Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48T-DQ6 Now hangs at shutdown, but resets fine

Hi all,

I've recently got a X48T-DQ6 (F5 BIOS), and have been very happy with it so far as it absolutely flies with my Q9550 and 2GB of DDR3. However, I've just started encountering a problem with shutdown, or more precisely, powerdown, in XP Pro SP3.

When I go to shut the PC down via the start menu, everything occurs as normal, save settings etc., but then at the last moment, when Windows still shows 'shutting down computer' on screen, and just after the hard disks stop spinning and USB power drops, it will just hang there with the cursor frozen on screen displaying the same 'shut down' message. My only option there is to manually power-off via the power button.

I can't remember for the life of me what I've installed that may have caused this, as I've been re-installing all my hardware and software, of which there's a fair amount, and I guess any of this could be responsible. I've reset the BIOS settings, tried different disk controller modes etc., uninstalled the graphics card (Ati HD4950) but to no avail.

It's especially annoying knowing that it was working at one point, and that I can't think of what may have caused it to suddenyl behave this way, but I suppose I'd just throw this out there in case anyone can think of what may have caused this; if anyone else has suffered from the same problem?

I've removed all the Gigabyte utlis such as DES and @BIOS, Finetune etc., as I didn't need them (couldn't get DES to work anyway as it always asked to to reset the clocks to default speed, which I'm sure I have).

Can't think of what else to do apart from do a WinXP repair, but I'd rather not as I'm sure it's going to be a simple setting or driver/software that I've installed. Seems silly to have to do all that again, as like I say other than this issue it's running perfectly and very stable.

Any ideas? Anyone else experienced something similar? Help would be massively appreciated.

Re: X48T-DQ6 Now hangs at shutdown, but resets fine

I windows repair or A clean install would be best, the latter would be better. Do you have Performance Enhance set to turbo by chance? This could be why. If you have not messed with anything in the MIT section, then it IS on Turbo, and you should set it to Standard.

Aside from ram timings, or bad or incompatible ram, the only thing I could think it would be would have to either be a program or spyware/virus. I would think it is more likely one of those last few, since you said it worked fine before

That is unless you have been in the MIT section of the BIOS messing around.

Sounds to me like you have changed something, since DES tells you that you have

A windows repair install is easy to do, let me know if you need help with that. All you will have to reinstall is windows updates

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I set everything in MIT to as close to standard as I could (PE is set to standard too). It's strange, I could never get DES to function, it would always tell me to set everything to default before loading DES, but I couldn't see anything else to change back to a more conservative setting. (I'm not bothered about OCing, as I just want a stable PC, which it really is apart from the powerdown issue.)

It's strange -- the PC shutsdown perfectly, but just can't powerdown. I think I'll probably just go for the Windows repair and see if that solves it, otherwise perhaps a reinstallation.

Thanks again.

Comment

Reinstalled Windows, which sorted it out. My copy of Windows is an OEM disc, which I'm not sure lets you repair an installation anyway.

Comment

I've found that out of all the software apps i use, AV software can have the most impact on stability.

For instance where I like Kaspersky and use it - it caused all sorts of problems with the games overlay in Steam. There are other problems reported with other AV software too.
          I've even had an Nvidia driver clashing with some pretty benign apps before.

You just need to keep an eye on what you last installed.
          Plus after doing a clean install and adding the basic drivers, i do an Image with Acronis True Image, which is quick and reliable. Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ya, you could have done a Repair with OEM disk.

About DES, what it means really when it says stock is what you had things set at exactly when you installed it. That is what it thinks is stock, and of course you must also have C1E and EIST enabled.

Eset is what I use and recommend, without issues for AV

Comment

Oh, I just didn't get the option to repair the installation then, for whatever reason. All sorted now though.

Yeah, I used AVG until I realised it was the reason my music software was going haywire. Now I just run a virus check now and then, rather than have something in the background constantly.

Comment

Eset makes GREAT products, might want to check into them. You should have one running always to be safe.

Eset uses VERY little resources, with only 2 processes running. And I have never heard of it causing a issue with anything

Now, alot of other products do have adverse affects with certain things. I used to use kaspersky myself, but it used tons of resources. And Norton/Symantec I wont even go there!

For my XP setups, I use Mcafee Desktop Firewall Pro (Which is a Corporate Product so I doubt you could get that) but I have used their Standalone desktop firewall and it is good as well. And Eset's NOD32 Antivirus Older Version 2.70 not the New AV

In Vista I use Eset's Smart Security Suite. Here is how much Resources it uses, Not even 13,000 >>>

Comment

Working...
                X