Page Fault in non-paged area BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Fault in non-paged area BSOD

When creating a home movie DVD from mp4 footage using Premiere Elements I got a BSOD with the error "page fault in non-paged area". Is this likely to be memory related? The video encoding process had just completed and the progress bar was indicating the burn to DVD was about to start then it BSODed. The same BSOD has repeated itself in the same place (several times) when trying again. Another project using DV-AVI source video compiles and burns OK.

I'm using an EP45-DS4 with 4x1GB of Crucial Ballistix PC8500, a Q6600 CPU and Vista Ultimate 64. I haven't overclocked. The only things I've changed are to set the memory to run at 2.1v, MCH voltage up +0.1v and memory timings at 5-5-5-15. I've had no other problems and ran memtest86+ overnight without any errors.

Re: Page Fault in non-paged area BSOD

Yeap, all memory!

Crucial isnt the best anymore for sure, and Often dies. They are also not best for Gigabyte boards, and the 1066 sticks have been removed from GA's QVL list >>>

Not that I respect that list or anything, As I think a few should be removed and several brands should be added. Crucial has long been on my list of NON GA-P35 compatible and is quickly getting to be on the P45 list as well. Sure some people use them without issue, but far more do not. But let's see if I can help you get this sorted out

I see you used Memtest86+, when was this?

Just to be sure best to test each stick you have at stock speed, timings, and manually set voltages to see if you have a dying one in the mix >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What BIOS are you using?

MCH would need to be more then +0.1 for 4GB, likely +0.25-0.3 would be most stable, especially at 1066

And you need to manually set trfc as well to 52-62 for 4gb. What MCH latch, and tRD are you using?

If you would like a full table of suggested settings let me know and I can advise you

Comment

It wasn't until I found this forum that I discovered that Crucial memory might not be the best choice for my board, but having invested in it only a few months ago I'm not planning to ditch it any time soon unless I find out it really doesn't work. It seems to be OK for me as far as I can make out, apart from the glitch I'm getting in Premiere Elements.

I ran memtest86+ (v2.01) all night a few nights ago against all the memory (with BIOS F7). It ran through without errors maybe 8 times. I haven't run it against individual memory sticks yet.

My BIOS is F9 now.

I've boosted MCH voltage to 1.36v now, from the default of 1.1. MCH Latch is set to auto. I can't see a tRD setting in the BIOS, but I have tRCD set to 5 and tRRD on auto.

A full table of suggested settings would be great, thanks.

My full PC spec is:

GA-EP45-DS4 - F9 BIOS
      Q6600 with Thermalright Ultima-90 cooling
      4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500
      GeForce 8600GT 512MB (passively cooled version)
      Antec Sonata III with Earthwatts 500W PSU
      2x Samsung HD501LJ configured as RAID1 boot drive
      Samsung HD753LJ
      Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DVB-T PCI card
      Vista 64 Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbat View Post
        When creating a home movie DVD from mp4 footage using Premiere Elements I got a BSOD with the error "page fault in non-paged area". Is this likely to be memory related? The video encoding process had just completed and the progress bar was indicating the burn to DVD was about to start then it BSODed. The same BSOD has repeated itself in the same place (several times) when trying again. Another project using DV-AVI source video compiles and burns OK.

I'm using an EP45-DS4 with 4x1GB of Crucial Ballistix PC8500, a Q6600 CPU and Vista Ultimate 64. I haven't overclocked. The only things I've changed are to set the memory to run at 2.1v, MCH voltage up +0.1v and memory timings at 5-5-5-15. I've had no other problems and ran memtest86+ overnight without any errors.
        Have you changed your memory settings as a result of the BSOD, or were you trying to increase memory performance before the BSOD occurred?

Although the message indicates a memory based error, it doesn't have to be faulty physical memory that causes the message.
        It could be any bit of software on your PC causing the BSOD, especially if it's not been fully updated for Vista and Vista64 at that too.

I wouldn't go mad on driving your memory/system harder (ie any of the voltage settings etc) if your memory has worked with complete stability on several loops of memtest.
        Although Memtest isn't foolproof, it's the nearest we have to prove our memory is working fine and in the hardware of our choice.

If memtest works fine, I ALWAYS look elsewhere for the problem.
        Have you recently installed new AV software, a new Driver or any new software for that matter?
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-05-2008, 07:45 AM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I've changed my memory settings following the BSOD as a result of the recommendations above that I should have for 4GB of memory - I wasn't going for more performance before the BSOD. The only settings I had before I started this thread were the 2.1v memory voltage and 5-5-5-15 timings, and I've had those for weeks.

I haven't installed any new AV software recently, unless you count the Vista TV Pack which has recently been announced by M$. Premiere Elements was always a bit flaky on my old PC though, so maybe it's just a bug in the software. I don't usually edit MP4 but I was doing it for a friend who has just acquired one of those small Sanyo waterproof solid state camcorders. I normally stick to DV-AVI editing.

Comment

So you haven't installed any New drivers or Anti-Virus software that you could connect to this BSOD occurring?

Obviously you are taxing the system when you are manipulating large files, such as when you are video editing/converting etc.

Personally I would set the memory to get a reasonable performance level with the least amount of voltage (above stock DDR2 1.8volts) as required. Then I would run memtest and if that passed ok, then Prime95 (monitor temps whilst you do this)

There are new versions of Prime95 (including those for 64bit systems on their ftp site)
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
              Obviously you are taxing the system when you are manipulating large files, such as when you are video editing/converting etc.
              Yes - it's running all four cores at ~98-99% whilst converting and the free memory from 4GB goes down to 150MB just before it startings muxing the files. I'm beginning to think, though, that's it's a driver/app issue rather than the memory. If I load the project into Premiere Elements and try to create a DVD, as soon as I click on the option to do that it BSODs. If I load another project which doesn't crash Elements and go through the motions of selecting the option to burn a DVD with that project, then close the project and load the one causing the problem I can select the create DVD option then it does all the conversions before BSODing at the point where its starting to write to DVD. If I specify the option to create the DVD files on hard disk rather than DVD then it doesn't crash (which is how I've got around the BSOD issue for the time being).

Anyway, there's a new version of Premiere Elements coming out imminently. Perhaps it'll be more robust...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbat View Post
                I ran memtest86+ (v2.01) all night a few nights ago against all the memory (with BIOS F7). It ran through without errors maybe 8 times. I haven't run it against individual memory sticks yet.

My BIOS is F9 now.

I've boosted MCH voltage to 1.36v now, from the default of 1.1. MCH Latch is set to auto. I can't see a tRD setting in the BIOS, but I have tRCD set to 5 and tRRD on auto.

A full table of suggested settings would be great, thanks.

My full PC spec is:

GA-EP45-DS4 - F9 BIOS
                Q6600 with Thermalright Ultima-90 cooling
                4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500
                GeForce 8600GT 512MB (passively cooled version)
                Antec Sonata III with Earthwatts 500W PSU
                2x Samsung HD501LJ configured as RAID1 boot drive
                Samsung HD753LJ
                Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DVB-T PCI card
                Vista 64 Ultimate
                Well since both sticks passed for that long I would say single testing is not needed.

I do also think 1.36 to the NB is a bit much, 1.25 is likely enough.

Please post for me what you run your CPU at and I will give you a full range of Suggested settings.

Ya know, maybe a codec is causing premiere to BSOD out. And it could also be your video card/drivers if your card takes over some conversion process at the point of the BSOD maybe?

Comment

If I load the project into Premiere Elements and try to create a DVD, as soon as I click on the option to do that it BSODs.
                  I'm not familiar with that application, but does it officially support Vista 64?

Comment

I'm not sure about 64 bit support. The Adobe web site only has the system requirements for the forthcoming version 7, but even for that it only says:

Comment

Working...
                    X