Big Problems after attempting small OC on GA-EP43-DS3L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Problems after attempting small OC on GA-EP43-DS3L

Earlier today, I changed the GPU clock for my HD4850 and my memory clock to 750 and 1058, respectively. Later, I attempted a very modest overclock on my Q6600 and 2x2GB OCZ Platinum PC2 8500 sticks. I increased the FSB for the ram and cpu from 1066 to 1100 and reduced the latency of my ram from 5-7-7-20 to 5-5-5-20 simultaneously while also increasing the ram voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V. Immediately after hitting save, my computer shut off, and every time it reboots it gives me a CMOS check-sum error, searches for it and about 4 seconds later restarts the computer. During this time I am unable to get any keyboard input through using either USB or PS2 keyboards. I tried taking out the ram individually and moving them around. I also tried a large number of combinations involving the CMOS reset jumper, removing the battery, and allowing different amounts of time for it to sit. Nothing has improved the situation in any way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I may attempt to fix this or things I should avoid in the future?

I am using the Corsair VX550 PSU.

The exact message I'm getting is:

"WARNING: BACKUP BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!"
    "BIOS AUTO-RECOVERING..............." *reboots*
    Last edited by losse; 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM.

Re: Big Problems after attempting small OC on GA-EP43-DS3L

I just noticed I'm running the F6 version of bios, and that it only supports up to 1066Mhz for ram...if I set my ram above this could it result in the corruption of my bios?

Comment

The thing is you are probably using 800Mhz ram that has been binned (selected) for a 1066 Product because it performs so well and has that extra headroom. You usually pay for that privilege and although you have attempted a modest overclock above the products rating, you are technically overclocking an overclock - so it should be expected that the RAM's abilities may fall away rapidly after that.

As for the bios, you could update that, especially as you suggest the newer bios has fewer memory speed limitations.

For now though, load up the bios optimised defaults and save and reboot. Check that way to see if any corruption issues have been corrected.

Edit:

If this is worded correctly, it suggests....

"WARNING: BACKUP BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!"
      "BIOS AUTO-RECOVERING..............." *reboots*
      that the backup bios, which one resides on your Primary hard Drive in an HPA which you can't access. It is possible that may have been corrupted and now has been re-written.
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008, 08:32 AM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post

For now though, load up the bios optimised defaults and save and reboot. Check that way to see if any corruption issues have been corrected.
        I want to do that, but I don't know how without keyboard input.

Comment

Today, I tried booting it with the unzipped files burned onto a bootable CD and later on a data CD. Neither of these got a different response.

Vorlonuk, is it possible to load up the bios optimized settings without keyboard input? I have no keyboard input at all the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by losse View Post
            Today, I tried booting it with the unzipped files burned onto a bootable CD and later on a data CD. Neither of these got a different response.

Vorlonuk, is it possible to load up the bios optimized settings without keyboard input? I have no keyboard input at all the entire time.
            You do need the keyboard to access the bios and then of course to change anything in it.

I've found both PS/2 and USB keyboards are fine for accessing the bios under normal circumstances.

It does sound like your bios could have become corrupt and it seems you have tried alot to reset it. There is a possibility you could try a blind flash and there is some info at the guide on the top of this first forum page.

Also, I know you say you have tried swapping the memory etc, but have you just tried one stick at a time?
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Do you have a floppy installed? If so you can force it to clear the DMI poll and Cmos with a flash.

If you do not and have a CD burner or USB you can flash normally with Qflash by using the newer flashspi file which will require no user intervention. Flashspi can be found here >>>

Get it and put that and the BIOS file and a properly edited .bat file (You need to change the name to match your BIOS file) on the CD and then hit F12 to boot from CD

And as said above a PS2 keyboard should work always, are you sure that one you have is good?

If you need me to make you a silent flash package like described above let me know and I can.

You can get into the BIOS or qflash right?

Comment

I don't believe that's the case. I'm assuming that there is no response whatsoever when using the keyboard, so the PC goes into a continual reboot?

Have you repeatedly hit the DEL key or the F12 key to see if you can access the bios or the bios load screen during the reboot cycle?

Comment

Do you have a floppy installed? If so you can force it to clear the DMI poll and Cmos with a flash.
                  I have access to a floppy drive, but I didn't change my boot order before I lost my keyboard input. I'm not sure if the default boot order is set to boot off a floppy.

And as said above a PS2 keyboard should work always, are you sure that one you have is good?
                  I'm sure the PS2 keyboard works because it works on other computers, but I have no way of verifying if PS2 keyboards have worked properly with my setup because I never attempted to use them before this problem.

If you need me to make you a silent flash package like described above let me know and I can.

That would be great if you would make that for me (I'm using F6). I'm getting near the end of my attempts to fix it before I send it back, and I wouldn't want my flashing to fail because I did it wrong. I can not get into BIOS or qflash. All I have is about 5 seconds of monitor input while the screen says "BIOS AUTO-RECOVERING............" and in this time, I have no keyboard input whatsoever. The lights of the keyboard are on, but the key commands aren't going through.

I don't believe that's the case. I'm assuming that there is no response whatsoever when using the keyboard, so the PC goes into a continual reboot?

Have you repeatedly hit the DEL key or the F12 key to see if you can access the bios or the bios load screen during the reboot cycle?
                  Yes, that is correct. I have hit the del, f12, and escape keys hundreds of times easily through all parts of my computers startup cycle.

Comment

I just had a thought about this that may have no effect at all. You could disconnect your hard drives sata data cable (assuming it's sata and you have ONE HD) and see if the PC reboots or Not and if you can enter the bios.

It's just that your bios error message is a bit cryptic and the fact that Gigabyte's Virtual bios written raw/iso file resides in a HPA of your primary hard drive. If this is corrupt, it could be causing a reboot loop. (well in theory anyway)

Comment

Unplugging the HD had no effect.

Do you think replacing the motherboard would likely fix the problems I've been having. If I switched to a different motherboard, would the software/whatever cause any problems or slow down the system?

Also, I took my harddrive out and had it boot a friend's computer, do you think any of the automatically installed software from this interaction would affect performance in any way? Would the changes be difficult to undo?

Comment

I fixed my problem!! I disconnected everything unnecessary and short-circuited two pins on my backup bios chip and it loaded everything!

Comment

So, I just answered your PM's and decided to find your thread before I got any further with other posts so I could see if you have posted any info yet.

So are you all good now? Sounds like it. From your PM's sounds like you should be once you set your disk settings again, so if you are still having issues please let me know and I will try to help you further.

Good luck, and hope you got it. Sounds to me as if you did since you got to the Checksum error page.

Keep us posted when you get in

Comment

Yes, everything is fixed. I was able to load windows but every time I restarted, the same error occurred until I short-circuited the chip again. After I updated bios and set CMOS to optimized settings, it stopped giving me the error after each restart...so everything is back to normal. Thank you all for your help.

I heard that the default bios settings on this motherboard for some of my components are not ideal. Can I pretty much just look at similar systems with stock cooling and set my configurations similarly or do these vary significantly among motherboards?

I'm running:
                            Q6600 processor
                            HD4850 video card
                            2x2GB OCZ Platinum sticks
                            EP43-DS3L mobo
                            on Windows XP using stock cooling

Comment

Nice! Was hoping it was, and thought it had to be from your PM's

Ya, any settings you see me advise for ranges for your board would be fine for you to use. Just keep a eye on if they are for similar ram speed, and of couse CPU voltage and such may not be the same. But yes, most all settings I provide for a P45 or P43 would be for you as well, at least the memory timings if you look at 2x2 suggested ones.

If you would like some suggested specifically for you I can, link me to your ram and fill this out with what you are using now and I will try to get back to you tonight before I leave >>>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                              [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
                              Robust Graphics Booster ...............: 
                              CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
                              Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                              CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                              [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                              CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                              CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                              [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                              CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 
                              PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 
                              CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                              MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                              [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                              (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                              System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
                              Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
                              DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                              CAS Latency Time........................
                              tRCD .........................................
                              tRP'...........................................
                              tRAS..........................................

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                              tRRD...........................................
                              tWTR..........................................
                              tWR............................................
                              tRFC...........................................
                              tRTP...........................................
                              Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                              Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
                              Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                               tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                               tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                               tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
                              Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
                               tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                              tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                               tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                               tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                              Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                              Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                              Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                              Voltage Type.………... Manual
                              [b]CPU[/b]
                              CPU Vcore….……….........................:
                              CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
                              CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                              MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
                              MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                              MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                              ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                              ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                              DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
                              DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                              Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                              Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                              Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                              Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                              Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                              Again, Great to see that link I gave you helped and that you are all up and running now

Comment

Working...
                              X