Possible EP35-DS3R/HD 4870 compatibility issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible EP35-DS3R/HD 4870 compatibility issues

Rage3d, DriverHeaven, OCforums, official ATi Forums, Sapphire forums... there ARE some other users experiencing the same, but I've got the impression that they are too few so I've ruled out the possibility of having a driver error since the majority doesn't experience such problems. ATi won't acknowledge the issue either, so I'm really at loss.

One question: most of the users that had this issue said that using XP solved it for them, but there were responses that "XP is more fault tolerant than Vista and with using XP users aren't solving the issue, but rather avoiding it". Is that true?

EDIT: about the links you posted: I had the same issue and fixed it with BIOS update that Sapphire sent me. The TDR issue persists.
    Last edited by goaty; 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Yes, that Powercolor is mine... Back to the topic and if goaty where under XP he could try the Omega driver instead of ATI Catalyst, just to have another driver option.
      GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
      i5-4690K + Corsair H90
      Sapphire Radeon R7 240
      16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
      Corsair CX750M
      Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Originally posted by svcglobal View Post
        Yes, that Powercolor is mine... Back to the topic and if goaty where under XP he could try the Omega driver instead of ATI Catalyst, just to have another driver option.
        That's a good idea, but don't the guys at "Omega" just tweak *.ini files, as they don't have the rights to alter the proprietary ati driver as such? I tend to think that this is a low level driver setting that only Amd/Ati will be aware of or have the ability to alter.

Goaty,

Do you keep an eye out over at Guru3d for leaked drivers? They are there on such a regular basis, that something could turn up at anytime soon that actually fixes the problem.
        You usually find that if the card is being sold in systems by a large oem, that driver fixes appear very quickly if there's a specific problem - hence some of the releases.

More Info..
        What's the deal? This thread is created to poll people together who have modified/altered their bios to reduce: -Memory clock rate -GPU voltage, lower then 1.263 in low 2D mode Purpose The purpose of this thread is to formulate, create and obtain information and bios/bios tweaks to create a...
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-30-2008, 12:30 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          That's a good idea, but don't the guys at "Omega" just tweak *.ini files, as they don't have the rights to alter the proprietary ati driver as such? I tend to think that this is a low level driver setting that only Amd/Ati will be aware of or have the ability to alter.
          Not sure, I was told they do reverse engineering and, in machine language, they optimize the code.
          But Vista drivers are not ready there so, not good.
          GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
          i5-4690K + Corsair H90
          Sapphire Radeon R7 240
          16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
          Corsair CX750M
          Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Originally posted by svcglobal View Post
            Not sure, I was told they do reverse engineering and, in machine language, they optimize the code.
            But Vista drivers are not ready there so, not good.
            That would be impressive...

But wouldn't Amd/Ati sue them for that - it would be clearly against the license.
            I would have thought if Ati/Amd had granted permission and Omega had signed an NDA, that there would be no need for them to reverse engineer, as the source code would be provided.
            As for "Optimizing", I can't see how that is possible if you don't have all the engineering material and product protocols, or even the driver tools that no doubt ATI/Amd have designed to facilitate releases.

Found the info - they are just tweaks of available settings within the standard driver (including those normally hidden from the user). I didn't think they could be much more...
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
            X