Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45 DS3L - Can I enable SATA Native mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45 DS3L - Can I enable SATA Native mode?

I've installed Vista 32 bit on this board with a Seagate 7200.11 HD and just realised that whilst I had AHCI disabled, which I think I probably want, with only one drive, I also had the drive running in legacy mode. Is it safe for me to enable the SATA Native mode, and would I expect to see a large performance increase?

Thanks

Re: EP45 DS3L - Can I enable SATA Native mode?

It should be ok - although I've never tried that.

The difference between Legacy and native mode, is that the bios allocates IRQ's to the drives in legacy mode, whilst in native mode this task is left to the Operating system to decide - newer ones such as 2000/Xp/Vista support Native mode. Win98/Me relied on assigned IRQ's, ie Legacy mode.

So i would imagine unlike where there are noticeable changes (drivers) between Legacy vs AHCI & Native vs AHCI - Legacy to Native should just see Vista (in your case) assigning IRQ's automatically and as far as I know that's all there is basically to it.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks, I switched to native mode and Vista booted fine. Everything seems ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Inconsistent View Post
        Thanks, I switched to native mode and Vista booted fine. Everything seems ok.
        Excellent....

It means that Vista will now automatically assign IRQ's to devices as it sees fit, which is the way it's now done.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
        X