EX58-UD5 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD5 Problem

I have also had lan problems from day one. I have a EX58-EXTREME, which also uses the Realtek 8111D chip. I installed Vista-64 first, then added OpenSUSE 11.1. The lans would vanish on about 2 out of 3 boots. Once they vanished even SMART LAN wouldn't show them after a RESET. The only way to recover is to power-down, unplug (or switch off) power supply. For me it takes 10 seconds before the light on the motherboad goes out. I then wait another 5 seconds, plug in the power supply. Then 1 out 3 boots will work with the LANs back to normal.

I fixed the problem by downloading from REALTEK (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...DownTypeID=3#2) the latest drivers, which were at the time the ones dated 11/10/2008. These drivers fixed the problem under Vista-64, but the problem remains under SUSE 11.1.

Interestingly the problem came back to Vista-64 the next day. Windows update had reloaded the old (defective) drivers (10/03/2008)! Don't let Windows load what it thinks are better drivers! after reloading the 11/10/2008 drivers Vista-64 was again fine LAN-wise. Linux still only working on some power-ups.

Upon looking at the Realtek website while verifying the link address I noticed that Realtek has released new drivers dated 12.31.08! Maybe the new one will fix this problem under linux! You've gotta respect them releasing new drivers on New Years Eve. Clearly they are addressing some problems.

I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

UPDATE: Installing the 12.31.08 package from Realtek borked my system! I had to do a restore. I'd advise caution for anyone who tries it. I'll look into the issue more tomorrow.
    Last edited by SnorkleZ; 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Yes, please try the Direct from RealTek drivers, I always get my drivers direct from the source.

I suggested the ram test due to your booting issues not anything to do with your network, sorry for that confusion

Comment

hey Lsdmeasap,

by booting problems i always talked about the network controler. My system boots fine. It just sometimes seem to have a problem with the network controler.

I'll try the direct driver right now. :-)

Thanks
        bee

Comment

Hi,

I also always get this problems when i run linux and ATI graphics drivers, if i run with the default graphics it works alright but not with the latest ATI drivers. In Vista x64 it works fine even without updating the network drivers.
          I also have a problem that it randomly reboots without logging any errors, i also anly get this when using the ATI drivers both in vista and Linux...

I have a EX-UD5 and a ATI 4670 also Gigabyte.

Comment

Any luck with the Direct Drivers?

Comment

Problem still remains for me after booting into linux anyone with a solution for this, seems like many have this problem...

Comment

Mine has now been working flawlessly under both Vista-64 and Fedora-10. I have been using a later (beta) bios, which I suspect fixed the problem. I am using Nvidia graphics. But I'm still afraid to let Windows install the driver update dated 10/03/2008!

Comment

Still not working for me on my EX58-UD4P with latest beta BIOS F7D. LAN will just disappear from BIOS (check by pressing F9) until I power down the CPU. Gets messed up more frequently when booting into Linux than Windows, but when it happens the BIOS can't access the LAN either, so it must be at least partially a BIOS issue.

Comment

Have you reported this issue to the Tech team? If so, what was their reply?
                    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Comment

Anything new on this problem? I am experiencing it too, have emailed Gigabyte (pointing to the current discussion) and waiting for their reply.
                      Where have you gotten the beta bios from?

Comment

Latest Beta BIOS can always be obtained here >>

Comment

What finally worked for me was to use Realtek's latest drivers for the network cards, on both Windows and Linux. With these drivers, so far I have no more problems. On Linux, of course, if I change kernel I have to rebuild the module, but that is a small annoyance... Of course, if network cards disappear, I must cut off the power (switch off PSU / remove cable) for a few minutes in order to get them back.

Comment

Guys,

I know that this may sound like a very simplistic solution but for those of you with Windows you need to turn off "Windows Automatic Update". If you have it on it will keep updating the NIC drivers to an October 2008 version which are totally incompatible with the Gigabyte Boards. Those of you who get the problem about once a week - I am willing to bet that is when you have the Auto updates scheduled to run. I hope this helps some of you with this problem.

Comment

I'm kinda glad to see that I'm not the only EX58-UD5 owner experiencing this particular problem. I'm having the exact same issues as previous posters: if I boot into Ubuntu 8.10 (which I have installed after Vista x64), my network cards are not detect, although they are detected if I enter Ubuntu after having previously shut down the system and pressed that wonderful little Clear CMOS button, but then if I restart into Vista, the cards will not be detected. I've considered doing a BIOS update, but I am very skeptical about doing so, although SnorkleZ seems to have found the magical BIOS update that would fix this and I am very curios as to what that is. I'd really appreciate a reply from him, and I suspect I wouldn't be the only one Also, for Lsdmeasap's curiousity, I seem to remember having issues with the network under Ubuntu even when running the LiveCD, but back then I just thought the ISP was experiencing some technical difficulties or something of the sort. I guess I was wrong Anyway... I really hope we can get to the bottom of this problem ASAP because I need to be able to enter Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro for that matter, although there really doesn't seem to be any difference between them when it comes this particular problem) for university work.
                              I'm pretty sure this problem has something to do with Ubuntu or pretty much the linux kernel, it would seem because of the multitude of distros this has happened on. A very strange thing that i have noticed, and am curios if anyone else's system has done this, is that after restarting from Ubuntu, the system begins to do a normal reboot, all the lights on the mobo turn on, then it completely shuts down for a few seconds after which it boots up normally and THE problem occurs. So it seems to me like something happens to the BIOS and when it shuts down instead of starting up it's actually restoring the BIOS due to an error. I hope this helps identify the problem. Also, I'm curios if the Gigabyte team couldn't get a EX58-UD5 mobo F3 BIOS and try to replicate this issue and maybe actually get to the bottom of this problem.
                              Last edited by G-hound; 04-19-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

G-hound,

I really think that under Windows the key is to not use or let Windows' Automatic-Update install that 10/03 dated driver.

The latest bios releases work well on this issue - I've been afraid to go back to the original one as a test for fear of starting this problem up again.

When the board first came out (seems so long ago!) I found that Fedora 10 worked right out of the box. I had trouble with Ubuntu 8.10, Mandriva, SuSE (almost worked with slight problem) and others. I believe that people *are* using Ubuntu and of course most any should work when used with a recent enough kernel build or module.

At the time, I was dual-booting Vista-64 and Fedora 10, and while the Windows 10/03 driver problem explains how I fixed this problem in Windows it seems puzzling that this problem still existed under Linux. I noticed that once the problem occurs, it never goes away until a power-reset, so perhaps I was just booting into Linux after having run Windows, and Linux wasn't the problem - whatever hardware was locked-up by the problem under Windows just needed to be power-reset before I ran Linux. I hope that makes sense.

I might not normally have been tempted to upgrade the bios to a beta version either, but this motherboard was so new, and also exhibiting problems with AHCI that needed to be fixed that I decided it was necessary. I'm glad Gigabyte is continuing to improve the bios!

I assume that most people have been fixing this successfully since there hasn't been that much traffic in this thread. Hearing from a few more who have fixed this issue and how they did it would help us to see what helps the most.

Now back to my latest fun - getting 3-d acceleration working in my virtual machines!

Comment

Working...
                                X