Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

so far tonight i've found out that....

running the ram at 790mhz as i was before wasn't occt/orthos stable. considering the quality of this ram i've dropped the fsb slightly (from 395 - 390fsb) rather than consider loosening timings

i can run performance level/trd at 8 rather than the original auto value of 12

this 2x2gb dane-elec celenade pc6400 stuff seems to be surviving with +0.2v ddr2 voltage (2.0v total) infact it needed this to get the trd/performance level down past 10. chips are still cool to the touch

i did try putting in the loosest, top end values that you prescribed for the memory subtimings however orthos/occt failed within seconds. now i'm at 2.0v i will begin adjusting the settings left on auto one by one perhaps looser than the values you first suggested.

basically, i'm not sure what settings i should be primarily focussing my efforts on, if you could give me an idea of priorities, that'd be good!
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like that ram is at the top of it's performance maybe? Did you also try 1.9V as 2.0 may be too much for it being budget, I just though ti may be worth a try

You would be better off buying some 2.0-2.1 rated good name brand ram. And I see in SPD of Memset your ram is already by Stock at 6400 at 40% overclock for the chips on it. Normal 800 ram would be 10-15% overclock on the chips in it. So that is very cheap chips they used to begin with and programmed them up to 800. So right at 800 is likely almost as good as they will get and you may need to raise settings to stabilize them instead of trying to tweak them at all.

So you might just have to back off things a little bit in your whole overclock to gain stability until you can buy better ram

Comment

I guess you're right, running at 1:1 divider @780mhz i managed to get a few of the timings down a bit. something quite odd happened though (well, i thought it was odd anyway)

Rank Write to READ Delay________ bios says auto setting of 3 - in memset its 11
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ bios says auto setting of 6 - in memset its 14

now when i tried to change these values from auto to a higher manual number in the bios, when i went into memset rather than retain the manual settings they had doubled themselves - 22/28 or something close to that

as they are at 5-5-5-15 trd-8 and 2.0v is stable

what do you think of this kit?

Mushkin 4GB ES2-6400 Essential Series (2x2GB) - Aria Technology

about $100 or just under seems good value for those latencies, and i imagine i could perhaps get them slightly tighter running at my current fsb

i'm trying to stay away from ram with heatspreaders that make the sticks taller as they won't clear my hsf
        Last edited by dylan0451; 10-02-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Ya, so now you can up the FSB a little more. I would say keeping ram around 800-850 would be good until you can get some decent ram

You may be able to use trd 6-7 at those speeds

Ya, I need to update the memory guide. I forgot to add two things to it about those. One is added >>>

Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)

I will update the other two now

Well How much room do you have? I say that cause those again are budget sticks, and I cannot vouch for how good any budget stick is as I do not use/test them. Regular Mushkins heatsink is only about 1/4" Taller them ram without any on it. What cooler do you have and I will see if it will fit, it should.

These are the good ones there 996580 (Both are the same chips, different color sinks is all) >>>
          Mushkin 4GB XP2-6400 X-Line Extreme Memory (2x2GB) - Aria Technology

Those should fit under your fan, let me know what it is and I will check for ya

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Ya, so now you can up the FSB a little more. I would say keeping ram around 800-850 would be good until you can get some decent ram

You may be able to use trd 6-7 at those speeds

Ya, I need to update the memory guide. I forgot to add two things to it about those. One is added >>>

Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)

I will update the other two now

Well How much room do you have? I say that cause those again are budget sticks, and I cannot vouch for how good any budget stick is as I do not use/test them. Regular Mushkins heatsink is only about 1/4" Taller them ram without any on it. What cooler do you have and I will see if it will fit, it should.

These are the good ones there 996580 (Both are the same chips, different color sinks is all) >>>

Those should fit under your fan, let me know what it is and I will check for ya
            the original problem was that the ram wouldn't do 800mhz at 5-5-5-18 trd12 let alone the timings i've got it to now at 780mhz!

glad to hear those two timings wern't an indication of an unstable ram issue, odd though as i've never heard of them moving themselves before...

i suppose i could just about stretch to either of those, they do look pretty good...

the cooler is a scythe ninja rev.b - the cooler itself clears fine, its just the 120mm fan almost sits on top of the first ram stick as it is.

thinking about it... would it be detrimental to performance to use slots 2&4 rather than 1&3? i ask as i think there would be enough room for the ram if i were to do this, and it would run in dual channel still right?!

Comment

Ahh well you could/should have the fan on the other side anyway so it Pulls air thru the cooler. Or you could always grind down a small part of the fan housing where it touches

And nope you can use 2 and 4 just as well and it will still run dual channel

Comment

problem is i've got another 120mm fan as the case exhaust on that side, so i need the fan where it is to keep a good push/pull air current moving.

i think i might be able to mount the cooler fan slightly further up the fin array toward the ends on the heatpipes, but it may foul one of my double side panel fans

hopefully populating slots 2+4 would do the trick, since there would be no performance difference - i always got it into my head somehow that 1+3 should be used in preference to 2+4

will get ordering on the ram and hopefully get it through tomorrow

Comment

I would either use 2 and 4 or just use a dremmel and cut or grind off a small part of the bottom of the fan housing so it fits

2 and 4 may be milliseconds slower, but you for sure would not notice. Good pick, I am getting myself that exact set. Hope to order tomorrow, it is on sale here for $99 with a $20 rebate!!

Comment

Working...
                  X