Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Mem Diagnostic - Feedback Wanted

Guys,

Just looking to see (as there isn't much info on the net) as to how many of you that use Vista, have tried Vista's Built in Memory Diagnostic.

Specifically there seems to be a problem with the progress bar on the Extended Test that stays on 21% for ages. Has anyone else come across this and how long the extended test takes to complete. (I believe the default is two loops). I thought at first the PC had locked up, yet I was able to exit the test and quickly try the standard test - so a lockup was ruled out.

The Test Options are:-
    1) Basic
    2) Standard
    3) Extended

Type:- (think i've got the right order here)
    1) Default
    2) Cache on
    3) Cache off

Then theres a section for you to set up how many times you want the test to loop.

From Windows the test is launched Via a Restart. Access via Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Memory Diagnostics tool.

Thanks....
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Re: Vista Mem Diagnostic - Feedback Wanted

VorLon,

I used Vista's memory testign tool once and while I didn't notice a hang at 21%, but it did take a while to complete the total test. (Probably 45 minutes or so)

I've been having problems with my memory and used this test befor memtest86+ v2.01. Vista reported no errors while memtest did on its 7th cycle.

Comment

The more I've tried the Vista memory Diagnostic the more I can see the progress scale is not linear. The two points it slows down at on the Extended test are 21% and 90%.
      I'm not sure if the latter test is a timed "Bit fade" test as per the advanced optional test on Memtest.
      Enabling the cache option does speed up tests significantly, but the results are said to be less accurate than if the default option is used.

I would use both the Vista test and Memtest on your ram and if you are finding a few errors (in the latter), a simple tweaking of your ram settings will probably sort things out.

Because Vista uses ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), you can't get away with any less than perfect memory/memory settings that you could say with XP.

Edit: I see you are using Ocz DDR3, what's your tRFC set at?
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

my HP lappy is crawling when it hits 21% on extended. i think something is wrong with the north bridge, not the memory, or temps. none of my other computers slow down at this point on vista memory checker-extended.

memtest86+ doesn't always identify problems, but vista-extended will. the other guy probably ran the default settings.

Comment

Working...
        X