the 400/1600 Strap are 2.00D, 2.66D, and 3.33D. If you do not see those memory Multi's then you cannot use 400 Strap. Letters of course may also be symbols on your board. Here is a image that shows you what Memory Multi's are on what straps >>>

You of course can use a lower strap then 333 as well but it may not be stable for you

Comment

Working...
                              X