X-fire: does not show in Catalyst Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X-fire: does not show in Catalyst Center

WOW, no kidding! What did your supplier say about this?

Maybe you should just get a Intel based board and use Crossfire?

Comment

My supplier is in contact with Gigabyte too.

Intel-based mobo? And who will pay for my replacement cpu?
      I think the shop will consider a board replacement (not exchange anymore) after they got final word from Gigabyte. Both them and I have mailed them about the issue, we await the answer.

I like this board because I can get it to work with my WD Velociraptor (I had huge problems on this issue with a MSI K9A2 platinum V1 mobo: no OS install possible at all on the WD velociraptor), because it has 6 SATA ports and because everything else works fine. But if the second PCI-E port is dead on all three mobo's, then there is a serious manufacturer issue. We see how Gigabyte will respond; I will keep you posted.

Comment

HAHA< Ya! Sorry about that comment, I just see some many issues with Nvidia and AMD chipset boards I had to say it I suppose

Yes, please do post about what you and your supplier finds out from Gigabyte. Sounds as if it should be interesting!

Comment

Finally some more news.

First a recap: 2 HD4850 graphics cards in a Gigabyte mobo GA-MA790GP-DS4H; a card in the frist PCI-E slot (16x) always works, a card in the second PCI-E slot never works, no matter what bios settings (standard, PEG, PEG-1, PCI, "fail safe defaults", ...). This is the third mobo, all brand new out of sealed boxes. "Never works" means: no display at all even at post.

I installed the latest vga drivers from ATI, the bios was upgraded to the most recent, all per instructions from both Gigabyte and ATI helpdesks. And yes, the powercables are connected, and they both supply sufficient power. ATI threw in the towel two weeks ago, since it seemed more of a hardware issue with the combination mobo and vga cards. This week finally also Gigabtye gave up and advised me to get it solved thru the shop.

Now yesterday I receive back a repaired 8800GT -recovered from another system- and today , when installing this card in the second PCI-E slot, I DO GET DISPLAY!!!
          And now for the big surprise.... : I install again one of the HD4850 cards in the second PCI-E slot, AND I DO GET DISPLAY!!!!! Funny thing is that the originally installed driver, which I did install for the card when placed in the first PCI-E slot, are not detected, and I have to reinstall the ATI drivers and CCC software.

Then I tried the other HD4850 card in this second slot, and again NO DISPLAY. Then I reinstall the 8800GT, and I do get display. Then again the first HD4850 and now NO DISPLAY. Then again the 8800GT and I have display, then again the first HD4850 and I again I HAVE DISPLAY. I did not yet dare try the second HD4850 card in the first PCI-E slot.

Halloween is long gone, but I believe ghosts are at work; there seems to be no logic to the symptoms and the sequence of events. The only thing I can think of now is that one or both HD4850 cards are (intermittently) defective when placed in the second PCI-slot. Please advise... I get exasperated.
          Last edited by Brice3010; 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

sorry, this was double post

Comment

And now for the big news:

I installed the other card, in the first slot now, connected the cables and started up, and both cards are being detected. Crossfire works..................

But for no apparent reason it now works, and for a full month of trying it did not. Except that I did install a totally different card (8800GT) in the second slot this morning....

Any clues???

Comment

Wow! No, I am as clueless as you!!!!

I would for sure leave it as is now incase the ghosts do come back

Glad to hear you finally got it working!

Comment

Well, I dare not touch anything in my computer now anymore.

Thank you so much all of you here on the forum; and especially very big kudos for you, Lsdmeasap, for all the feedback, help and support!!!

Comment

I bet!

Thanks for your kind words, and I am glad to see you finally got this fixed up and are all running smoothly now!

Comment

Working...
                    X