Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EX58 series's AHCI Mode Setting Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58 series's AHCI Mode Setting Problem!

Hi Guys, I'm new here.
    Actually, I left some of my experience in the Gigabyte latest bios, but I think I should start this thread. Thanks for leading it and hopefully we can share some ideas.

What Happened!

I'm using Linux, Hacintosh, and Vista multibooting system.
    For that reason, Gigabyte has been my choice. I used Asus P5B but Giga was better suited for multi-booting.

The problem started as I was preparing a new one with i7 920. I have to choose X58 board and I bought GA EX58-UD5 at first.
    But as I was setting up SATA/Raid mode "enable as AHCI," the bios booting was doing some strange things like I couldn't go back to bios setup page or it took really long time to get booted up to Vista. So, I thought I'd better try Extrem version which made me feel better. So, I got it and it was good.
    That lasted only a moment.
    I happened to find out this site, and saw the latest beta version of bios. Since I thought there must be some improvement on this frosh Mobo, I downloaded F4l & F4m. The factory installed bios was F3 which worked good.
    When I flashed F4l, it was disaster.

As soon as I changed AHCI enable, booting screen was stuck at "Varyfying DMI pool data...." forever.
    If I reset and try to get to bios setup, it wouldn't let me. It just kept going to run as AHCI mode and stuck at the same spot. Then, I cleared CMOS to reflash F3 which was original, but it was same. The system wouldn't enabled as AHCI.

I went to the shop and exchanged with GA EX58-DS4P. I was hoping this would be OK, but no. Still the same. So, I went back to shop one more to exchange to UD5 again. I'm back to the same thing.

I googled a bit and found a lot of people complaining about this AHCI things. But some said theirs were OK. So, I thought I could be lucky to have one.
    That was my mistake.

I don't think this is a simple matter. A company like Gigabyte and $300 worth of MOBO shouldn't have this type of basic problem.

If you guys had the same experience, let's share it. It might be helpful so Giga guys can fix this once and for all.

Thanks
    Last edited by jplee4907; 12-20-2008, 08:43 PM.

Re: GA-EX58 series's AHCI Mode Setting Problem!

what if you set the SATA RAID/AHCI disable? also put the SATA port0-3 native model ENABLE.....

i have Ud5, and it looks to me that the AHCI mode not working very well for me, but somehow i managed to work out with the NCQ.....

i use XP only

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting the sata dvd/rw drive from the ICH10r and only having Hard Drives connected in AHCI mode as I suggested in the PM i sent you?
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the tips

I tried to disconnect SATA DVD/RW, not working.
        and, set just SATA Native mode 0-3 enable but it's not working either.

Whenever I change SATA/RAID mode enable, I have to reset with CMOS Clear otherwise even if I changed bios setting back to SATA/RAID disable, it won't boot. Just hanging at "Varyfying DMI pool data...."

VorLonUK//Please, what did you mean disconnecitng the sata dvd/rw from ICH10R? I assume that is just a disconnecting the cable.
        My sata dvd is connected SATA3 port.

I'm going to writer a question letter to Gigabyte. But I don't know if I get the response. But I'm going to try.

Except AHCI, the board is really strong on Overclocking. I'm using at 3.4. This has been a simplest Overclocking.

But I need AHCI work though.
        Last edited by jplee4907; 12-21-2008, 10:07 AM.

Comment

VorLonUK//Please, what did you mean disconnecitng the sata dvd/rw from ICH10R? I assume that is just a disconnecting the cable.
          My sata dvd is connected SATA3 port.
          So you are only using the SATA2_X Ports and Not GSATA_X Ports?
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I believe so.
            GSATA port is the 4 white ones, right? I don't use that. I use all the blue ones.

Comment

Did you update to the latest recommended bios on this board and if you did, did you load up the optimised defaults, save and reboot?

Have you tried just one Hard drive in AHCI mode on SATA2_0 connector?

Trying to ascertain whether the AHCI bios is "falling over" on it's own, or something connected to the ICH10 controller (Blue ports) is causing it to error.

I suggest to you use one HD (no dvd) only and Loadup the optimised Defaults, save and then reboot. Then with just that one drive connected, enable AHCI, save and reboot.

What bios version are you using?

Comment

I'm going to try. I'm using bios ver. F4r

Thanks

Comment

It seems a AHCI bug was fixed in an earlier bios beta version....

Comment

How can I get F4e...there seem to be only the latest beta on the web page here.
                    Would you let me know? thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by jplee4907 View Post
                      How can I get F4e...there seem to be only the latest beta on the web page here.
                      Would you let me know? thanks...

I've never seen so many beta suffixes to a bios. F3 is the last Proper Release, but scanning through the Bios thread, Bios F4L seems Okish, but is still in testing. Usually a suffix means it's Beta.

F4L:-

Comment

I just did Load Optimized setting, and with just One HDD, changed setting as AHCI enable /SATA 0-3 native mode enable, the same thing.
                        It shows Verifying DMI Pool Data.....Update Success, and not moving...

Should I try F3 again?

Huh...Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jplee4907 View Post
                          I just did Load Optimized setting, and with just One HDD, changed setting as AHCI enable /SATA 0-3 native mode enable, the same thing.
                          It shows Verifying DMI Pool Data.....Update Success, and not moving...

Should I try F3 again?

Huh...Thanks
                          Well it seems a couple if not more of these beta releases (f4) have been to address AHCI issues. You could try F3 as your scenario may work correctly, or the F4L I posted above.

Problem with Beta bioses, is they may fix one thing, but then throw something else out of sync.

Comment

F3 is not working either.
                            it seems to me a strange thing was like this;

1. When I got UD5 for the first time, initially it was working with SATA mode enabled.
                            But while I was tuning the system, I was going back and forth setting SATA disable and enable. I just didn't like the way the board response. It worked ok, but at Verifying DMI Pool Data...something was wiered. Bios was F3. At that time, I went to the shop and exchanged with Extreme board thinking I will get a better one.

2. Once I got Extreme board, it worked good actually. SATA enable never the problem with original factory F3 bios. I just forgot about the SATA problem, thou I read some member here was complaining about.
                            But, right after I flashed with F4l from here, the problem started hanging at the DMI spot.

3. I changed board to UD4P, it didn't work. And I went back the shop looking for Extreme but didn't have one. So, I got UD5 currently using one.

This is a weird saga of my own.
                            I just don't see why!!!
                            Because I know other guys using EX58 series, they are good with SATA mode change.

I think I'm going to call GIGA USA and get a board from them or at least I get some answer. Wish me luck.

I do really appreciate for your help. Thanks

Comment

I have one more question, I see when the board starts from AHCI mode, it reads from the top of the screen like "Intel SATA AHCI bios starting...."

I know when I install Vista, I installed the chipset from intel and GSATA driver. Is there way that I can find this Intel SATA bios to be reinstall?

Comment

Working...
                              X