Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Move RAID 1 From DS3R to UD3P ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Move RAID 1 From DS3R to UD3P ?

I have a Vista x64 OS RAID 1 set on a GA-EP35 DS3R and want to move it to my GA-EP45-UD3P.

The DS3R is a ICH9R Chipset and the UD3P is ICH10R Chipset.

So if it's not plug & play how can I do it without a reinstall of all the software?

Thanks
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Re: How Do I Move RAID 1 From DS3R to UD3P ?

you should with no problem .... i move from EP35C-DS3R to EP45-UP3D... when the window boot up .. it will load all the driver ... you will also need install disk or go to gigabyte download

Comment

I do read you can move from ICH9R to ICH10R and not do a reinstall. I would for sure do a mirror/backup of the Install so you can restore it to your new array incase that fails!

And plug the drives into the same numbered ports as well just for safety purposes

Comment

Thanks Guys,

It went like a dream. I only had one hardware issue and minor tweaks to polish.
        My video resolution was @ 800x600 so I reset that. Just a very few like that.
        My Koutech PCI 1394 a/b card could not locate the driver Unibrain driver. I could not find it. I went to my downloads folder and re-ran it and she is good.
        1. Installed new mobo, plugging in all the hardware and HDD's.
        2. Booted up and it posted up with the single beep the 1st time.
        3. Ready at the Delete key I went straight into the BIOS.
        4. Selected the RAID option and a few normal things like the 64bit thing, boot order, blah blah.
        5. Exited and saved and BAMMY MY MAMMY!
        6. Slipped in the Gigabyte Chip set disc and let her eat.

Comments: These WD RE3 750GB's are no slow dogs.
        Man! The things we used to deal with the old days. It's nice to see we have progressed. Going from Gigabyte to Gigabyte had to help. This is my second Gigabtye new board start up and both were very silky smooth.
        Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
        Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
        Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
        Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
        1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
        Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
        Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

Great to hear your upgrade went smoothly!

Comment

Almost all RAIDs store metadata about the arrays into the disks. Array size, mode, which member this disk is in the array, how many disks there are in the array, etc.

The hard part is, that there is no standard metadata format. Nforce4 and Silicon Image 3114 did not even write the metadata into same space, ie one did not (apparently) overwrite the other. The good part is that Intel seems to have been using the same format from ICH8 onwards. And driver compatibility seems "good enough". That is why these 9->10 updates are relatively painless.

RAID or no RAID, transferring OS to different hardware can be the harder nut. The third party drivers, you either have them, or don't. A mere "change motherboard from IDE to AHCI" is a juggle (but doable).

One more bit about Windows in particular. The MS seems to consider change of motherboard an act of creating a new computer, and OEM version does not include "right to transfer". A very difficult topic, as replacement of broken motherboard is not a creation of new computer.

Comment

Working...
            X