Re: EP35-DS3L and 4x1GB sticks of RAM

These settings are currently running without issue -

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 5
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 12
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7

The only thing im worried about is why the motherboard cant detect these settings automatically. I've never seen a motherboard require user intervention on "advanced" timings just to run correctly. Does this not put the novice computer user in a very bad spot?

Comment

Clearly, this board is not for the novice. Having gone through all this with my board, I now feel a lot more confident about setting BIOS parameters and tweaking the system to get the most out of it. Most people do not want to go through all this. I would think that default settings would get you stable, even if you missed out on all your components could give you if tweaked properly. That is not the case with these boards. And there is absolutely no customer support from Gigabyte to fill that gap, either. They should be paying LSD a salary!
      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
      Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Thanks mxcrowe

Yeah Gigabyte boards are not for the novice, almost like DFI boards now! Which is great for the overclockers. Not so great for those who do not know

LTDAN, when you buy Expensive hardware and components you should EXPECT to manually set things. Auto which is programmed by the BIOS is like I said set that way in a attempt to make it so that the minimal hardware in most any configuration will start so that the user can get into the BIOS and make the needed changes for their own spefic components.

You can work on trying to lower these if you like >>>

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 5 <<< Can be likely 3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 12 <<< Can be likely 3-5 or 9-11 (Test each range to see which is best, both will likely work)

Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10 <<< Can be likely 3-6
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68< << Can be likely 50-54 or so
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6 <<< Can be likely 3-5

Comment

I appreciate the response.

I understand the gigabyte boards are not for the novice, but I try to grasp the entire realm of users when I make posts that I know will help others in the future.

I actually got this board for $85 at a local retailer, and thats cheap in my book :)

But thank you once again, the system has been running strong ever since. I would try to tweak the ram settings, but ill be installing the new MSI P45 board I bought tomorrow night, and my brother will be taking this one and only using 2GB ram. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't giving him a potentially disastrous motherboard.

Much appreciated LSD :D

Comment

YA, that is a good price for sure

Anytime, good luck with things. And feel free to post back anytime

Comment

Working...
            X