EP45-DS3R Overclocking Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-DS3R Overclocking Problems

How can I tell if the GPU is running at the right settings? Easy Tune 6 says my GTX 260 is running at a Core Clock of 300 and Memory Clock of 100 which doesn't seem right. This could be the reason for my low 3DMark06 scores.

Settings for the card should be Core 640, Mem Bus 448, and Mem Speed 2300. If this is indeed a problem, what is a good program to use to overclock the GPU back to factory settings? RivaTurner? Nvidia's tuning software only gives me blue screens.

Thanks

Comment

First I would add some MCH voltage and back that Ram voltage down to 2.1, 2.2 is VERY hot on your ram and is not needed likely. But I guess it may be with that high ram speed, I would personally add more MCH and see if you can bring down ram Voltage though.

As for your speed not being noticed from 3.6 and 3.8, you have some very loose ram timings once you tighten those up you may have much better results

Check with GPU-z to be sure you are running at x16 instead of x4 or x8 or x1! >>>
      GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

And I am not sure about Nvidia cards, but I think they do clock down unless you are gaming or running GFX benchmark. Run these tests below and see if those clocks change as the tests start to run

FurMark (Dont make the window too big, this WILL make your card HOT) >>>
      FurMark v1.4.0 download from Guru3D.com

LightSmark >>>
      LIGHTSMARK - next generation lighting benchmark

See if you can get these changes to work >>>

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast or Turbo

(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400 << Try 333, Only change this and try it first.
      System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.66 << if you use 333 above you will have to use a different ram multi though (2.0, 2.4, 3.2, or 4.0) 333 will perform better I think for your ram speed if you can get it to boot thru.
      Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1125Mhz
      DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
      CAS Latency Time........................ 5
      tRCD ......................................... 5
      tRP'........................................... 5
      tRAS.......................................... 18

Advanced Timing Control
      tRRD...........................................4 << Maybe 3
      tWTR..........................................12 << For sure can come down. Likely 3-5
      tWR............................................14 << For sure can come down. Likely 5-8
      tRFC...........................................54 << maybe 50-52, maybe not at that speed though
      tRTP...........................................4 << 2-3
      Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Set Driving Strength Profile to 1066 for both channels << Set to 1200

Channel A & B
      Static tRead Value.........................:8 (if you get 333 MCH to work, you can use 7)

Comment

MCH is set @ 333 w/ Multiplier @ 2.4 for Mem Freq @ 1050Mhz
        Graphic Booster = Turbo
        Could not set the tRead Values to 7, kept at 8
        Could not set the Driving Strength to 1200, kept at 1066
        Able to lower RAM voltage to 2.1V & MCH voltage up to 1.24V with computer restarting properly now (interesting as this seemed to be the previous problem)

Standard Timing Control
        CAS Latency Time........................ 5
        tRCD ......................................... 5
        tRP'........................................... 5
        tRAS.......................................... 15

Advanced Timing Control
        tRRD...........................................3
        tWTR..........................................3
        tWR............................................5
        tRFC...........................................50
        tRTP...........................................2
        Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

CPU-Z confirms 16X2.0 PCI with correct clocks as well. You were correct in that it was clocking down when not needing the power.

3DMark06: 15720 with cores running at 53/54*C (no change)

FurMark: 3585 @ 1280X1024
        3375 @ 1680X1050

LightSmark: 670FPS @ 1280X1024
        558FPS @ 1680X1050

GPU never broke 53*C in the above tests (Full Screen), actually only one of the three GPU temps reached 53*, the other two were low 40/high 30* C. Fan speed never moved from 40% ~ 1450 RPM either which seems interesting to me.

CPU cores during all tests never broke 56*C

In regards to RAM runnig at 2.2V, the sticks (at least heat pipes, OCZ Reapers) remained cool to the touch even under heavy load. Website claims 2.1V, sticker on sticks say 2.2V
        Last edited by Berger; 10-19-2008, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Looks good. I thought maybe it was being clocked down. You can disable that I think, but not sure how as I do not use Nvidia anymore. At least I think you can with some cards, It may be in RivaTuner or your Nvidia CP.

Well the thing is about voltages for RAM, what you see on the sticks or the site is the warrantied amount, not what it will need. Most 2.2 or 2.1 will do fine at 2.0 or less, not at the speeds you are running though, but at stock most will do stock speeds undervolted

As for your fan speeds, you can set defined Speed intervals based on temps if you like with AtiTool if you think it should run faster then it is now. It may be set to only do 40% up till a certain Temp

Comment

So are my scores above good? From what I have been reading, people scoring high on the 3DMark06 are using overclocked quads. I don't know how my FurMark/LightSmark compare. What's a good program to use to see FPS in games?

Also, my memory with the 2.4 multiplier is currently low compared to the 1150 people are running. What would it take to run 4-4.2 CPU and have memory around 1150? Just bump up speed and voltage?

Thinking of keeping the board now (:

Comment

I dont game so I really could not say about GFX scores. I do think GPU-z has a FSP tool when you run a game, maybe not though. I also think ATITray tools will show it, as well as ATITool. Fraps is also a for sure one that will and allows screen captures and some other things >>>
              FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

And most games themselves have settings in the console to enable/disable this, but I guess that likely varies from game to game. Here is a example >>>
              In CS-CS:S and other valve games just go into the console and type cl_showfps 1, then hit enter.
              Steam uses net_graph >>

Ya for 4Ghz+ you just need to bump the FSB and voltages. You will likely also have to switch to MCH 400 latch and tRD of 9

Comment

Working...
              X