HDD:
    150GB WD,SATA2,VelociRaptor 10 000rpm, 16mb
    Video card:
    GIGABYTE R487X2-2GH-B
    Monitor:
    Asus 24'
    PSU:
    PSU FORTRON EVEREST 1010/1KW

I posted about this problem a while ago but then it seemed it got fixed. However now it appeared again and my pc is constantly restarting when i run something to load it's resources. There is a strange buzzing noise coming out of the video card , and it get's louder when you load the video card (under 3d mark or crysis or any newer game). The card itself according to riva tuner sits at 60c temp. while idle and about 80-90 while loaded (tho not for long because it reboots). I used riva tuner to play with the fan and set it to 60% , where it is very loud but it kee the card at about 50c while loaded. However that didn't fix the pc's reboots. Originally i thought it was the power supply , however since they changed it at the shop now i'm thinking it's the video card itself. Is this noise something normal for the card ?(it's not the noise from the fan for sure as you can only hear it when the card is heavily loaded). I was told a system temp. of 45c is normal , while i don't see why does it show 45c as the air coming out of the tower is far from 45c and when i touch the radiator on the chipset it's cool to the point where you cannot tell it's even beggining to be hot. The setup is not overclocked or anything like that so it sounds to me as the videocard is somehow malfunctioning and is using alot more power then it is supposed to be and the 1kw power supply can't keep up with it. Also the sound coming from it sounds like it doesn't have enough power supply(don't know how to explain it). I read somewhere around here on one of those video cards test that one of the cards was using 2ce as much power(770w) as it was supposed to be(440w at full load).
    What i am actually asking here is how to make sure it is the video card that is making my pc reboot ? So that when i go to the store i would request a new one , rather telling them it is the video card , but then it turns out it's not.

Re: problem with a new pc

Do you have a Older card you could install to check with? Maybe borrow one from a friend? if not you can you take your card to a friends system, or test it in another PC at your house to see if it sounds the same? If not you may need to go out and buy a cheap $20 card to test in your system

I thought here in this post you said they gave you a new PSU and graphics card? Did they not? >>>

Be sure when you return something like this to mark it with a UV or Highlighter marker somewhere hidden so you can check when you get your "New" item to be sure it is not the same old one and they lied to you and told you it was new

Comment

They said they changed the video card and the psu. However since the problem appeared right after i took my pc home i phoned them and ask if they really did change the video card aswell , they said they only changed the psu. I did test the system with another video card and it worked fine and didn't reboot , however it is a 6800 series from nvidia and i suppose it cannot put that much of a load to the power supply and temp inside the tower. So i'm not sure. I am thinking now to the card to friends pc and test it there.

Comment

WOW, see what I mean about marking things so you can be sure! Well at least they only lied to you at first, and not told you yes anyway knowing they did not change it out.

Ya, I would test your card at a friends. I bet it is the card and not the PSU, as a 1000W PSU should be able to run any card

Comment

thank you for your help. i will get back to report what happened after the test on my friends pc.

Comment

Someone had this same sort of problem in another thread, where i suggested that if it wasn't the graphics card on board warning buzzer (if it has one), it was most likely a Choke/Inductor "Ringing", either on the graphics card itself or one nearby ringing on the motherboard.

My 8800GTS will do this on just one mode/test of 3dmark Vantage, where the right conditions are met (ie through loading and setup).

Conditions like these will most likely be produced on everyones PC setup, however they might not always result in noise. It's not normally a problem (bar noise) and I have gone as far as "locking" (via varnish or epoxy) Inductors on cheaper makes of motherboards before to stop the noise occurring when certain conditions are met.
            Conditions include, Current Draw, PSU stability, Enclosure Temperature etc

Edit:-
            There are two high current Sealed inductors on your board (made by Pulse Pulse Home Page - www.pulseeng.com ), which you can see in this photo:-
            Radeon HD 4870 X2 and Crossfire review

The fact that they are essentially sealed should reduce a lot of audible noise - but if I was to try and find where the noise was coming from, i would investigate these two "Power Beads" first. http://ww2.pulseeng.com/products/dat...SPM2007_29.pdf
            Pulse part No: PA0511.221NLT
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
            X