Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA EP35C DS3R BIOS settings not retaining..or saved

Hi all

I wanna overclock my q6600 cpu a little,My system is q6600, 4 gig DDR2 800 Transcend, I just want to get upto 3 gig with this chip thats all, using TRUE as my cooler.

I have problem with GA EP35C DS3R mobo, I got F3 BIOS when I originally overclocked my CPU to 3 gig (q6600), ddr2 800Mhz it booted fine in windows(Vista) and I played game etc for 6 hr or so.

And then I switch the pc off for the night, restarted next morning sometime and all my settings went back to defaults and ever since whatever I do in BIOS specially overclocking doesn't work, it does say in MIT that fsb sets at 333x9 and 3 gig(cpu speed) but this doesn't take any effect and shows 2.4gig in POST,windows and cpu-z,speedfan etc

What do I do? I didn't short cmos jumper in motherboard yet but thats last resort I think its something in BIOS that I need to do to make it work.

Should I save profile first?

*Using thermalright TRUE as heatsink.

p.s: Hmm after reading this thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-p...-please-27844/ I think its the BIOS issue this guy was lucky he found working BIOS for overclocking but my board is different than his ...

Should I try f4 beta BIOS?

Cheers
    Last edited by reavercop; 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM.

Re: GA EP35C DS3R BIOS settings not retaining..or saved

When I was having this problem I searched every forum & found that many people reported success with a particular version. Just look around & u will find a working version even if its a beta one. I hope u have disabled that EIST, C1E functions
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    GA-Z68XP-UD4 Rev 1.3 F6
    Corsair Force GT + WD Caviar Black 1TB + Segate 500GB HDD
    Corsair 8GB RAM
    MSI GTX 970 3.5GB + 0.5GB graphic card
    Dell U2312HM widescreen monitor
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

Ya you could use that Beta, or reflash the BIOS you are using now to possibly fix it. And yes, please check to be sure you have the above mentioned EIST and C1E disabled as those speeds, 2.4 and 3 sound like you have speedstep enabled to me

Comment

Originally posted by varunb View Post
        When I was having this problem I searched every forum & found that many people reported success with a particular version. Just look around & u will find a working version even if its a beta one. I hope u have disabled that EIST, C1E functions
        Hmm ya settings above are disabled, thats the first thing I did before I even overclocked.

Anyway I will give f4 beta a try and see how I go one question I have though, am I able to revert back to f3 from f4 beta or not?

Cheers

Comment

Yes, you can flash back anytime you want. Please do read this so you do a proper flash >>>

That is Load optimized defaults, Flash, Load optimized defaults, save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS to make your changes. This is VERY Important to do, and especially important to go back to the BIOS before windows loads if you are using RAID. You will have to set your disk settings again otherwise you will corrupt your RAID array.

If you are not using RAID then you can ignore that warning, but you will still have to set disk settings again but it is not so important to not load windows first if you do not have RAID.

So Load optimized, flash, load optimized, save and apply/reboot back to the BIOS, Make changes to the BIOS

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Yes, you can flash back anytime you want. Please do read this so you do a proper flash >>>

That is Load optimized defaults, Flash, Load optimized defaults, save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS to make your changes. This is VERY Important to do, and especially important to go back to the BIOS before windows loads if you are using RAID. You will have to set your disk settings again otherwise you will corrupt your RAID array.

If you are not using RAID then you can ignore that warning, but you will still have to set disk settings again but it is not so important to not load windows first if you do not have RAID.

So Load optimized, flash, load optimized, save and apply/reboot back to the BIOS, Make changes to the BIOS
            Grr I gave up this thing don't wanna overclock mate lol can someone suggest another motherboard based on p35 perhaps or another chipset and not too costly as I only got q6600 cpu to overclock.

I already spent quid on this motherboard so don't wanna get dq6 etc I just want motherboard that I can happily overclock to 3-3.2 gig thats all till I get new cpu and new motherboard in 1 yr or so..

Cheers

Comment

i'd recommend a new generation chipset... for you, being as you're familiar with the p35 BIOS type, the X48 series boards would be a good choice (cheapest being the DS4 ~US$220 on Newegg) or, if you're ready for a more mature BIOS, the P45 series would be a good choice (i'd suggest either the DS3L or DS3R, depending on your needs)

you should be able to OC a q6600 to 3.2GHz with just about any board... for your p35 i think you just need to reflash your BIOS... using the guide LSD suggested earlier and a new BIOS (i'd suggest F11 which you can get here -> GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS Download) you should be able to OC that chip just fine

EDIT: oh yeah... before you buy anything... try disabling Legacy USB Storage Support in your BIOS, rebooting and loading the OCed settings...
              Last edited by BongWizard; 10-13-2008, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Let us know how you get along, you should for sure be able to get 3.0-3.4 on this board you have easily

Comment

Originally posted by BongWizard View Post
                  i'd recommend a new generation chipset... for you, being as you're familiar with the p35 BIOS type, the X48 series boards would be a good choice (cheapest being the DS4 ~US$220 on Newegg) or, if you're ready for a more mature BIOS, the P45 series would be a good choice (i'd suggest either the DS3L or DS3R, depending on your needs)

you should be able to OC a q6600 to 3.2GHz with just about any board... for your p35 i think you just need to reflash your BIOS... using the guide LSD suggested earlier and a new BIOS (i'd suggest F11 which you can get here -> GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS Download) you should be able to OC that chip just fine

EDIT: oh yeah... before you buy anything... try disabling Legacy USB Storage Support in your BIOS, rebooting and loading the OCed settings...
                  BIOS I can get is F4 Beta (latest) and F3(final) for this board not F11 which is for GA EP35C DS3R.

I reflashed back to F2 and still can't overclock grr..ok I am gonna short a CMOS PIN now and let you all know but this is rediculous really ffs
                  Last edited by reavercop; 10-14-2008, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Be sure you properly flash.. That is Flash, Load optimized/save/apply-reboot, and then go back into the BIOS to make all needed changes.

Comment

Ok thx everyone and Ldmeap:)

I reflashed and did everything suggested, Flashed to F4 Beta didn't help me went to F3(final) BIOS that didn't help me either, reluctantly opened the case and shorted the CMOS PIN for 5 seconds, restart the pc changed the overclocks settings to FSB 333 and ddr2 to 667 and saved BIOS and voila settings stuck this time around lolz...

So yeah shorting pin really helped, should have done that first I was just being lazy to open the case etc. Also I found mounting screw half in the motherboard and half out lol which I forgot to screw it in properly...

All good so far played games 8 hrs last nite and its fine so I think its pretty stable..

Cheers

Comment

Nice to see you got it going! Good luck with any further tweaking you do, and feel free to post back if you run into issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X