sata

Using windows xp home sp2 am trying to install the

sata drivers from a floppy

but every time I try to install xp and press F6 nothing

happens the F6 doesn't do anything.

Appreciate any help,

Leon

Re: sata drivers ga-ep45-ud3r

Are you aiming to use AHCI and/or Raid? If you aren't you don't need to use the f6 method to install the Intel driver as none are required.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I don't understand what AHCI or NATIVE is? But not using them and not using RAID If I don't need the drivers Am I running the sata hard drive in sata mode then?

Thanks,

Leon

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbisch View Post
        I don't understand what AHCI or NATIVE is? But not using them and not using RAID If I don't need the drivers Am I running the sata hard drive in sata mode then?

Thanks,

Leon
        I replied to another post recently about this, but basically:-

Hard Drive Options:

1) Sata Legacy Mode = For Win 98/Me, where a dedicated IRQ is required.
        2) Sata Native Mode = For Win 2000/XP/Vista
        3) Sata AHCI and /or RAID = Driver (f6 method) required at start of Windows XP installation - NOT a requirement for Vista though.

So if you are using Windows 2000/XP/Vista then you should select Sata Native Mode in the bios. Then install your Operating system as per normal - nothing else is required.

Further Info here:-

Don't forget to install the Intel chipset "driver" once Windows XP has been installed:- http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ition&lang=eng
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Sorry but I am lost I should put the bios in Native mode then I should use Ahci to install sata mode (is this going to be any faster with it)

Not exactly sure I thought the sata hard drive is operating in IDE mode so would sata be faster or it doesn't matter and also read in other posts that Ahci is slower I still can't get F6 to do anything when installing XP and drivers on floppy am looking at slipstreaming the setup Maybe I am running sata from motherboard and don't know it?

again appreciate the help

Leon

Comment

I just read the intel site you sent me to I guess I don't need the sata drivers cause not running raid. but I should still be in Native mode?

Leon

Comment

Why do you have this idea of using the F6 method?

The f6 method is for loading a driver when using AHCI and/or RAID during the initial install of WinXP. If you are not using those (ahci/raid), forget about it as it's not appilcable to you.

Set native mode in the bios to enabled and AHCI/Raid to disabled and install windows - that's all you need to do.

Note:- Ahci mode does seem to give some extra performance in "burst performance", but generally there is nothing major to be noticed or gained from it.

Edit:-
              but I should still be in Native mode?
              Yes!
              I indicated that further up the thread. You are using WinXP, so you should set the bios to native mode.
              Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that I needed to install sata drivers so I tried the f6 install didn't work but now I see I don't need the drivers only for raid which I am not runing will just set the bios to native mode and should be all set all is running well no over clocking Thanks computers today not like in the old days

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Am closing up the case and just enjoy

Leon

Comment

XP very often will need a F6 driver, it really depends on your XP Install disk.

Do you see a disk selection when you get to that format/install point of XP? If so, then you will not need a Driver via F6. Some XP install disks have drivers some do not.

So if you get to the point of install where you choose the disk to install to and do not see a disk then yes you will need a driver

What exactly are you putting on the floppy, I ask because even if your system does not need the drivers you install you should be able to see and load/choose drivers from a floppy. They do have to be extracted and not in a folder on the floppy. Again, I just ask here because I noted your comment above about F6 not working

Comment

Aargh! Trying without success to install XP on a WD Raptor (tried two different drives & cables). The mobo and drives are new. It sees the drive (SATA 0) in the BIOS. Began with FailSafe settings, then set SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to "Enabled" (RAID/ACHI is Disabled).

After chugging thru the drivers and getting the "Setup is installing Windows" message, the following message appears:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers, Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
                    STOP: Ox0000007B (OxF78DA524, Ox0000034, Ox00000000, Ox00000000"

I'm using an XP SP2 boot CD so the SATA drivers should be loading to recognize the Raptor. Are there any settings I'm missing? I even tried creating a partition and formating one of the drives on another PC. That one isn't recognized either. Gawd, I need a beer! (and some advise)

Comment

So your format and setup went ok on the other PC? I ask because some drives have to be initially setup and formatted/set active by the manufacturer tools. But if you formatted and could use the disk on another system then this would not be the case here.

Please post me a image of your Integrated peripherals BIOS page

Where do you have your CD/DVD player connected on the board as well?

Is this a known good XP install disk? I mean have you used it lately and did you burn it yourself? If so or it is old you may want to burn a New one and Burn on the SLOWEST Settings.

Here is MS page about 0x0000007B
                      Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP

Comment

Working...
                      X