EX58-UD5 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD5 Problem

I never installed the so-called update suggested by Automatic Updates (10/03) and have never had any issues except after booting into Vista after a cold boot into Ubuntu (btw, they're both the x64 versions). LAN also works here if I first boot into Vista, then Ubuntu, but I'm sure that you can see how annoying that can be. Can you please tell me the exact version BIOS you are using? As I said before, I'm pretty reluctant to to do an update, but if it fixes the issue, I might consider it. Also, I heard that Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04) alpha does NOT cause this problem any more so I'm thinking the latest kernel used by it might have fixed the issue. Can anyone confirm that?

Comment

G-hound,

I am currently using F7C and have had no problems with it.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

I tried to update the vista network driver the other day and after that no problems! :D

And after some help from gigabyte support they suggested that i should follow the information in this thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92769 to make sure the drivers wont get automatically "updated" to the bad version again.

/Lars

Comment

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope is out as of today (just got the e-mail a few hours ago from Canonical) and I might give it a shot in the weekend and see if it fixes anything. Thanks for the BIOS version, SnorkleZ. I'll see if a BIOS update is necessary after all.

Comment

I mentioned in a previous post (http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58...tml#post291691) that the solution for me was to use the drivers by Realtek (Realtek) both on Windows and Linux.

I recently upgraded my Mandriva to version 2009.1 Spring which uses kernel 2.6.29. In this distribution the kernel module provided by Realtek does not compile (!) but I am using the default kernel module with no problems at all.

Comment

Well you can add me to the list of GA-EX58-UD5 owners with a sudden LAN port failure . After reading this thread, I will try to update the Realtek drivers from their website. I do have the dreaded Oct 2008 version currently installed. I wonder if this LAN port problem is related in any way to my random Vista-x64 freezes ???

Update ...As others have reported ... turning the power switch off for a minute and rebooting has restored the failed port (only one failed this time). I still intend to update the Realtek drivers
              Last edited by bnc321; 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM. Reason: update power off/on fix
              Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1, BIOS F13J
              Windows 7 Pro x64
              Intel i7-920 c0
              Kingston Hyperx RAM 3x2gb PC-12800 DDR3-1600
              eVGA GeForce 250 GTS 1gb DDR3
              2x OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb
              2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
              Western Digital Raptor 150gb
              Intel X-25M SSD G2 80gb
              Plextor PX-850SA DVD
              Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550w
              Zalman 9900 cooler
              Antec P193 case
              Logitech G510 keyboard

Comment

I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 from 8.10. Aaaaaaaand.. so far, so good. I've restarted the PC several times since then and both LAN ports are detected properly both under Ubuntu and Vista. Let's hope this is the end of this certain problem :lol:. As for the Oct 2008 version of the Realtek LAN drivers, I have no intention of ever installing those, although there is a May 2009 version that I'm curious about, but since everything seems to be working just fine atm, why spoil it? :innocent:

Comment

Hi. this is Giorgio, from Rome, Italy. To make a long story short, in my opinion the problem has to come from the mobo itself, even tho the O.S. might start somehow the problem. I installed on the newly assembled EX58-UD5 mobo both Windows 7 and Fedora 11 64 (6 Gbyte Corsair Ram and Nvidia GTX 275). Evrything worked fine, when I suddenly experienced that LAN 1 (the first LAN) was not working. I tried the second OS, and found the same problem. The LAN 2 was correctly working on both os's. I was certain of a mobo failure, so I returned the system to the seller. After almost 20 days i had it back, and everything was ok. I worked for 3 months up to this morning, when the problem arises again. I must say that this time, as very probably the first time, I was trying to install Leopard for a trial, and the LAN worked also in Leopard (10.5.2). Because of Graphic adapter problem I reinstalled Leopard, and this time I experienced the LAN1 problem. I tried the other two OS's, and the LAN1 was not in function while LAN2 was OK. I cant' see how a OS could interfere with HW (the possibilities exist, but are remote, and in any case how can be them reversible?).
                  Please comment.
                  Giorgio

Comment

Please be sure you are using the latest BIOS >>

And please follow the procedure outlined here for best success >>

Comment

Re: EX58-UD5 Problem: MY PROBLEM SOLVED. AND YOURS?

Dear Lsdmeasap
                      I sent to you two private messages, starting two days ago, but got no answer. So I try to summarize my experience about the problem, hoping that someone, either you and/or a member, will feed with comments.
                      1. As I was saying to you, I am not exactly a novice in Information Technology, being 65 y.o., and having worked in the major Defence Companies, around the world, and also at the former Hughes Aircraft, Sepulveda, Culver City, L.A.
                      2. The BIOS of my motherboard is at the F7 release, which I understand is the last non beta release (all the several next, if I understand correctly, are still in the beta state, and have not been yet officially released by Gigabyte). I will appreciate very much if you could clarify this point.
                      3. Last night I intended to do a last test. My system was OFF, and I disconnected the LAN cable form the working LAN2 port, and re-connected to the NON-working LAN1 port. I realise, only in that moment, that the system, altough in the OFF state, was NOT really OFF, in the sense that there is a circuitry inside the motherboard that remains always fed with power. I seemed then to understand where the problem (my problem) was coming from: once the ethernet port goes in a NOP state (Non Operating Point) for some reason (e.g. a S/W-->H/W bad interaction, and in any case too often, as I can understand by the several LAN problem arosen), THERE IS NO WAY OF RESETTING THE LAN CIRCUITRY, because the LAN circuitry has been put, by the Mother Board Designers, within the always fed circuitry (this is my guess, but would be very surprised, should you tell me it is NOT), and the Turn-ON Reset, arising at system power-on, does'nt have any influence on this NOP state. The only way to reset the LAN circuitry is, therefore, the disconnection of the system power cable for enough time. I did it, and the LAN1 is again perfectly working, without changing any sw driver and/or BIOS release.
                      4. It could be interesting if the responsible engineers at Gigabyte could evaluate the possibility, also in terms of cost-effectiveness, of introducing a change in the next BIOS release, providing the required RESET to the LAN circuitry, at least immediately before the "LAN Cable Diagnostic Function" (I tryied also that, but had no luck).
                      5. Eventually, I believe that one should suggest to whom might experience a LAN problem, before doing a BIOS flashing or OS driver updating (if they worked once, they should keep on working), to disconnect the power cable for, let say, at least 30 seconds.
                      Have my best regards and appreciations for your job.
                      Giorgio
                      Last edited by giosic; 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X