Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep45-ds4p fried>!!>! Sparks and smoke

PLS HELP,
    Ok. sooo, brand new build assembled just yesterday.
    -EP45-DS4P
    -xfx 8800GTS 512 alpha dog edition
    -PC P&C 750 Silencer Quad Black
    -Vista Premium 64bit
    -Corsair Dominator XMS2 pc8500 w/ fan
    -pioneer 216dbk
    -WD Caviar 640gb
    -Antec p182

I installed Vista and decided to setup my internet connection first so I could download the latest drivers for all my parts (Had to buy a wireless usb adapter compatible with vista 64bit):

I then downloaded the latest drivers for the 8800gts 512 (vista64X) and rebooted. The computer hung so I restarted, I tried again , same thing. Booted in safe mode and made it to desktop where I then tried intalling the gpu drivers from the cd accompanied with the card thinking the latest driver off the internet were flop. Restarted, same hang all over again. Now thinking I've screwed something up, I tried reinstalling vista. Went to boot menu, chose cd drive and pressed enter...

Heres when the fun begins. I here snap crackle popping for about 3sec. and a steady 6sec stream of smoke poored out of the fans ports..It shut down on its own after that. I opened the case up to look for scorch/burn marks and noticed some at the edge, beneath/under the board at the atx 24pin power connector.. soo, the mobo and psu connectors are fine (not burnt), its underneath the board at the edge where I can see the scorching.. so just too make sure I try starting it one more time, and BAM,, sparks + smoke and auto shut off!!

I took the board back to Canada Computers and had them look at to see if I had screwed the install up.. Nope, they said everthing was hooked properly and also reminded me that they would not take the board back as defective because its been scorched!!!

Need some advice on what to do now.
    wrestle with gigabyte for a new board, or chain myself to the shelving in Canada Computers until they exchange the defective product?

ps, NO bios modifications were made whatsoever, I had planned on OCing once I bought a HSF

Thanks
    BRENDAN

Re: Ep45-ds4p fried>!!>! Sparks and smoke

Sounds like the 24pin Atx solder pins (under the board), have come into contact with your case/case standoff/any raised metalwork etc. If the PCB is marked/scorched underneath, that could indicate there was a short on the board itself.

The PSU atx standard says that the PSU should shut down when a short/overcurrent scenario exists - so your PSU is doing what it should do.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Keeping in mind that I am not a lawyer and do tend to be easily amused I think I'd prolly go with option "B" if you are certain that the board was installed properly and chain you to a shelf in the store just for the entertainment factor. Wearing a t-shirt with the logo "This store screwed me - Ask me how" may also create some interesting effects. Attempting to speak to a real manager instead of a kid following a memorized script may also help but is not nearly as fun. Personally I've found that walking in with several of my largest buddies wearing muscle shirts/ black leather jackets and politely telling the clerk what I expect to happen can be very effective as well. You may also want to check out the PSU and be sure that it is outputting the correct power on the correct wires.... just in case.
      Last edited by PrairieDawg; 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Since you said that the visit to the store was useless, next step before a court action could be fill a complain at the BBB Canada office (Better Business Bureau, Canadian Council of Better Business Bureaus ).
        Usually, medium/large companies did not do any action against those people.
        Good luck.
        GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
        i5-4690K + Corsair H90
        Sapphire Radeon R7 240
        16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
        Corsair CX750M
        Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

I would go back to the store, and speak with someone else (Preferably a manager) and tell them you are a professional and you build systems daily. Tell them as soon as you powered the board on the short happened

Tell them you know it is the solder on the back of the board that caused it as you had it on a plexiglass testing tray.

I have no doubt they will switch you out with a new board if you ask the right person the right way.

And yes, I would as said above test the PSU with a Tester before you try to use it in anything else to be sure it is wired properly

Comment

Just wanted to thank all who replied. I was actually dealing with the store manager from the beginning. When I went back I dealt with him again and the same outcome.. "the board is now considered physically damaged; warranty is void." He kept saying that CC's rma dept is going to reject the board because of this. I insisted that he send it anyway to at least try. Now I'm starting to think I shoulda brought the cuffs.

I also contacted Gigabyte and explained almost exactly how u'd mentioned Lsdmeasa. They asked if the board had made contact with the case in any way and I assured them it hadn't b/c CC looked for that specifically. I told them about the "marks" on the board, not referring to them as "burn marks" and the guy then directed me to the RMA web page to fill out the form.. I was surprised how quickly the conversation halted after the "marks" comment.
            The form specifically mentions the warranty is void if "burns are present due to faulty or failure of electrical systems". Aren't all burns due to faulty or failure of elec systems???

I'm thinking Gigabyte just wants me to send the board out to be rejected?? Just me losing faith in Gigabyte??

thnks again
            Brendan

Comment

Well, Hope not! Not all burn marks can be the fault of the end user. Boards electric traces can short anytime and they know that.

Did he say you could RMA after you said "Marks" or before? Not sure, but I do know a burn does not always mean it is the end users fault.

Hope they do RMA it for you

Comment

Originally posted by EP45-DS4P-VISTA64-8400 View Post
                The form specifically mentions the warranty is void if "burns are present due to faulty or failure of electrical systems". Aren't all burns due to faulty or failure of elec systems???

I'm thinking Gigabyte just wants me to send the board out to be rejected?? Just me losing faith in Gigabyte??

thnks again
                Brendan
                It is not uncommon to have some part of the ground plane of a multi-layer PCB short-circuited with data, power lines and upper and lower pads.
                I think that was your case. And, of course, that was not your fault.

Did you asked any advice at BBB? It is free to visit or call by phone. There is nothing to loose...
                GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
                i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
                Corsair CX750M
                Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Working...
                X