GA-X48-DQ6 and OCZ memory problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DQ6 and OCZ memory problems.

I have some instability issues with my OCZ memory and GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard. From several articles I understand that there's a compatibility issue between most OCZ memory modules and Gigabyte motherboards.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Mostly my videodriver, Internet Explorer, AVG 8 virusscanner or Windows Search crashes. Sometimes at startup, other times after several hours. At first I also had a lot of BSODs, but since I've set some BIOS settings manually that didn't happen anymore.<o:p></o:p>

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6<o:p></o:p>
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 with boxed cooler<o:p></o:p>
    Memory: OCZ2RPR800C44GK (2 x 2 GB modules)<o:p></o:p>
    PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP<o:p></o:p>
    Video: Gainward Radeon HD 4870 (Golden Sample)<o:p></o:p>
    Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB<o:p></o:p>
    Case fan: 3 x 120mm case fans<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Re: GA-X48-DQ6 and OCZ memory problems.

Here are the BIOS settings:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [10x]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[+0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40B]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 17

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    ***Blinking red line which says ‘System Voltage NOT Optimized!!***
    System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: (could not find this setting)
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: (could not find this setting)
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled]

Because of the blinking red text which says ‘System Voltage NOT Optimized’ I should probably change something at the overvoltage settings. However, I’m not familiar with overclocking and therefore I’m a little reluctant to increase the values.

I would like some advise....

Comment

Are all your memory settings on Auto?

If they are you need initially to set tRFC in the advanced options manually to 56, you can select Auto to all the other settings in that subsection - for now.
      What voltage are you running your modules at? and what is their memory and voltage rating?
      Also set "Performance Enhance" to Standard.

Then run memtest...

If you still get Vista64 startup errors/freezes/lockups etc, then you may need to increment your tRD value by 1.

Edit:
      So,
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54 - Manually to 56
      Static tRead Value_______________ 7 - Manually to 8

You'll probably need to increment your DDR2 Voltage by 0.1 to 0.2 volts. You'll have a warrantied max voltage printed on the module label.

The flashing Red text is normal on the voltage section. Leave everything else at normal for now and only adjust the DDR2 voltage.

As well as memtest, you can use the Windows vista memory Diagnostic (under administrative tools).
      An extended test, with default cache options takes around 3hours with a 3ghz dual core cpu. Basic and standard tests with cache enabled are far quicker, but less thorough.

I believe this is your memory:-
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi VorLonUK,

Thank you for your reply. The memory settings are set to manual, but I set the value the same as what they showed on auto. I've read several posts which says that auto settings do not use the values which it says in the BIOS.

The voltages of the memory are now 1.88 volts. I will increase that with 0.2 volts and change the other 2 settings you mentioned. Then I will run the memtest.

The link from ocztechnology is indeed the memory I use...
        Last edited by Stephan; 12-01-2008, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Comment

I would suggest you set this to Zero >>>
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 17

And then as said above set your voltages. MCH to +.2-.3 and ram voltage to 2.0-2.1

Yes, auto is not always what you see in the BIOS, but aside from the settings mentioned auto would be fine as normally it is a good setting no matter what you see.

If you would like full settings let me know

Use firefox!

Comment

Alternatively to Lsdme's suggestion , I found I got rock solid stability whilst in Vista 64 by incrementing the "Performance level" tRD by not just 1 but 2.

In all cases I found I could Run memtest and prime95 without error with a lower (and higher performance) tRD, giving me excellent memory Benchmarks.

However, initially I'd get the odd startup freeze, so i incremented the value of tRD by 1. After that everything appeared solid, until I attempted to transfer a large image file (27GB) to an external hard drive, where the system froze again. Of course it could have been something else causing the problem, but i have now incremented tRD once more and it's now at 10 for my DDR3 @1200mhz
              Now all is stable..

What I did note that was interesting, whilst my advanced memory settings were at Auto, was the effect increasing the Cpu host frequency had.
              My advanced memory settings are now manually set, bar Static tRead Phase Adjust.....
              The Auto Affect - At a host frequency of:-
              374Mhz tRD = 10
              375Mhz tRD = 9
              376Mhz tRD = 10

Because 375Mhz which i'm using ie 375 x 8 = 3000Mhz cpu is one of those Auto "threshold" points, it causes tRD to dip because another memory value "offsets" it's impact. But seeing as tRD in reality has a massive impact on performance and stability, the offset with another setting didn't stabilise the effect.

It seems that Ocz/Corsair are recommending lower voltage (ie only use what you need) for ram and sticking to Auto for Ram timings especially on matured bioses.
              I use Auto as a template and note the values via memset in windows. Then manually set the values. I keep some as they are and use tRD as a performance vs stability lever.
              The only one I leave on auto is Static tRead Phase Adjust.

The trouble when setting some of the advanced section values to Auto, is that when experimenting manually with another memory setting, is that Auto will compensate via another setting.
              What makes it more confusing is as to when it will do this. Sometimes one to several increments/decrements on one value won't affect any of the others. Then on the other hand, depending on the bios, incrementing/decrementing one value can alter all the other values that are set to auto.
              Best to get some landmark values via memset as to what you've set in the bios etc.
              Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM.
              GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Great tips man!

I do appreciate all the help you have been bringing to the forums!

Great knowledge and help is always appreciated for sure!

Comment

Hi!

Thank you both for the help and suggestions.

Yesterday, I reinstalled Vista and the first thing I noticed was that with the the memory voltages on 2.0 volts, Refresh to ACT Delay set to 56 and Static tRead Value set to 8 the installation was much faster than before.

I installed drivers from the Gigabyte cd, rebooted Vista and... he rebooted again... and again... I booted with Last Known Good Configuration and set Vista desktop to Aero. Boom... there was the crash again. Videodriver crash and has been restarted....

So I thought... maybe the cd I use is damaged. Since I didn't had another Vista 64-bit cd I used XP Professional 32 bit. The one I've always been using with my old pc's. Installation went like a rock and no problem with driver installation. I downloaded and installed the newest Catalyst drivers. Everything seems to work now. Auto Tune in Catalyst Control Center set the clock speed even higher than in Vista. But that's maybe because Vista uses more resources than XP or because of the new BIOS settings.

Unfortunately I'm unable to test tonight, but tomorrow I will install WoW or another game to see how that goes.

In the meantime I will get a new Vista 64-bit cd. Coming weekend I will install Vista and test with the settings you both mentioned. I keep you updated.

Comment

Well last known good settings was likely your incorrect settings. Go back in and manually make the changes suggested again

Ahh sorry I reply before I finish reading! Ya, burn you a New Install CD on the SLOWEST Setting or get a new one and see how that goes.

Let us know how your tests go over, but do keep in mind GFX Drivers always have issues with certain games that is why they are updated so often. So test a few games and see if it is just only one or two, or all games

Comment

Working...
                    X