No announcement yet.

Takes 10~20 minutes to clear the CMOS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takes 10~20 minutes to clear the CMOS??

Sorry lsdmeasap,

I know I posted a response in the Memory Timings explained sticky about this same question but I thought it might interest other folks. Something kinda funny happens when I clear my CMOS and I was hoping to find an explanation for it: you'll see reference to it in the last/bottom paragraph below:

Does it really take 10~20 minutes to clear the CMOS if you hook up the RESET switch to the CLR CMOS jumper pins???

Or did you mean 10~20 seconds???

I've always thought that it only took 10~20 seconds all these years. Can't imagine that using the RESET switch to clear the CMOS would change things that immensely. Been using the jumper method since the early days.

Very peculiar thing though. The newer boards over the last few years must not complete drain the residual charge left in the CMOS memory after grounding the CLR CMOS jumper. Often times I have used the jumper to reset the CMOS for even 30~60 seconds and go back into the BIOS and the time does not reset. Must be drawing power from other devices hooked up to the system somehow. Or maybe it takes longer for multi-BIOS boards to drain??

Re: Takes 10~20 minutes to clear the CMOS??

it definitely takes quite a while if you use the jumper only on the clear CMOS pins... if you simply turn off the PSU, remove the mobo battery and cross the contacts with a screwdriver or the like, you should see the CMOS be completely cleared (including the time) within about 20 seconds (but its also a good idea to cross the clear CMOS pins similarly afterwards)

EDIT: Some boards will also have an onboard reset button, but this is still not as effective as turning off the PSU and allowing the charge to be completely drained through either removing the battery or leaving a jumper on the clear CMOS pins for about 15 minutes
    Last edited by BongWizard; 10-07-2008, 07:04 AM.

Comment

^^ Rightly stated above ^^

And wow, if you think that is long, try the battery removal only! That can sometimes take 8-24 hours.

You may also put the jumper on, or switch your "Clear CMOS switch" on with the PSU unplugged and Push in the actual Power on button to speed things up, this will help the system drain power quicker as well.

And before you ask now, as already stated in the Flash guide, A CMOS Checksum Error screen is normal after you Properly Clear the CMOS, so dont let it scare you. Pick a BIOS (if you have DQ), or a Setting profile, or last known good if you like.

Then once you are in there please load optimized defaults again, and save and apply (Only necessary if you are doing a flash to a new version, not needed if you had a bad overclock and had to clear)
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-07-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks to the both of you.

Never realized that it took that long.

I rigged up an old case front-panel 2-wire cable still with plug in terminal on one end and some auto-electric spade (male/female) connectors on the other end. Personally, I don't see myself just standing there holding down the RESET button for 10~20 minutes waiting for the drain. All I have to do is switch of the PSU, connect the male/female spade connectors, press the POWER button a couple of times and, heck, take a walk, a nap, a shower, watch Perry Mason, go scream at my neighbor's noisy dogs, etc...LOL

Comment

I use a toggle switch on one system and a needle on another to hold down the actual case reset switch.

Perry Mason is still on? J/K, just hadn't seen him in a while myself.

TIVO has the better of me

Comment

I have always just jump the pins on board and i have never ever have any problem whatsoever, I just have done it for a few sec and volia it boots up default again and problem solved :D

I only have to cleared cmos 1 time with my new comp, P45-DS3R and man thats great couse on my other before it was a MSI 750 nVidia chipset and that board did have a Reset switch back at where all your inputs like USB and sound was and that was a crappy board, had to clear cmos all the time LOL. but it was so convinient it dident matter, just wish all other could follow that example so one dont have to open the comp and trix with the mobo so you hear me Gigabyte boo for that one ;)

Comment

Ga-P45 now has a Clear CMOS Switch, but it is inside the case.

But hey, it is there at least now! >>>>

Along with a Power and Reset Switch, great for working outside of the case!!

Comment

i was in love with those switches when i was first getting my new rig setup... just had to leave the side panel off the case for the first couple days lol

Comment

Right! They are great outside of the case, I had my board going at 4.2 on the box before I ever installed it into my case, and flashed up a few BIOS versions as well

Very nice indeed, and I am glad it is blue and not red or green

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Ga-P45 now has a Clear CMOS Switch, but it is inside the case.

But hey, it is there at least now! >>>>

Along with a Power and Reset Switch, great for working outside of the case!!
                    Okey is it on the newer P-45 you say as I cant seen any with my P45-DS3R?
                    Very good of Gigabyte to put em in atleast :)

Comment

maybe not on the DS3R, i've never closely looked, but yu can tell that's a DSxP variant, because it has the 16x slot right above the bottom of the board (you and your DS4P LSD!!! grrr) Actually i just looked and the DS3R does not have them.

BTW, how does that new board OC LSD??

Comment

Ahh, maybe only DS4 versions and up then, Sorry I thought it was on all of them. I have EP45-DS4P

Comment

Ya, no switches on the DS3's It looks like, only DS4 and above

It is nice man! Got me some great New ram out for delivery as well so I will soon take it further.

Was testing out 2000/500 FSB the other night, and I was in at 4.3 stable yesterday. Im looking to get 4.5 stable. Then I will be writing up a review for it

Comment

The probable reason that it takes longer than just a few seconds is that you are Not just shorting across a Electrolytic Capacitor (as that can cause damage) but Via a "bleed" resistor.

If I've been about to work on a switchmode PSU in the past, i would sit its PCB on a high resistance mat (often used for ESD work) that would slowly discharge the electrolytic capacitors without damaging them.

Often you don't need to actually completely discharge the circuit, but you do need to reduce the residual voltage below an operational level. This in effect is also noticeable when a coin cell (say CR2032) is not completely exhausted, but neither allows the cicuitry to retain the user data.
                            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
                            X