EP35-DS3L and 4x1GB sticks of RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3L and 4x1GB sticks of RAM

First, I would like to say this forum has helped me out remendously in the past, kudos to you guys.

Currently I'm having issues with my EP35-DS3L. I have 4x1gb sticks of DDR2 800 ram (all 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v) but when all four sticks are in im getting random BSOD's that never seem to stop until I pull 2 sticks of ram out.

From the multiple threads I've read on google searching, the P35 chipset has a hard time powering 4 DIMM's at once above 2.1v. I've tried adjusting the MCH and FSB voltage, and act to refresh times on the RAM to no avail.

Memtest shows errors on the RAM when all 4 DIMM's are being used, but individually all the ram shows no errors in memtest, in all of the DIMM's.

I've tried raising the CAS Latency to 5-5-5-15/18 but the issues continue to persist.

If anyone could have an idea of what the issue is, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS- I've used both the F5c beta BIOS and F5 and same results.

Re: EP35-DS3L and 4x1GB sticks of RAM

This sounds like the classic Gigabyte "inability to deal with multiple sticks" issue. I thought this was primarily a P45/43 issue, but I guess it extends to the P35 too. Can you post your full system specs, including PSU? That will help narrow things down. This is right up LSD's alley, so you might have to wait a bit until he gets a chance to check the board.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Sure.

650watt Dual 12v rail power supply
      GA-EP35-DS3L
      E7200
      4GB ram (patriot 1gb sticks at 4-4-4-12)
      BFG 9800GTX+
      PCI-e 1x Intel PT1000 NIC
      Creative Audigy SE modded to X-Fi Xtreme Audio
      Seagate 250GB 3gb/s single platter hard drive
      Samsung DL-DVDRW

I also have a 80mm fan sitting on the video card actively cooling the northbridge and RAM (infamous P35 heat on the DS3's)

Comment

And the system is stable with any 2 sticks in, even in dual-channel?
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

Correct.

It's the weirdest thing i have personally ever seen.

I do IT work for a local Dedicated Hosting company, so hardware failure's are my expertise, and I cannot figure this one out :(

Comment

Well, I (and others) had the same experience with 2x2gb of RAM. Stable with one stick, but not with both...stable in single channel, not in dual. After much tweaking and BIOS updates, mine is finally stable, but still won't resume from S3 standby without BSODs.
            Welcome to Gigabyte's world...
            However, I think you should be able to get it stable. LSD is the expert, so wait for him to take a look at it.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I went ahead and purchased a new P45 motherboard due to this issue (its been ongoing for 2 months) and I'm gonna give this one to my brother. I'm hoping if the issue can be resolved, he wont be weary of using this one...

Comment

If you would like me to try and help you with this board settings please post the settings you were using that failed >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
                ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
                Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

When you flashed from F5c back to F5 (Which I suggest a NON beta so use F% fro now) did you load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot back into the BIOS to make your needed changes? If not you MUST do this.

Also be sure when you do if you are using RAID to NOT load windows until you have rebooted back into the BIOS and made your needed disk setting changes or you will corrupt your RAID

Comment

Yes, I did load the optimized defaults after flashing the new BIOS. I reverted back to the beta bios because the BSOD's did not come as frequent as they did with F5. I used the F5c as it came out 2 months before F5 to fix the CPU voltage issue that was happening with F4 and previous BIOS revisions.

ICH7 does not support raid, so im good there.

Here's the details of the BIOS you asked for -

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                  CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                  Fine CPU Clock Ratio__________[+0.5] (E7200 with the 9.5 multiplier)
                  CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
                  CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                  C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                  System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.00] (cant run 1:1 without overclocking)
                  DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4/5
                  Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4/5
                  Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4/5
                  Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15/18
                  ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
                  Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
                  Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
                  Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54-62
                  Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
                  Static tRead Value_______________ 4
                  Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                  DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V]
                  PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                  FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                  (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                  CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.32500V]

I've tried 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15/18 with same results. I also tried lowering the voltage to the DIMM's when going to 5-5-5-15/18.

Thanks for the help so far, its greatly appreciated!
                  Last edited by LTDAN; 08-24-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Here is also a memset snippet of the current timings. All of the advanced timings for the memory are set to auto, so I placed the timings it said were defaults in the list you gave me.

Comment

Static tRead Value_______________ 4

Manually set to 7 or 8 and see if that helps. You may also want to try manually setting Refresh to Act to 62-68 and Act to Act to 4-5

Actually you should test with these settings and see if that is ok >>>

Ram speed at 800

444-12 try first with below settings, if no luck try 555-12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 5
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 12
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 10
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]

Comment

It's stable for the time being.

Prime95 has been running for an hour so far with no errors. Ill post after a 12 hour run and a few passes with memtest.

I appreciate the help!

Comment

Anytime. Glad You are getting somewhere with it

Comment

So far so good. It ran Prime95 for 8 hours and memtest for 4.

I really appreciate the help.

By any chance could you explain to me how this would fix it? I don't understand why the motherboard could not support the default memory timings that it suggested?

Comment

Anytime, glad I could be of some help

So what settings are you now using? Can you please post them and I will try and help you get them better

Well the "Default" or "Auto" as chosen by the board is programmed so that any user with most any ram can get the system started and get into the BIOS to make the needed changes. Running 4x1GB with everything on Auto is not going to get the right timings/voltages to the board is why. The SPD on the ram, which is where it stores "General" timings that Auto tries to use is programmed there by the ram maker for a 2x1 setup so they just would not work in a 4x1. Additionally using this much ram on any board is going to need some Direct user settings changed as every board is going to vary on how it accepts a 4x1 or 2x2 setup

You dont want your board trying to guess what your ram needs to use do you? I mean it could, and sometimes works ok. But generally it is always best for the user to set them, even if you choose to set them high and not mess with getting the best out of the ram.

Comment

Working...
                              X