Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if you overcook BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if you overcook BIOS settings?

Hi

Can someone tell me what options one has if for example in worst case that after messing about in BIOS, say trying to overclock a gigabyte MB and I assume you could reach the stage where it refuses to complete POST, is that possible?

If it is;

1. What options will one have to get back to a POST screen where you could enter BIOS to undo last changes?

2. It begs the question why have dual BIOS but not have a method to access it simply like through a keyboard key that stores the one before last BIOS settings and the other dual BIOS the settings that messed up the PC, that's what I thought orginally was going to happen when I heard of DUALBIOS

krishan
    krishan

EP45-DS4
    E8500
    4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
    Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
    XFX 898MB 260GTX
    Corsair HX620

Re: What happens if you overcook BIOS settings?

Originally posted by krishcanag View Post
    Hi

Can someone tell me what options one has if for example in worst case that after messing about in BIOS, say trying to overclock a gigabyte MB and I assume you could reach the stage where it refuses to complete POST, is that possible?

If it is;

1. What options will one have to get back to a POST screen where you could enter BIOS to undo last changes?

2. It begs the question why have dual BIOS but not have a method to access it simply like through a keyboard key that stores the one before last BIOS settings and the other dual BIOS the settings that messed up the PC, that's what I thought orginally was going to happen when I heard of DUALBIOS

krishan
    Usually if the values you have set up in the bios are way out there, upon saving the bios and then rebooting the new settings will not be saved. That's how I have found things to be.

The Virtual dual Bios has been on Gigabyte boards since 2003 I believe and comprises of an HPA on your primary hard drive the size of around 2100 512byte sectors, which equates to just over 1MB where a raw/iso bios image is stored.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

would shorting the reset pins on the MB (CMOS_CLEAR) be another option?

Do you have to buy a pin link to keep it there as some seem to suggest for 20 mins, cannot hold a screwdriver for that long and did not see any female double pin in the MB kit.

krishan
      krishan

EP45-DS4
      E8500
      4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
      Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
      XFX 898MB 260GTX
      Corsair HX620

Comment

Yes you can clear the CMOS, see here in post #2 >>>

All you need is a IDE or Optical Jumper

To answer the original Questions

Yes, some settings will cause a NON post. Some will error and just go to default, and some may even corrupt your hard drive

Dual BIOS is two physical chips that store 2 copies of the BIOS, if one fails the other is supposed to kick in and copy over.

Some boards Like DQ6 allow you to manage the BIOS's others do not.

Comment

Working...
        X