EP45-UD3R , can't boot from achi dvd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R , can't boot from achi dvd.

Hello , i need your help with my new giggabyte ep45-ud3r. I'm facing a strange problem.

I have a velociraptor 300gb connected in sata0 and a lg dvd-writer sata connected in sata4. If i set ich10r mode at achi i can't boot from dvd drive using the F12 menu. A message "loading ...." appears , the dvd-drive is reading the dvd , but nothing happens.

This is very strange , since i didn'h have any problem with my previous asus p5q-e.

I have to notice that if i set the mode to IDE , then i can boot from dvd normally.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem ? What seems to be the problem ?

Re: EP45-UD3R , can't boot from achi dvd.

which OS are you running ???
    in XP you can't just enable ACHI ... that need a F6 instalation when install window.

Comment

You need to set this in the BIOS and put your CD Drive on port 3 >>>>
      SATA RAID/AHCI mode ............................... AHCI or whatever you are using (IF AHCI you do have to install drivers for XP)

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ...................... Enabled << this needs to be enabled for CD/DVD players to work correctly

__________________________________________________ ______

Or you could just connect the CD/DVD drive to the Purple ports and set this in the BIOS for that controller >>>

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ....... Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)...... IDE
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Unable to boot from CD with AHCI enabled

I have same problem but I am using EP45-UD3P (F7 bios) , I connect my DVD on SATA_02 port.

Setting

SATA RAID/AHCI mode ............................... AHCI
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ...................... Enabled

DVD won't boot but when I set

SATA RAID/AHCI mode ............................... Disabled

DVD can boot normally

Anyone know how to fix this or it is just normal problem on AHCI?

Comment

Similar thing for me, trying to boot to memtest. I use raid so its similar but different. It starts to boot from memtest but freezes at "loading", but when I disable "raid" in bios then everything works as it should. What I notice is different is with raid disabled that it shows a floppy when its booting from cd, even if you dont have a floppy drive connected.

I havent played too much with it, just figured out what would let me boot from cd.

Edit: I just tested a bunch of things. I noticed that in the 1st boot device that at the end of the list just above disabled that my sata dvd drive shows up specifically. But still didnt boot, I tried ports 02 and 05, with Native mode and Legacy mode(all combinations).

Nothing worked, also tried it with CDROM set as the 1st boot device.

It works great when you disable raid/ahci

Also I tried my IDE dvd drive that I just hooked up and the IDE drive boots w/ no issues.

I guess the next step is to try the purple sata port, will test later
          Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-29-2009, 07:24 AM.
          New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Same problem. Tried to test with Memtest but sistem freezes at "loading…" while booting from memtest disk . Do not play with settings yet. Just tried to clear up if somebody has same thing.

Comment

Often it's the bootloader on the diagnostic CD (such as memtest) being an earlier build.

I have loads of self bootable CD's, from Victoria, WDC, Mhdd and non will boot properly whilst the system is in AHCI mode.

Newer Linux distro's will and things like Acronis True Image have been updated so they will too.

Edit:

To prove the point, run a new Linux distro in Live CD Mode and see if that loads up with everything in AHCI (ie in the bios).
              Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM.
              GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yup, I find some things will boot and others (like memtest) won't with my SATA optical drive and AHCI enabled on my UD3P. The same system with a nVidia-based chipset motherboard in its place has no issues loading boot discs (including memtest) with AHCI enabled.

So now what I'm wondering is if this is a Gigabyte issue or an Intel AHCI issue.

Comment

I believe it's in the way that the OS supplied with whatever self booting utility, be it one of the Dos's or Linux types queries the devices - in this case drives that causes the problems.

For instance the rescue bootable media for Acronis True Image 11 (they are now on version 12 aka 2009) wouldn't boot when the PC was in AHCI mode on an sata cd/dvd drive. These rescue cd's i believe are based on an Linux OS.
                  However after a quick email to Acronis, I had a new version of TI 11 that had an updated bootloader/OS etc which would boot whilst the system was in AHCI.

So as far as I can see, it's not a board or AHCI issue, but simply that the creators of self booting utilities use a common generic type of selfbooting OS etc.
                  Many utilities like this are often not updated but will work on new hardware (because its low level) when in IDE mode.
                  Many newer utilities and of course linux distro's work fine with AHCI enabled. Of course if you want AHCI enabled on a linux distro, its an idea to have it in that mode to start with.
                  GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

However after a quick email to Acronis, I had a new version of TI 11 that had an updated bootloader/OS etc which would boot whilst the system was in AHCI.
                    Were you sent a newer build than 8101 for TI 11?

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                    So as far as I can see, it's not a board or AHCI issue, but simply that the creators of self booting utilities use a common generic type of selfbooting OS etc.
                    But when those discs work fine with nVidia AHCI, that does mean Intel AHCI (whether in general or on Gigabyte motherboards) is incompatible with those bootloaders.
                    Last edited by davidh44; 01-30-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidh44 View Post
                      Were you sent a newer build than 8101 for TI 11?
                      If I remember correctly Version 8101 was released shortly before TI12 (2009). However when I queried the issue the current build was 8053. I was sent just the bootable rescue media ISO (which I prefer to use anyway), which was Version 8054, that has a completely different Bootloader etc.

I'm not sure if version 8101 included the same, as version 8054 was an "alternative"

Comment

Exactly same problem like me, I try to creat memtest bootdisk with different source and also different cd but it not work

Anyone confirm if this normal problem or bug?

Originally posted by davidh44 View Post
                        Yup, I find some things will boot and others (like memtest) won't with my SATA optical drive and AHCI enabled on my UD3P. The same system with a nVidia-based chipset motherboard in its place has no issues loading boot discs (including memtest) with AHCI enabled.

So now what I'm wondering is if this is a Gigabyte issue or an Intel AHCI issue.

Comment

It's Normal - check this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X