Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X38T-DQ6 + OCZ3P18004GK = unstable, tried everything I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X38T-DQ6 + OCZ3P18004GK = unstable, tried everything I think.

I am having great difficulties getting my RAM to work. All I get is severe system instabilities with freezes and BSOD's.

Hardware setup:
    Mobo: GA X38T-DQ6 bios F7f.
    CPU : Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, 400MHz bus.
    RAM : OCZ 2x2GB 1800MHz DDR3 (OCZ3P18004GK).
    PSU : Enermax Liberty 620

Software:
    Ye olde XP Pro.

Problem:
    Severe instability in Windows. Freezes, BSOD's.
    When resetting after freeze, motherboard beeps a dozen times before powering off automatically, then on again and rebooting. This hardware beeping confirms for me that it is indeed a hardware problem.

When did this problem start?:
    Right after I exchanged my old 2x1GB 1600MHz DDR3 (OCZ3P1600EB2GK) for the new 2x2GB sticks.

What have I tried?:
    Well, pretty much all the settings you can imagine.
    First of all, I am running a 400MHz FSB to have my Q6600 at 3.6GHz, rockstable @ 1.5v Vcore (bios).
    The 1800MHz sticks will therefor need to run at 1600MHz since the system is not stable at a 450MHz FSB.
    This is not a problem for me, it may even allow me to tighten the timings and prevent any performance loss, and I believe it should not be a problem for the sticks either.
    In the beginning of testing I even had it run Memtest at 7-7-7-23 with 1600MHz and standard voltage for over an hour and a half without a single error.
    (but I have read that memtest does not discover all potential problems with stability, so all it proves is that the sticks are not defective).

I have tried the full allowed voltage of 1.95v for the memory which should be ample since it is only running at 1600MHz.
    I have tried the timings on both auto as well as various handset timings up to 8-8-8-27 2T.
    I have increased the Vmch by 0.3v, FSB by 0.25v.
    I have even tried clock skewing up to 100ps and reference voltage adjustments both + and - 10%
    I have tried a multitude of mixed settings.

Nothing works and I am at a loss...

I read in several forums that OCZ memory does not always agree with Gigabyte motherboards, but it ran my 2x1GB without a problem.
    Is there anything known perhaps on the F7f bios as far as instability with 2x2GB (OCZ) sticks?

Anyone who can offer any help?

Re: X38T-DQ6 + OCZ3P18004GK = unstable, tried everything I think.

I agree, several OCZ users have issues with GA boards, some of which are DDR3 users, wich you can see here >>>

General OCZ search >>>

I am going to contact them to see if they can ship me some samples for testing. But yes, many users have issues with OCZ and Gigabyte boards.

And so you know, those modules are not on the tested compatibility QVL list >>>

Not that the list matters, many modules that work great are not listed, as well as many I think do not work great are listed... So of no use to me I think.

First, I would suggest you go back to a NON Beta BIOS, and be sure to load Optimized Defaults set ram voltage/save and apply/reboot back to the BIOS to make disk changes before you do anything else. Beta BIOS's can cause many issues, but if you think it is better then the previous one you were using you may use it. It does not alway cause issues, just sometimes and I wanted to rule that out as a issue. If you do flash, do NOT use @BIOS >>>

For now, Please give me your full exact BIOS settings and I will see if I see anything you should try to adjust >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Originally posted by tijgert View Post
      I am having great difficulties getting my RAM to work. All I get is severe system instabilities with freezes and BSOD's.

Hardware setup:
      Mobo: GA X38T-DQ6 bios F7f.
      CPU : Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, 400MHz bus.
      RAM : OCZ 2x2GB 1800MHz DDR3 (OCZ3P18004GK).
      PSU : Enermax Liberty 620

Software:
      Ye olde XP Pro.

Problem:
      Severe instability in Windows. Freezes, BSOD's.
      When resetting after freeze, motherboard beeps a dozen times before powering off automatically, then on again and rebooting. This hardware beeping confirms for me that it is indeed a hardware problem.

When did this problem start?:
      Right after I exchanged my old 2x1GB 1600MHz DDR3 (OCZ3P1600EB2GK) for the new 2x2GB sticks.

What have I tried?:
      Well, pretty much all the settings you can imagine.
      First of all, I am running a 400MHz FSB to have my Q6600 at 3.6GHz, rockstable @ 1.5v Vcore (bios).
      The 1800MHz sticks will therefor need to run at 1600MHz since the system is not stable at a 450MHz FSB.
      This is not a problem for me, it may even allow me to tighten the timings and prevent any performance loss, and I believe it should not be a problem for the sticks either.
      In the beginning of testing I even had it run Memtest at 7-7-7-23 with 1600MHz and standard voltage for over an hour and a half without a single error.
      (but I have read that memtest does not discover all potential problems with stability, so all it proves is that the sticks are not defective).

I have tried the full allowed voltage of 1.95v for the memory which should be ample since it is only running at 1600MHz.
      I have tried the timings on both auto as well as various handset timings up to 8-8-8-27 2T.
      I have increased the Vmch by 0.3v, FSB by 0.25v.
      I have even tried clock skewing up to 100ps and reference voltage adjustments both + and - 10%
      I have tried a multitude of mixed settings.

Nothing works and I am at a loss...

I read in several forums that OCZ memory does not always agree with Gigabyte motherboards, but it ran my 2x1GB without a problem.
      Is there anything known perhaps on the F7f bios as far as instability with 2x2GB (OCZ) sticks?

Anyone who can offer any help?
      I'm at a loss too, because unless I've missed it, you've not tried your setup at the default intended and/or relaxed settings for your major components (ie CPU & memory).

You say:-
      Are you trying "everything" with your CPU being overclocked, because regardless that it might have been stable with your old memory configuration it has little bearing on your new memory setup.

Set everything to Default, so that you can find a base reference, then if need be relax memory timings further if the system is still unstable.
      Once you've found System stability you can save a bios profile and then move onto tweaking with performance and stability in mind.

Also remember to Set "Performance Enhance" to Standard
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I need to suggest that more often don't I? I often think of it and forget to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          I need to suggest that more often don't I? I often think of it and forget to ask
          :-)

I'm not surprised though LsdMe, you do get a load of questions and you have to assume people have tried the basics when they say they have, even when much of the time it turns out they haven't
          One things for sure, you've got plenty of patience
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ya, I do try. Somedays I just dont have it though, but I hold it in and get outta here for a few.

Hmm, wonder what happened to the OP?

Comment

Working...
            X