X-fire: does not show in Catalyst Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-fire: does not show in Catalyst Center

I have a Gigabyte mobo and 2 Gigabyte graphics cards (HD4850, or GV-R485-512H-B) installed.
    I installed, per manual instructions, one card first, in the pci-e x16 slot, and installed the card drivers and CCC from the cd. Then I installed the second card, connected them with the X-fire bridges, and opened Catalyst Control Center. No Crossfire box to be seen!

How can I enable Crossfire on these cards?
    Last edited by Brice3010; 11-09-2008, 06:12 AM. Reason: title does not reflect actual problem anymore

Re: X-fire: does not show in Catalyst Center

You must reinstall the drivers after the second card is installed, did the directions leave that out????

Best to install the newest drivers instead of CD ones as they are likely much older >>>
    Drivers & Software

Comment

Thanks!! My stupidity; in my haste to get it work I overlooked that.

Comment

Nice to hear you got it! Ya, we often overlook the small stuff in a Hurry to get out new systems running!

Post back if you have any more issues anytime!

Comment

I did install the new drivers, on a reinstall of win xp (complete, no repair).
          Both graphics cards are present, and in bios I set the valu for first vga device, per manual, to PEG.
          Still no crossfire shown in CCC, and my second card is not even detected in hardware devices. The card is fine, I did get Crossfire to detect and work on a MSI mobo.
          Any suggestions please?

Comment

The GFX drivers MUST be installed twice If you are having issues. Once initially for the one card, then shut down and insert the second card and install the driver package again and reboot >>>

Comment

That is what I did; reinstall drivers after inserting second card. But in Device Properties, only one card shows up.
              In bios, I set the graphics card setting for PCI-E, per the manual.
              Also the powezr cables and the X-fire bridges on both cards are installed. Upon boot, both cards quickly speed up their respective fans, so this means they are detected, but nothing shows in Device Properties.
              Driver version: 8.541.0.0; CCC version: 8.10

Comment

In the BIOS you need to set PEG

Hmm, very odd for sure. You do have your chipset drivers installed right? Have you tested each card seperately to be sure they both work? Is your PSU enough to power both? Good 12V rails for the cards?

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I just swapped both cards, reinstalled chipset drivers (latest ones downloaded from Gigabyte), 12V is present, the psu is 650W. Anyway, the crossfire setup with these cards worked with a MSI 9KA1 mobo (which I had exchanged after serious compatibility problems with my WD Velociraptor: the MSI would not recognise this drive).
                  Anyway, now this mobo does not yet recognise my second graphics card. I will try and reboot now with my monitor in the second card and report back shortly.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like maybe you have a DOA card. You should be able to just remove one from slot one and place the other in there and it work with no driver reinstalls or anything like that since they are the same cards

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I just swapped both cards, reinstalled chipset drivers (latest ones downloaded from Gigabyte), 12V is present, the psu is 650W. Anyway, the crossfire setup with these cards worked with a MSI 9KA1 mobo (which I had exchanged after serious compatibility problems with my WD Velociraptor: the MSI would not recognise this drive).
                      Anyway, now this mobo does not yet recognise my second graphics card. I will try and reboot now with my monitor in the second card and report back shortly.

Comment

Both cards work in the 16x slot (PEG); nothing works in the 8x slot (PEG1).
                        Bad mobo?

Comment

Did you set PEG1 when you tested it out? Now actually you may need to reinstall the driver when you switch to test that slot, I am not sure about that. But I would try it for sure before you decide the slot is bad

But yeap, if that slot tests bad you will have to RMA the board for sure

Comment

Yes, I did set it to PEG-1 with the card in the x8 slot.
                            I am currently writing this with a card in the x16 slot, no drivers installed. When I install a card in the x8 slot and bios set to PEG-1 I do not even get a screen at boot.

Comment

Sure does sound like a bad slot then to me, is that what you are gathering as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X