Gigabyte MB's and RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte MB's and RAM

Six months ago I bought a GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard and some brand "X" DDR3 PC3 10666, 2 X 2GB, 1.8v performance RAM.

I don't favor any specific RAM brand. I will buy mostly any of the major brands. I first look at performance/price and then reviews when available.

If you do have a problem, all the majors have limited lifetime warranties so they are equal on that level. I do however look for a brand that will "cross ship" if you have to RMA them. I want my system back up as quickly as possible.

I had difficulty with my brand "X" 1.8v RAM from the beginning. They did not want to POST at the board default 1.5v. I had the "restart loop" issue which many of you here have also experienced.

I purchased some DDR3 "value" 1.5v RAM so I could POST, enter setup, change the RAM settings and then install my performance RAM.

Three weeks ago my system would not POST. Both DIMM's failed Memtest, each throwing multiple errors. This could happen with any brand.

I received a RMA to return the defective RAM, but brand "X" did not cross ship. I should have been more careful when I first purchased them.

I did not want to have my system down for 2 - 3 weeks, so I decided to buy some new RAM and sell my replacement RAM later after I received them.

There is a moderator on this forum, LSD, who has stated in many of his POST's that Gigabyte boards like Mushkin RAM. I decided to try some Mushkin. This is not the first time I have purchased Mushkin RAM and I know they are good, as are other brands.

The Mushkin's were the same specs as my brand "X". DDR3 PC3 10666 2 X 2GB. They POSTED at the motherbaord default 1.5v! HMMM!

So, LSD, thanks! My Gigabyte motherbaord does like Mushkin!

I'm not saying other brands would not have done the same, but now I can sell my brand "X" DIMM's as well as the value DDR3 DIMM's I purchased just to POST.

Mushkin by the way will RMA cross ship! At least in the US.
    Last edited by MDDI; 10-10-2008, 12:46 PM.

Re: Gigabyte MB's and RAM

"Cross Ship" is what i know as Advance Replacement, but it isn't available with the same manufacturer in all teritories. In fact I thought Mushkin was a bad bet for those of us in the UK, specifically warranty wise - in fact their web support webpages are limited too, especially when compared to other companies.

So I agree with what you say, it's not just the quality of the product, but the support you can get should it have a problem.
    This is one of the reasons I jumped ship from Corsair to OCZ because of UK support in which OCZ have an office.
    Getting Corsair support to supply extra cables for one of their modular PSU's, which seems to be a common request on their forums was a nightmare. Contacting their US office was like talking to a cat :-)

Crucial though as always has excellent no quibble support in the UK.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

VorLonUK,

I agree, products are only as good as the company that stands behind them.

Not knowing the policies of companies World Wide, I will edit my comment about Mushkin cross shipping to the US.

Since I do not know about those policies in other countries, hopefully others will add to this POST.

Comment

Originally posted by MDDI View Post
        VorLonUK,

I agree, products are only as good as the company that stands behind them.

Not knowing the policies of companies World Wide, I will edit my comment about Mushkin cross shipping to the US.

Since I do not know about those policies in other countries, hopefully others will add to this POST.
        I think the same way :-)

Often I'll find a supplier for a recommended product or it might even be a mega popular product, but I will always check to see what the support side of things is like before I purchase.
        Sometimes this can be a real let down, especially if you really like the product but the support isn't really there.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I'm not trying to promote or slam any product here.

I buy Kingston RAM for notebooks. I have never used Kingston in my desktop builds, no specific reason.

A year ago I purchased a dual SODIMM Kingston kit, one of the DIMM's were bad. They sent me a replacement, Next Day Air without requesting the defect back first.

Needless to say, a product is only as good as the company that supports the product.

Comment

I'm not trying to promote or slam any product here.
            Me neither :-)

It's good though to hear positive feedback about any company. Personally I think the "Memory Arena" has a good track record, with Long/NoQuibble/ Lifetime (the list goes on) Warranties by Most.

Often these companies have Web Forums too an area where many electronic manufacturers still fear to tread.

Comment

VorLonUK,

I have given more thought to my comments and want to be fair about my statements.

When I bought the brand "X" RAM six months ago, DDR3 was still pretty new. The RAM was CAS7 1.8v. The EPROM may have not been programmed for CAS9 1.5v which the DDR3 motherboards seem to default to.

I have not tested my replacement set from brand "X", but they appear to be a newer revision which very well may be programmed to POST at CAS9 1.5v.

I installed the new Mushkin's which are CAS7 1.7v - 1.8v. The Mushkin's do POST at default CAS9 1.5v.

I am pleased with the new Mushkin's so I do not want to test the brand "X" replacements. I wish to pass them on to someone as "new".

For me, the Mushkin's were a good move. They POST at default settings and I know if I have a problem in the future I can have them replaced, cross shipped RMA, which will limit my down time.

As you pointed out, things are not equal elsewhere in the world. So, what works for me here in the US may not work for you in the UK.

I hope more members respond to this thread and give their opinions. RAM performance, price, features, customer service and RMA policies should all be considered before making a RAM purchase.
              Last edited by MDDI; 10-10-2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X