Stuck CPU core sensor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

Have you tried RealTemp ( i gave the latest Beta link further up the thread), it has a sensor check where it does a mini type Prime95, whilst you can see if the values move.

Do try the Beta though. Also it's another means of meaurement, so if any software is causing a conflict, this gives you another chance at avoiding that.
    Make sure no other diagnostics/utilities are running at the same time.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
      Have you tried RealTemp ( i gave the latest Beta link further up the thread), it has a sensor check where it does a mini type Prime95, whilst you can see if the values move.

Do try the Beta though. Also it's another means of meaurement, so if any software is causing a conflict, this gives you another chance at avoiding that.
      Make sure no other diagnostics/utilities are running at the same time.
      I have tried the "test sensor" in real temp, and both came back 0 sensor movement.

I can only get the one core to move up in temp using Core damage. However, I have read all over the net where people are claiming they have up to a 12c difference in the temp readings between the two cores. Maybe I need to get something that can get the cores into the 50C range to see if the other core moves, but runs 10-12c cooler than the other core.

Is this issue going to cause any problems with the CPU throttling down if it gets too hot? I mean if one of the core sensors is stuck, how will it know if it overheats?
      Last edited by Keizer; 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah Zero sensor movement is a bad sign for both sensors! And I do think since coredamage only got you to 46, that may not be high enough to see if the other one will move or not.

Try a overclock and see if once you do that and run coredamage if things get any hotter. If you do not want to overclock you can just simply leave everything as it is and add .5 Vcore or so and that should for sure let you see some differences at load with your temps

Your CPU will not get throttled down unless you pump insane voltages into it. Just know that the one that works is a good idea of the others temp, I mean they are not going to be very different anyway.... So if one is 55C then you know the other is within range (+/- 5-10C) of that as well
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Has your cooler got a PWM fan and are you running it in that Auto mode?

have you the latest bios? and when checking in it, can you see the overall CPU temp vary? and if so what is the reported temp and what is your room temp?
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Has your cooler got a PWM fan and are you running it in that Auto mode?

have you the latest bios? and when checking in it, can you see the overall CPU temp vary? and if so what is the reported temp and what is your room temp?
            No, the CPU fan is not PWM. It only has three wires. I have the smart fan control disabled in the bios, and control the rpm with the RPM controller that came with this Zalman cooler. I have the CPU fan running at 2000rpm. I suppose I could slow that down to get those cores warmed up a little more.

I did flash to the new F5 bios that I found here. Using that Q-flash feature was probably the easiest bios flash I have ever done. And yes, I can see the overall CPU temp vary up and down in the bios, as well as Everest. I monitored the overall CPU temp with Everest when I ran core damage. It went from 22C up to 36c or so, and then back down after running core damage. So that part works as expected. After seeing the one core raise in temp to 46C running core damage, I can assume that the cores are both running roughly 10C warmer than the overall CPU temp.
            Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

What sort of temperature does the bios report (as it'll be hotter than at windows idle). Whats your room (ambient) temp at too?

And are you certain you have no conflicting utility programs in windows? Also are there any exclamation marks in Device manager?

Comment

What sort of temperature does the bios report (as it'll be hotter than at windows idle). Whats your room (ambient) temp at too?

And are you certain you have no conflicting utility programs in windows? Also are there any exclamation marks in Device manager?
                The bios reports around 19-20C, with the room temp at 20C.

As far as conflicting programs, this PC is pretty bare bones at this point. I have Vista 64 loaded, all system drivers, Firefox, Avast AV, and Everest. That's about it. I did not turn off windows Defender, or the AV though. Would that have an affect?

No exclamation marks in Device manager.

Comment

My E8500 behaves similar to yours. One core reads at 37C and the other at 39C. Real Temp shows no temp change unless I crank up a program that stresses the CPU. Using Intel Burn Test or Core Damage I am able to push the temps in the 40C's (hit 50C after extended Core Damage run). It would be nice to know what my idling temps are but I don't worry about it too much since the sensor seem to work when under load.
                  System Specs
                  CPU: Intel i7 870
                  CPU Fan: Zalman 10Flex
                  Motherboard: Asus P7P55-Pro
                  RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 - 2X2 gb
                  GPU: XFX 4890 1gb
                  PSU: Silverstone 700W
                  System Drive: Intel X25-M 80gb
                  Storage Drive: Hitachi 1tb
                  Case: NZXT Khaos

Comment

Originally posted by Keizer View Post
                    The bios reports around 19-20C, with the room temp at 20C.

As far as conflicting programs, this PC is pretty bare bones at this point. I have Vista 64 loaded, all system drivers, Firefox, Avast AV, and Everest. That's about it. I did not turn off windows Defender, or the AV though. Would that have an affect?

No exclamation marks in Device manager.
                    Ok, so the bios isn't seeing anything either at idle, ie temps lower than ambient.

So it does really look like your Cpu sensors aren't going to give you the ability to monitor a reasonable temperature range, which is not what they were designed to do anyway.

I think the fact that you are using a good cooler is contributing to things in this regard too, as your temps are being kept very low - which is ideal.

What you could do for peace of mind is get yourself a fan controller and back off your coolers efficiency whilst running a benchmark etc.
                    An ideal basic but good Linear Voltage Regulator is the Zalman ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
                    Unlike most controllers on the market it doesn't use a switchmode method, so it is more compatable with 3pin fans in general.

I wouldn't go mad either on trying to prove a point with something like Core Damage, it's just not worth it.
                    If you wanted to you could use a combined temperature monitor/fan controller and attach one of the thermal sensors close to the base of the Heatsink, for added peace of mind. Providing your Cooler is fitted correctly, this would give you a reasonable idea after adding on some degrees as to what your core is running at at.
                    I monitor the Northbridge on my setup aswell as another 3 points where seeing the temperatures at a glance is useful.

I use this:- ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
                    Although voltage output is through the "switchmode" method (3pin) which some fans are a bit erratic on.

Edit: What cooler are you using, I thought it wasn't the stock type? Then again I've got confused to who's got what reading through the thread lol.
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Ok, so the bios isn't seeing anything either at idle, ie temps lower than ambient.

So it does really look like your Cpu sensors aren't going to give you the ability to monitor a reasonable temperature range, which is not what they were designed to do anyway.

I think the fact that you are using a good cooler is contributing to things in this regard too, as your temps are being kept very low - which is ideal.

What you could do for peace of mind is get yourself a fan controller and back off your coolers efficiency whilst running a benchmark etc.
                      An ideal basic but good Linear Voltage Regulator is the Zalman ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
                      Unlike most controllers on the market it doesn't use a switchmode method, so it is more compatable with 3pin fans in general.

I wouldn't go mad either on trying to prove a point with something like Core Damage, it's just not worth it.
                      If you wanted to you could use a combined temperature monitor/fan controller and attach one of the thermal sensors close to the base of the Heatsink, for added peace of mind. Providing your Cooler is fitted correctly, this would give you a reasonable idea after adding on some degrees as to what your core is running at at.
                      I monitor the Northbridge on my setup aswell as another 3 points where seeing the temperatures at a glance is useful.

I use this:- ::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
                      Although voltage output is through the "switchmode" method (3pin) which some fans are a bit erratic on.

Edit: What cooler are you using, I thought it wasn't the stock type? Then again I've got confused to who's got what reading through the thread lol.
                      I have Zalman coolers on all my PC's here in the office. When I built this system for my brother, I once again installed a Zalman cooler. His PC is running the Zalman 9700.

UPDATE: I ran a very controlled test with Core damage. I removed the side of the case. I then had Everest on the desktop to monitor temps. I started core damage, and then reached in and gradually lowered the CPU fan RPM with the Zalman controller (The fan mate you link to above). I wanted to get the cores warmer then my previous test and simply could not accomplish that with the Zalman running at 2000 rpm.

Anyway, by the time I got the one core up to 48C, the other core kicked in and fluctuated between 40-41C. So, both cores do work under load, but have a slight temp difference.

This makes me feel much better because now I know the throttling will work if the cores get too warm......which is what Intel designed the whole core temp around anyway. Honestly, with this Zalman 9700, I doubt the cores will ever come close to getting too warm.
                      Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Anyway, by the time I got the one core up to 48C, the other core kicked in and fluctuated between 40-41C. So, both cores do work under load, but have a slight temp difference.

This makes me feel much better because now I know the throttling will work if the cores get too warm......which is what Intel designed the whole core temp around anyway.
                        Excellent. At least you have peace of mind that they are doing what they were designed to do and coming into play, when temperatures start to climb into the more important range.
                        I would certainly keep the Cpu even in light of this, especially if it is working well.
                        As I think Lsdme said in this thread, you could end up getting a poorer piece of silicon if you Rma'd it. Also you always run the risk of inadvertently damaging something as you dismantle things - always a PITA when you return something on a preference, rather than a must.

Comment

Excellent. At least you have peace of mind that they are doing what they were designed to do and coming into play, when temperatures start to climb into the more important range.
                          I would certainly keep the Cpu even in light of this, especially if it is working well.
                          As I think Lsdme said in this thread, you could end up getting a poorer piece of silicon if you Rma'd it. Also you always run the risk of inadvertently damaging something as you dismantle things - always a PITA when you return something on a preference, rather than a must.
                          I totally agree, and will suggest to my brother that we just keep the CPU. The system is running great, and appears to be very stable.

In the meantime, CPU fan back up to 2000RPM.

By the way, I really like that Zalman fan controller that you linked to. I am going to forward the link to my brother and see if he wants to fork out a little more cash!!

Thanks for all the help on this subject. I appreciate it.

Comment

No problem, just glad you got it sorted :-)

Comment

Nice to see it does work! I thought it may just not be getting warm enough for you to see.

I would indeed keep the CPU as it should be fine

Comment

Working...
                              X