Checking for data corruption - here's a good utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for data corruption - here's a good utility

Over the years I've tried loads of utilities and I'm sure as per others on here, you get to rely exclusively on just a handful of them - ie, Cpu-z, Winzip/rar etc....

But one that I think is fantastic and that anyone who wants to ensure that their data hasn't become corrupted has to be "Checksum".

If your an overclocker (effectively stressing your system) and/or move data to external devices or Any media and want to make sure your data hasn't changed, or if you want an indication that data integrity is failing, then Checksum can quickly calculate an MD5 hash file for every file, which can then be compared at any future time.

The Utility can be configured in many ways and it's quick at calculating GB's of data.
    I use it for DVDr media which has all my Utilities, Drivers on, just to make sure the data copied over by Nero stays intact. Also it can give you an early warning that your media is failing, by highlighting corrupt files etc.

Also It's useful for when you copy large amounts of data to external hard drives via Firewire or USB. There have been problems with some External HD Enclosure chipsets (in the past) corrupting large files on transfer. So with External hard drives becoming so large, I think it's important to see if the data you are transferring is still intact when it's stored on its destination media/drive.

Btw I'm in no way connected to Checksum, but I really think it's one of the best utilities out there at present.
    checksum for Windows.. SHA1 or MD5 hash a file, a folder, or a whole drive/volume, with an Explorer right-click.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Re: Checking for data corruption - here's a good utility

Agreed!

I use a few Checksum Programs myself for various things. If you would like some others posted, or PM'd to you let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Agreed!

I use a few Checksum Programs myself for various things. If you would like some others posted, or PM'd to you let me know
      Lsdme,

You need to look at this Utility as it's like nothing else on the market. I doubt you have seen or have any utility which will do what checksum does and at the speed it does it.

It's not just an MD5 checker - it's way beyond that!

Checksum can Create individual hash files or one Root hash file of the MD5 values of thousands of files in Volumes containing Terabytes of data.
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks, I will for sure check it out tonight!!!

Comment

Working...
        X