Help with Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Everest

Just trying to understand all the different numbers that I'm getting with Everest.

Here's a pic of the motherboard/memory bus properties:

Here's a pic of the Cache and Memory Benchmark:

Trying to understand how the numbers in the memory bus properties and the numbers in the benchmark relate:

Memory bus bandwidth = 17062 MB/s

Cache and memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s

What about the L1 and L2 Cache??

How does all this stuff fit in with each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Help with Everest

Originally posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post
    Just trying to understand all the different numbers that I'm getting with Everest.

Here's a pic of the motherboard/memory bus properties:

Here's a pic of the Cache and Memory Benchmark:

Trying to understand how the numbers in the memory bus properties and the numbers in the benchmark relate:

Memory bus bandwidth = 17062 MB/s

Cache and memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s

What about the L1 and L2 Cache??

How does all this stuff fit in with each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Your Level 1 & 2 Caches are "On Chip" (say current Intel)

The idea of the Cache is to store regularly used bits of data in very fast memory (much faster than standard DDR ram). This way when the CPU is crunching numbers, it doesn't have to keep on going back to the slower main memory.
    CPU cache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks for the response VorLonUK.

I think I understand the roles of the CPU caches alot better now. I reckon I should separate the Cache speeds and Memory speeds. I assume neither effects the other and that they work indepentantly..???

I also I believe I have figured out why Everest lists my Memory Bus Bandwidth as 17062 MB/s:

FSB bandwidth = 8,531 MB/s

Memory Bus bandwidth = 8,531 MB/s x 2(Dual Channel) = 17,062 MB/s. Heh...so simple it caught me off guard.

Right now I am trying to figure out where the overclocking threshold is on my system. I'm pretty sure all of the memory timings are overclocked as far as they will go. I don't know for sure, possible they could be tightened up a little bit more. I have had the memory speed OC'd to upwards of 1100+ Mhz with the CPU OC'd 5% to 6% to 3.3 -3.5 Ghz. If I OC'd the CPU any more without adjusting the Memory Multiplier to bring down the memory speed then I would get triple reboots and the settings in the BIOS would resort back to factory defaults.

What I would like to know is how do I use the numbers
      memory Benchmark = (R)7438 MB/s (W)4860 MB/s (C)5556 MB/s
      in the Everest benchmark to determine how fast the memory bandwidth is. Do I need to average the 3 different numbers to get close to 8,500 MB/s labeled memory speed so as not to toast my memory???

Comment

The best place for your questions is Lavalys discussion Forum:

Lavalys Discussion Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Fiery is the man.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidDavisLeeSomething View Post

What I would like to know is how do I use the numbers in the Everest benchmark to determine how fast the memory bandwidth is. Do I need to average the 3 different numbers to get close to 8,500 MB/s labeled memory speed so as not to toast my memory???
          If you want to get close to the 8500MB/s your ram is rated at, you must properly and fully tweak the ram timings.

Just for a comparison here is my 6400 MB/s ram at 900Mhz or 7111 MB/s with some tweaks made, but nothing fully tested or tweaked. Posted this yesterday
          >>>

So your ram will do MUCH better then it is set to run at now, for sure with some tweaked settings

And Yeap, Lavalys Forums is a great place to read for info or make some posts about things

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            And Yeap, Lavalys Forums is a great place to read for info or make some posts about things
            Not for you Lsdmeasap but that is the Everest Forum and Fiery is a developer. No better or accurate information about Everest than there.

Comment

Yeah, I know. Why do you say "Not for me"?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Yeah, I know. Why do you say "Not for me"?
                Because you already know.

Comment

Ahh OK, Thought maybe you meant I should not post there

Comment

If you want to get close to the 8500MB/s your ram is rated at, you must properly and fully tweak the ram timings.
                    I reckon I'm gonna need some help then. For the last 2 or 3 days I have been tweaking a little here, tweaking a little there and mostly unsuccessfully. What you see in the pics below is the best that I have been able to do and have a successful reboot.

Here's the benchmark for the above settings. They're kinda slow, I'm using up some bandwitdth writing this and setting up the pics. They're usually about 125+ MB/s higher than this:

The only way I have been able to increase the memory bandwidth is to overclock the CPU. I 've tried adjusting the memory multiplier, with no help. I have been able to get 8,600+ MB/s but only once though. Was a couple of day ago and I can't for the life of me remember all of the settings. I had to oc the CPU quite a bit though, all the way up to 3.55 Ghz. In fact, increasing the FSB and/or CPU has been the only way I've been able to increase the memory bandwidth. I can oc the CPU to 3.2Ghz, FSB 320 Mhz, downclock the memory to 1066(533 Mhz). If I oc any higher it won't fly. Triple reboots and resets to factory defaults.

Been reading the sticks trying to understand what the heck I might be doing wrong. I just can't figure it out.

P.S. Here a better snapshot of the benchmark. I didn't have anything else up and running:

Almost forgot. I adjusted the memory multiplier to 4.0~ --> 1066 Mhz Strapping...whatever that means. Didn't make any difference. Also adjusted the memory multiplier to 4.0+ --> 800 Mhz Strapping without any difference.
                    Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

First, before you get any further SET PCI Express to 100... Always. You already mentioned overclock, so you better get used to seeing it set to 100 as a habit

You should be manually choosing the memory Multi, and choose the highest letter or symbol that will boot for you. So the 1066/400 strap would be the one to use

And yes, you will have to overclock your FSB and possibly bring down your CPU multi to 9 so you can set FSB higher to get the bst out of your ram

Have you tested 5-5-5-12 yet? Or 5-4-4-12? Just wondering

You will need to bring static tRead Value up to 6 or 7 to use the 400/1066 strap. And you may be able to also bring down Refresh to act to 45-50, read to precharge to 2. Of course all of that will only be of use if it is stable, so you must always test.

I would use this are to be trying 3.6 >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                      Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66] << use 400/1066 Strap
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4/5
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4/5
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 2 (3-4)
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (Also test 9-11 sometimes 4 or 11 is best)
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________45-50 (52-62)
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 2 (3-6)
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 6 (7-10)
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V - +0.300V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.2V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45] << you will have to test different values till you find what works. May be more and may be less, start high for sure so you can find a bootable voltage then lower later

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Or this for higher FSB >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                      Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66] << use 400/1066 Strap
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4/5
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4/5
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 2 (3-4)
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (Also test 9-11 sometimes 4 or 11 is best)
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________45-50 (52-62)
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 2 (3-6)
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 6 (7-10)
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V - +0.300V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.2V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45] << you will have to test different values till you find what works. May be more and may be less, start high for sure so you can find a bootable voltage then lower later

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Thanks for all that info LSD. I printed it all out. I made some adjustments to voltages that I didn't know about before. As far as any adjustments for oc-ing, well...some of your suggestion wouldn't either reboot successfully or if when tweaking the memory settings in Windows using MemSet would either decrease memory performance or more importantly freeze up everthing in Windows. Had to hit the RESET button.

I started with some new adjustments in BIOS. First I changed the Performance Enhance to EXTREME. Rebooted fine. Went back into BIOS and adjusted R.G.B to TURBO. Rebooted, got back into Windows without a hitch. Ran the benchmark and my memory bandwidth increased by at least 125 MB/s with out any real overclocking other than the memory timings being at 5-5-5-15 @ 1066Mhz.

Anyways, went back in the BIOS and began tweaking with the FSB, CPU and Divider and below are the pics.

This one is with just with CPU/FSB oc'd and the memory divider set for memory speed of 1066. (Cant remember what the divider was set at...3.0 I think)

Here's one the CPU/FSB oc'd a little bit more and the memory oc'd a little (about 3% to 1086 Mhz):

AND THEN......I tweaked the tRFC with MemSet a little bit and got this:

I haven't had a chance to test with either MemTest or Everest yet. I let you know what happens later.

Still, I'm not really comfortable with my knowlege of the Memory Multiplier. I mean I know it changes the FSB/DRAM ratio and I am comfortable with adjusting it so to match(or slightly oc) the memory speed.
                        But I don't know about all this "Strapping" stuff. On my system there is 4.0+(800 Mhz strapping) and 4.0~(1066 Mhz strapping) and 4.0#(1333 Mhz strapping only IF I had a faster CPU-fsb). If I use either the 4.0+ or the 4.0~ it overclocks my memory speed WAY too much if the CPU/FSB are OC'd.
                        Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Well if you tweak further your Advanced timings you will increase your write and copy speeds and latency. You want to use the 4.00~ 1066 strap for your ram. The strap is more related to FSB speeds so it you increase your FSB past 333 then you can easily use the 1333 Strap. Which you can easily do if you use a lower CPU multi and a higher FSB for the same speeds

And remember you can use a Higher CPU multi and lower FSB with a lower Memory multi if you are too close to your ram limits

What Static tRead Value are you on? This is the one that impact performance the most, followed by the below settings and of course the Main timings. Tref and Read To Write Delay also have huge impacts, but are not in your BIOS

You do have the right idea of testing things with memset in windows then changing in the BIOS. Just be sure when changing and testing the advanced ones that some are different then what is set in the BIOS so keep a eye on what the difference is and adjust in the BIOS accordingly.

Like rank Write to Read Delay will be +7 in windows from what you set in the BIOS.
                          So 4 = 11 in windows

Write to Precharge is +5 difference

And read to precharge is +2

Comment

You want to use the 4.00~ 1066 strap for your ram.
                            I've tried the 4.0~ 1066 Strapping with CPU/FSB at stock speeds and found no remarkable performance increases.

The strap is more related to FSB speeds so it you increase your FSB past 333 then you can easily use the 1333 Strap.
                            I don't have 4.0# 1333 Mhz Strapping available on my divider. Remember my processor only supports up to 1066. It just shows 4.0# 1333Mhz strapping over on the right of the screen. If I ever decided to upgrade up to CPU 1333 FSB I would more than likely have upgrade the memory to DDR3 too.

if you tweak further your Advanced timings you will increase your write and copy speeds and latency
                            I don't know how much farther I can lower the memory timings. here's what my numbers are:

5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RPD-tRAS)

tRRD-------------------------------------------------------3
                            Rank Write to Read Delay-----------------------------------3
                            Write to Precharge Delay------------------------------------6
                            Refressh to ACT Delay--------------------------------------52
                            Read to Precharge Delay------------------------------------3
                            Static tRead Value------------------------------------------4
                            Static tRead Phase Adjust----------------------------------AUTO

I lowered tRAS to 12 with MemSet in Windows, no remarkable increase in performance. On the contrary, performance DECREASED at least -150 Mb/s.

Adjusted Read to ACT Delay with a few different settings. Not too sure what to make of the results. Coulda swore that when I raised the values it increased performance and when I lowered the value there was next to no change...go figure.

Comment

What FSB are you using then? Just because your CPU is a 1066 means nothing, once you past 333 FSB you can use a 1333 Divider. So you must not be above 333 FSB then right? You can easily go way past that, you know this right? Use a 9 CPU multi and make your FSB 350 or so for 3.2 and then you can use it

Since I do not know your full settings I really cannot say for sure anything. But I can see tRAS slowing you down, or actually causing errors because your Static tRead Value is Way to low. I assume you are running over 800 Ram speeds so 6-7 would be what could be stable at 800, anything over 800 such as 900-1066 you should use 7-8 otherwise it will be to tight, and very likely is not memtest86+ stable

Comment

Working...
                              X