Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowering MCH core voltage brings stability!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering MCH core voltage brings stability!

LSD, we have seen from my experience with the GA-EP45-DS3L and from a few other posters that lowering the MCH core voltage from the standard bios value of 1.10v to 1.05v suddenly brings stability to some misbehaving boards.

You suggested that maybe the bios is incorrectly indicating 1.10v but actually providing more voltage. If that is so, how would the user know how much actual voltage is provided so as to know how much to lower the setting?

Is there a software program that shows the actual voltage provided to the MCH? Perhaps Everest or something else?

Should this issue be reported to Gigabyte through official channels?

Re: Lowering MCH core voltage brings stability!

Originally posted by ed1 View Post
    LSD, we have seen from my experience with the GA-EP45-DS3L and from a few other posters that lowering the MCH core voltage from the standard bios value of 1.10v to 1.05v suddenly brings stability to some misbehaving boards.

You suggested that maybe the bios is incorrectly indicating 1.10v but actually providing more voltage. If that is so, how would the user know how much actual voltage is provided so as to know how much to lower the setting?

Is there a software program that shows the actual voltage provided to the MCH? Perhaps Everest or something else?

Should this issue be reported to Gigabyte through official channels?
    I have found the same when Overclocking my board, that increasing the MCH value results in instability earlier in the overclock.

I think too, that many aspects are addressed in bios updates that don't neccessarily make it to the release info. So for instance, incrementing the MCH by 0.2volts on your board with Bios F1z may not have the same result as incrementing your board by 0.2volts with Bios F3z etc...
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I think it is the various BIOS versions change the value more then it is a a board specific issue. I will try to keep track of what specific boards I see this on and if there is a pattern to boards or BIOS versions I will let Gigabyte know

Comment

Do you know of any software that shows the actual voltage/amps for the RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by ed1 View Post
          Do you know of any software that shows the actual voltage/amps for the RAM?
          Most utility type software will interpret the data on the SMbus and report back - hence so many utilities out there say something different.

For DDR1/2/3 I use either HWmonitor or PCwizard both from CPUID

However, I believe a good start is to check what your bios displays on the PCHealth Screen whilst in the bios. Remember to re-check the PCHealth screen after you have changed a voltage, saved the bios settings and Rebooted the PC.

I've never seen Current (Amps) monitored on Ram though - as it wouldn't really tell you anything of use.
          Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-01-2008, 08:28 AM.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I use Everest Ultimate for Ram Voltages, and Easytune will report it as well. And as said above PC health section of your BIOS will also tell you

Comment

Working...
            X