Ds3l + cas6 ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ds3l + cas6 ram

Hey there everyone, first noob post so go easy....

Just got myself a P35 DS3L + E7200 (9.5 multi)

also some value Dane-Elec Elenade 2x2GB ram. (CAS6)

i was gonna get better stuff but this is an intermediate upgrade really as funds are tight but my old socket 478 system was getting painful!

now, I'm gonna overclock, but expect nothing from the ram being as it was so cheap, I'm thinking a 1:1 divider + 400fsb to run the ram at its standard settings, yet get a cpu boost from 2.53ghz to 3.8

I'm running stock at the mo with +0.2 MCH, +0.1ddr2, +0.1 fsb and 1.25 vcore

have set trfc to 52 as advised by 'lsdmeasap' in a few past threads as well as the added northbridge voltage.

before i overclock though, i need to set the memory timings, yet can't find any for CAS6

would 6-6-6-18 be safe + conservative @400fsb, since i'm only gonna run this stuff at it's recommended speed anyway?

performance enhance set to standard

many thanks!

Dylan
    Last edited by dylan0451; 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM. Reason: edit

Re: Ds3l + cas6 ram

would 6-6-6-18 be safe + conservative @400fsb
    Possibly, but with any overclock you should slowly build up to your target speed, checking with memtest and checking your CPU temperatures along the way.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

So did you find the memory settings? They are in MIT section of the BIOS, you will not be able to adjust them until you enable the Bold setting below >>>
      DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

And just have to say it, WOW CAS 6 ram? Never heard of such a cheap thing. Time to save up some $$ for sure

Comment

sorry lsd i meant i couldn't physically find a data sheet for the ram

when i downloaded cpuz, on the memory timings table thingy it said at ddr2800 speeds it would do 5-5-5-18 so thats what i've put in the bios and all seems well!

i've left refresh to act delay at 52 also.

with those settings i can run 400*9.5=3.8ghz

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] - i read on another forum that this setting directly affects the cpu voltage?

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35]

was orthos stable for half hour or so like this, max temps in real temp were around 60-62 so i dropped cpu voltage to 1.3 in the bios - after the vdrop in windows + vdroop under load the voltage was reading somethin like 1.264v

still have to test tonight.

is 50-60c an ok temp for long term use on air cooling (scythe ninja)

i was considering dropping MCH but i am running 2x2gb...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
        Last edited by dylan0451; 09-26-2008, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Looks good, And yes that is good temps as well

Mch maybe can come to .15 if your board will do it, if not you will have to test .1

Comment

glad to hear it - i meant 50-60c orthos load, though thats probably obvious its not idle temp! (32-33)

will lower MCH if i can, incidentally, what program will read northbridge temps in windows?

i did put 'FSB OverVoltage Control' to normal/0

is 'FSB OverVoltage Control' linked to cpu voltage? i get the impression it adds a voltage which may not necessarily be seen via cpuz?
            Last edited by dylan0451; 09-26-2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

EasyTune will read it, I think it is System or Motherboard in that. Everest Ultimate will, PC Wizard will as well

Ya, it does add some but you will be fine with +0.1 for sure

Comment

in that case i think i'll put 'FSB OverVoltage Control' back to +0.1 and see if that allows me to drop cpu voltage any further.

i have no idea of the northbridge temp at the mo, so need to check that sharpish.

i replaced the stock ally NB cooler with one of these complete with fan:

EnzoTech

and arctic silver ceramique

what is considered an unsafe temp for the NB chip? same as cpu?

Comment

I like Enzotech, I have a few of their PWM/Mosfet Heatsinks and VGA ram heatinks, Very nice products!

CPU Temps you want to keep Core Temps under 65-70 +/-

NB Temps normal is 35-50, anything above that would be considered warm, all In Celsius

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    I like Enzotech, I have a few of their PWM/Mosfet Heatsinks and VGA ram heatinks, Very nice products!

CPU Temps you want to keep Core Temps under 65-70 +/-

NB Temps normal is 35-50, anything above that would be considered warm, all In Celsius

i was quite taking a liking to those 4 pin copper mosfet sinks - make much difference stability wise on the board or not worth worrying about until silly FSB figures?!

if i can't get voltages low enough for cores to sit at the high 50's i'd probably underclock by 100mhz or so, i read that when getting up to the 4ghz point on air heat output is huge compared to the actual performance gain anyway

Comment

Well, if you got the cash they are nice! But ya, likely not needed until you hit High FSB's,

Ya, it likely would be hot on Air at 4Ghz with that CPU? Maybe not, depends on your cooler I guess, and your case airflow. I ran a E3100 (Same as E8400) on Air at 4ghz 24/7 for long time with a Zalman 9700 LED at decent temps, I could even do 4.4 >>>
                      CPU-Z Validator 2.1 - 4.41GHz

And that was just messing around

All depends on your voltages and what you are cooling with I suppose
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X