Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Could you please re-post your answer about these headers - I remember the two 4-pin answers, but neglected to copy the rest & now it's gone...

Particularly, want to know if the NB header is controlled?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Re: X48-DQ6 fan headers info repost request...

Here is what svcglobal had posted. >>>

CPU_FAN connector needs a CPU cooler with four wires were the PWM modulator is included in the cooler. The mobo senses the CPU temperature and managing the pin 4 signal, the cooler's fan will automatically be increased or decreased, following the CPU temp. Fan's rotation feedback returns via pin 3 for BIOS alarm feature.

SYS_FAN2 connector needs any fan, with three or four wires (don't care) since the speed is controlled via on-board PWM controller that supply pulse-width-modulated 12v for the fan via pin 2.
    So, if using a four wire fan, its internal PWM is locked to full speed (this explain that fixed 5v on pin 4).
    This time, the mobo senses the North Bridge (in my case the P35) temperature and will increase or decrease the speed of the fan connected in this socket. Feedback is sent to pin 3 for BIOS alarm purposes.

SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN are three pin socket with fixed full speed fan. No controlled rotation at all from the mobo. Rotation feedback also monitored via pin 3 only for BIOS alarm purpose.
    *Note*
    You can go to your profile anytime and find your older posts, so you can see the replies. Just click your name on any post, then choose view profile or easier click find more posts by bilbat. Then you can see all posts you have made

But no, NB header has power only. No sensor or control

Comment

<o:p></o:p>

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bilbat View Post
        Thanks for re-posting the info, and also for pointing out where I could’ve found the original…<o:p></o:p>
        I guess my only remaining question is “Why is it labeled ‘SYS_FAN2’, and not ‘NB_FAN2’? I guess though, so long as I know how it WORKS, who cares what it’s called! It IS a neat setup, however: as far as I can figure, allows you to use either a 3 or 4 pin fan with alacrity. Have thought a lot about it, as I have used a lot of PWM motors (for about a decade, industrial servo systems [moving a ton or two to within a couple ten-thousandths of an inch] used PWM drives: got a lot of ‘oomph’ in a small package – only drawback was, as PWM was switched at an audio frequency [usually somewhere between 2 & 6 KHz] the motors tended to ‘sing’ at that frequency audibly) – wondered if there’d be any kind of ‘beat frequency’ problems. Far as I can think, though, if PWM is switched ‘dead on’ with 5v on pin 4, the pulse width modulated drive voltage supplied on pin 2 should pass right through the on-fan switching with no problem, as the on-fan controller has no ‘inherent’ frequency, and simply switches as dictated by pin 4.
        Have a case that has five fans: two exhaust at the top, one exhaust at the rear, one intake under the bottom, and a ‘puller’ to suck air through the drive stack… Tell the board design guys that what I’d like is about seven or eight of these fan headers, and a few thermistor headers, so I can, in the BIOS, slave any fan header to any (system accessible, like the CPU, NB, & memory, OR thermistors I can stick anywhere) temp reading – can’t cost more than fifty bucks or so, & would be SO handy!<o:p></o:p>
        Well – thanks again, & will (hopefully) talk to you soon when I start setting this beast up…<o:p></o:p>
        Bill
        The switching frequency is commonly around 25khz. An almost steady 5v on pin 4 represents a 100% duty cycle:-

Edit:- I can confirm too, that SYS_FAN 2 on my P35 board does NOT follow the 4 pin pwm fan standard (as the CPU header does). Instead they have made it into a Hybrid connection and indeed the voltage on Pin 2 which should be a steady 12volts (as per the 4pin fan standard) does appear to vary on system temperature (=>8 volts). I haven't determined if that is based on Northbridge, MB temperature etc.
        I can see why Gigabyte may have done this though. It can allow both a 3 pin or 4 pin fan to be temperature controlled via the board, although you have no control of this.
        Pin 4 though should be 0 volts when a fan isn't connected, as it is a 4 pin fans job to "pull up" the voltage to no more than 5.25volts for the PWM signal. I can only assume Gigabyte have set Pin 4 of the header to 5 volts on the rogue SYS_FAN 2 to ensure that if a 4 pin fan is connected it will run at 100% duty cycle and thus the supply voltage of Pin 2, as a 3 pin fan would.
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-26-2008, 07:33 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I think you're right about 'why they did it'; besides being able to control either kind of fan, a PWM solution is, overall, 'cleaner' than any other - a 'switch', i.e., a triac or a mosfet that's either ON or OFF always dissipates less heat per controlled watt of power than, say, the output half of a darlington pair... I just wish they'd do it, say, six or eight more times per board

Comment

darlington pair
            That's going back a bit :) I'm not even sure if Darlington transistors are still commonly available, well certainly not how they used to be. I'll have to check RS. RS Online
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

To quote another post of mine:

PC

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p itxtvisited="1">I originally learned FORTRAN as a fourteen year old junior in a Catholic high-school from a NUN who had made arrangements for us to use a mainframe at a local company. Disk drives were brand new (everything ran off tape) and looked like half a chest freezer. We programmed on punch cards, and the most horrible thing that could happen was not a bug requiring a rewrite, it was dropping your card deck, and having to put it back in order! :)</o:p>

Bill

Comment

To quote another post of mine:

"I’m an ‘old fart’ – my first PC

<o:p itxtvisited="1">I originally learned FORTRAN as a fourteen year old junior in a Catholic high-school from a NUN who had made arrangements for us to use a mainframe at a local company. Disk drives were brand new (everything ran off tape) and looked like half a chest freezer. We programmed on punch cards, and the most horrible thing that could happen was not a bug requiring a rewrite, it was dropping your card deck, and having to put it back in order! :)</o:p>

Bill
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I recall those 6502's; seems to me there were about 2 or 3 versions, all with 'proto-board' stick-in wiring segments on 'em - I think Rockwell probably sold a lot of micro-controllers based on the fact that so many people learned machine coding on 'em; sorta like Apple's policy of getting their systems into schools...

I remeber what a big deal it was to the Z-80 crowd when we finally got, WOW, an ASSEMBLER, & could quit hand-coding machine language!

Finally noticed (Duhh! Guess the UK at the end of your handle should've given me a clue... ) the you're from Great Britain: ever see any Midtec Spyders there? Worked for a while some time ago to import them here.
                  Built a prototype to re-engineer for US bits & pieces

[IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/743/****pitpb2.th.jpg[/IMG]
                  Was made for little four cylinders: dumped an aluminum V-8 into it - 325HP x 1300 pounds!
                  Always wondered if they were still in business?

Comment

Yeah, I recall those 6502's; seems to me there were about 2 or 3 versions, all with 'proto-board' stick-in wiring segments on 'em - I think Rockwell probably sold a lot of micro-controllers based on the fact that so many people learned machine coding on 'em; sorta like Apple's policy of getting their systems into schools...

I remeber what a big deal it was to the Z-80 crowd when we finally got, WOW, an ASSEMBLER, & could quit hand-coding machine language!

Finally noticed (Duhh! Guess the UK at the end of your handle should've given me a clue... ) the you're from Great Britain: ever see any Midtec Spyders there? Worked for a while some time ago to import them here.
                    Built a prototype to re-engineer for US bits & pieces

[IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/743/****pitpb2.th.jpg[/IMG]
                    Was made for little four cylinders: dumped an aluminum V-8 into it - 325HP x 1300 pounds!
                    Always wondered if they were still in business?
                    I might have done :) . There was a garage I remember going to with an ex of mine to get her a second hand Ford Puma and they sold loads of that type of car you show. I think one of the makes was Caterham..
                    Caterham Cars - Designed for racing, built for living

The CSR260, 0-60 in 3.1 seconds!
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

The Caterhams also, like the Midtec, represent the 'old British tradition' of sports-car ownership: rain leaking in around the side-curtains, and, if you're really a masochist, you can use some old Lucas electrics, and drive around with a flashlight, two clip-jumper wires, and a slew of fuses, for when the inexolerable electrical problem crops up during any journey longer than six miles.

Had a lively time getting the thing built. Reminded me of an old (think it was Mark Twain) quote I once read: "The two things seperating Great Bitain and the United States are the Atlantic ocean and the English language."
                      Boots, bonnets, didn't know WHAT was going on... At one point, a manufacturer of engine/transmission adapter plates and I tried to figure out what the 'bobbin' listed with an old part was - never DID figure out what was meant...

His secretary (fairly young) had just a darling English accent, and I used to tease her about being taken with her, but I told her "don't take this seriously, I'm only flirting: I have underwear that've been dustrags longer than you've been alive!"

Bill

Comment

The Caterhams also, like the Midtec, represent the 'old British tradition' of sports-car ownership: rain leaking in around the side-curtains, and, if you're really a masochist, you can use some old Lucas electrics, and drive around with a flashlight, two clip-jumper wires, and a slew of fuses, for when the inexolerable electrical problem crops up during any journey longer than six miles.

Had a lively time getting the thing built. Reminded me of an old (think it was Mark Twain) quote I once read: "The two things seperating Great Bitain and the United States are the Atlantic ocean and the English language."
                        Boots, bonnets, didn't know WHAT was going on... At one point, a manufacturer of engine/transmission adapter plates and I tried to figure out what the 'bobbin' listed with an old part was - never DID figure out what was meant...

His secretary (fairly young) had just a darling English accent, and I used to tease her about being taken with her, but I told her "don't take this seriously, I'm only flirting: I have underwear that've been dustrags longer than you've been alive!"

Bill
                        I think the bit about the English language is very true :-)

As for "bobbin", if I've read that right i could mean a "pulley". Also cotton would be on a "bobbin" say for a sewing machine feed. So i suppose a bobbin could be a part of a tensioner on a cam belt etc....

Comment

Yeah, here, the only common usage of bobbin is for sewing: it's the little metal spool that comes with the sewing machine, and holds the thread (when utilized) for the back-stitching; so when you change colors, the first thing you do is load your spool of thread onto a little gizmo that winds it onto the empty bobbin.

However, this was part of an assembly that went between the transaxle and the engine, and, of course, we couldn't find a drawing! Don't know what a pulley would be doing in there - thought it might be the throw-out bearing, but, no joy: you appear to translate 'throw-out bearing' as 'throw-out bearing'...

Comment

Working...
                          X