Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bios setting on Ds3r for sata 3.0gb/s transfer speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios setting on Ds3r for sata 3.0gb/s transfer speeds?

My hd isn't as fast advertised. I am wondering if there is a bios setting that needs to be enabled to ensure I am getting the 3.0gb/s transfer on my seagate sata drive.
    I7 - 2600K
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Sapphire 7970
    ASUS XONAR DX
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Re: Bios setting on Ds3r for sata 3.0gb/s transfer speeds?

I don't recall ever seeing a BIOS option for that.

Seagate drives used to ship with a jumper to restrict them to 1.5Gb/s on SATA2, but I doubt you would notice the difference since 1.5Gb/s is about 187MB/s -- clearly more than single SATA drive can produce.

How do you measure the speed of the drive?

Comment

Yes, please check for this jumper and remove if if you need to. No onboard controller can do even SATA I speeds so you will not see 150 or 300 MB/s a second for sure, but you should see decent speeds depending on your drive size, cache, and spindle speed, and of course what settings you are using in the BIOS.

Ya, what benchmark tool are you using? I would suggest this one >>>
      HdTach

Still need help with this, please post your system specs, and drives full specs and what transfer rates you are seeing and I can let you know if they are within the normal ranges

Comment

Originally posted by bodean View Post
        My hd isn't as fast advertised. I am wondering if there is a bios setting that needs to be enabled to ensure I am getting the 3.0gb/s transfer on my seagate sata drive.
        That rate is only to do with HD buffer to Motherboard Interface. It has no bearing on platter data to buffer, which is considerably slower.

The "InterFace" speeds have indeed increased, ie 150MB/s (aka 1.5Gb/s) (note the switch too between Bytes and Bits) to 300MB/s (aka 3.0Gb/s), but as per my comments above, the bandwidth is there for when devices become quicker.
        It's another case of the industry selling hype.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
        X