Just ordered the The Big, Bad Wolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just ordered the The Big, Bad Wolf

Na, cant see FSB so you make me think you are messing around. Image like this please >>>>

You may need a higher FSB is all, I really cannot remember where is becomes available as I never used it on my P35 but I do know it should be there.

Try setting your CPU multi low again and set FSB to 400-450 or so and see if you can choose it. You may also have to first raise Static Trd to 12 or so as it will not allow a very low one, but not sure if that means it will hide it from you though. Here is some more reading on straps for you since I know you like to read about it all >>>
    AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48

Comment

I've done everything you've suggested and still no (#).

I'm pretty much convinced that the straps are chosen automatically depending on how the FSB is clocked, probably simular to the Available FSB/MCH Straps chart...I'll never know.

I don't know what this means but when I set the FSB up to 533Mhz and the CPU at any given multi and then reboot, I go back to the M.I.T. and there are 2 different memory speed values (in blue): 800 on the left and 1066 on the right. Of course I know what the 1066 on the right means but what does the 800 on the left mean??

Comment

the 800 on the left is the SPD value... that is the default value that is programmed into the DIMM (because PC2-8500 DIMMs are actually PC2-6400 DIMMs which have been tested and certified for higher frequency use)

Comment

No pic of FSB and memory multi on the same page, and you changed the subject? Makes me wonder if you are just bored and messing around now.

Hope you are not just being silly

Yes, the straps change according to the set FSB

Comment

No pic of FSB and memory multi on the same page
            I posted that panoramic pic of the FSB and the Memory Multis on the first page of this thread. The 333 at the top of the pics is the FSB.

and you changed the subject?
            Well, I thought it might have been useful in trying to figure out how the straps work. It only appears as 800 1066 when the FSB is over 500Mhz. When I'm running stock speeds it's 1066 1066.

Makes me wonder if you are just bored and messing around now.

Hope you are not just being silly
            Bored, being silly??? Nah....just trying to understand how my board deals with the straps. At this point I have kinda succombed to the fact that I have no access or options available for straps. No big deal...I can live with that.....

Comment

The first page does not apply as I cannot see the FSB and Ram multi box open

What you are mentioning in your second reply there has nothing to do with straps, the 1066 1066 comment. That is your memory multiplier and it will change values anytime you change the FSB. Why it says 800 1066 is because at that time, previous auto was 800 and 1066 was what you set or what Auto had set right then. And when you see 1066 1066 that just means the previous Auto was 1066 and what you set was 1066.

You can ignore anything you see of the left of your BIOS, it is Auto settings, and not always even the values auto uses/used

Well I just thought maybe you were being silly cause you would not post that pic I reuqested and changed the subject. You should for sure (Unless you have a Faulty BIOS) be able to see and choose the 333 strap memory multiplier with your ram and CPU you have

Comment

Okay. I understand now.

I'll make up some new pics then

Hold on..................

Comment

Okay...here's the one you needed. The actual FSB speed can't be seen now with the new CPU. The Fine CPU Clock Ratio pushed it down to where the Memory Multi box hides it, but you can still see the 3.35Ghz(335 x 10).

It's scrolled all the way down. The only value missing is the AUTO.

Comment

Hmm very odd, how about 450FSB?

Maybe it is a BIOS error

Comment

Most assuredly the Memory Multi box will reflect the same thing with the FSB at 450Mhz, but I will make another pic. It's gonna take a while though. I drained my camera battery on that last pic and it's gonna take about an hour to charge it back up and Perry Mason is coming on the tube so I won't be to get another pic posted till after 1:00 PST.
                      Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Just occurred to me. My board is revison 1.0 . Is there such a difference between rev. 1.0 and 1.1 that my board doesn't have strapping options??

The only apparent difference between the 2 revisions is the 1.0 has a considerably larger heat sink set up than th 1.1
                        Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-13-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Okay...here it is with FSB at 450Mhz.

Comment

Very odd for sure! No, revision should not matter as it is a basic BIOS thing. And your BIOS obviously has the strapping choices, just not the higher one which you should be able to use.

I guess maybe it could be a BIOS issue with that specific one, not sure. I can tell you that using a Strap letter or not will only provide Extra Points in bandwidth tests and not really performance you will feel. So if you do not try to push for points it really isnt that big of a deal.

If I remember (Which I am sure I will, or you will remind me) once I get all the posts answered here tonight I will shut down and take some pics for you of my BIOS with 2.00 memory multiplier and 2.00D (400 strap)

This way you can compare a benchmark of both on my system with the same exact settings, fsb, timings, ect used and with or without a strap chosen. it is not much of a difference really.

Comment

One of the main reasons that I was so interested in straps was because I wanted to see how far I could OC my memory and maintain a stable system. I asked quite a few questions in the Mushkin forum on that topic. I did get one response stating that the highest that I would be clock my memory and pass MemTest was 1080~1090Mhz mainly because of the motherboard and the inability to tweak the BIOS enough to fine tune everything.

I've already had the memory clocked up to 1080Mhz a few times with successfull MemTest-ing. I did start a thread about it...I think. Had the FSB up to 540Mhz, CPU at 3.7+Ghz, Memory Multi at 2.00(1:1) and the memory at 1080Mhz. Tested it for approx. 3 hours with MemTest and another 3 hours with Everest's Stabiility Test, both without any problems.
                              Was the highest OC I've done yet, and that was with the E6700.

I haven't even began tapping into the Wolf I have in here now LOL. I'm still amazed at how cool this beast runs whether it's just on idle or at 100%. Just been doing some mild OC burn-ins mostly so far and still getting great numbers with Everest like 9,500~12,000Mb/s for memory speeds.

All in all, I am happy very happy with system. I'm still learning a few tweaking things to get the most out of it and so on. I'm also getting ready to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. The installation CD will be here Wednesday and I'm in the process of getting all the other software ready. That's gonna be alot of fun LOL.

Comment

Ahh, well that is about true. I would think though, with loose enough settings that you do have you could run 1200 or so ram speed. The strap would only hinder this, so you wanting to use it would be of no help for the reason you wanted it. See when you directly choose a strap it locks it, and if you do not then it can move to a looser/lower one and you can get further FSB-wise

If you can hit the same Mhz with a lower strap you are doing better though, so you may want to use the lesser one anyway. Using a C/200 strap to do DDR2 800Mhz will outperform the A/266,B/333 or D/400 strap doing 800Mhz with the same timings but is most often not as easy as it sounds

Good luck with getting x64 XP installed, I just did the switch over to x64 Vista. Much easier on vista though as it just moves your WHOLE old install into a "Windows.old" folder and you can go get your files you need soon as the install is done and then toss the folder. About 12 minutes it took me to install x64 Vista

Ill post up some picks of 2.00 vs 2.00D and 2.00D vs 2.00B here in a while, got about 12 posts/tabs to answer first and I need to make a post about Crucial to members here.

They are shipping me some ram for testing so that I may provide some better answers to Crucial customers, many have asked about Advanced timings here lately and I am just not sure since P35 had such issue with them and P45 seems to be starting to have some issues as well. At least I will be able to provide some direct answers for them

Comment

Working...
                                X