GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Have you added MCH voltage? Tried other ram? It is a BIOS related error as you see on page 1 I posted image of the recently released fix for P35

Comment

I had the same problem with my motherboard, however mine had an AMD chipset (GA-MA770DS3). At first, my computer would not resume from S3. After screwing around with it for about a week, I finally got it to resume about a third of the time. Same problem, however - the machine would suddenly crash at some point after resuming. One day I tried changing the "Cool-n-Quiet" bios setting back to enabled and presto - no more crashing. Your board (intel based) may have it listed under another name, but it probably does the same thing. I also used a shareware program called MCE Standby Tool, and that helped with all the registry settings and options for sleep. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE........

Comment

I think that would be C1E but it needs to be disabled to overclock in Intel Boards for sure. TM2 can be enabled though and has been said by a few to help as well

Comment

Just found this thread, but noticed you guys had already seen my thread on another forum: Vista x64 BSODs on Resume from S3 Standby - Vista Forums
          I'm still having the same problem as has been detailed here. I certainly hope this is something that will be resolved via a BIOS update. I have used the Gigabyte Tech Support web page, but they were not helpful. Does anyone have a good email address for Gigabyte so they know that many of us are experiencing this problem?
          As for S1, forget it...you might as well leave your system on. S4/Hibernate is fine, but definitely takes longer to resume than S3. S4 is what I'm using now, or just shut down. It would be nice to simply come back from S3 quickly.
          I just dual-booted my system (Vista x64 and OpenSUSE 11.0). Interesting to note that the S3 and S4 equivalents are working fine under Linux, though it took some work to make S3 function correctly via the desktop (vs. a terminal window command).
          Anyway, this resume from S3 problem seems to be an overlap of 1) this family of motherboards, 2) Vista64, and 3) 4GB of memory. Is that correct?
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
          Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

By the way, my system specs are on the referenced thread, but I'll copy them here too:

Gigabyte GA-P45-DS3L (BIOS F7)
            E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.2Ghz)
            SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-15 (T800UX4GC5)
            Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD
            EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
            Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU
            Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.0.4)
            Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

I have a GA-EP45C-DS3R motherboard with the same problem. I can suspend and resume from disk (Hibernation) but when I resume from S3 I get BSOD. Or sometimes it happens after 1 to 2 minutes. I have updated to the latest BIOS firmware F3 but still have the same problem.

It sounds like a common problem accross the P45 motherboards. Have any of you managed to resolve this?

Core2Duo E7250 Wolfdale
              Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R
              Crucial 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333
              Vista (x64) + SP1

Comment

One more thing that may or may not help - on my gigabyte motherboard (ga-ma770ds3 - amd chipset) I remember receiving a "memory management" error after resuming from S3. So I continued to tinker with the advanced bios settings for memory. The bios settings may be differently named (I'm not sure whether bios settings for memory are motherboard-specific or processor-specific or whatever). But these were the advanced memory settings I had:
                (Mushkin #996558 memory): DQS Training Control - [Perform DQS], CKE Power Down Mode [Enable], CKE Power Down Control [per Channel], Memclock tri-stating [Disabled], Bank Swizzle Mode [Disabled].
                I don't know whether these settings contributed to S3 working or not - but I did keep tinkering with them until I could get it to work. You guys may be light years ahead of me on your knowledge of this stuff - but I was able to overclock mildly with S3 working (2200 mhz @ 2533 mhz). Once again - mine was AMD, yours is Intel - so this settings may not help you at all.
                You guys are probably right about your F3 bios still having a sleep-related design flaw. When I finally got mine to work the bios was already at F6 revision. Chances are, getting S3 sleep to work might be a low priority for the Gigabyte software engineers.
                If I could get an extra 1000+ megahertz out of my overclock, I would probably choose to deal with the sleep issues and keep the overclock speed. Hope this helps......

Comment

Packrat, I'm pretty sure the differences in the chipset, supporting firmware, BIOS, etc. are too vast for there to be a common cause on your board. All these other systems have some very common underlying features. It's unlikely that the changes you made to get stability would apply in the case of the P43/45 boards.

Comment

Mine doesn't wake up after going to sleep also...I accidentally hit "sleep" when I meant to hit restart. Then my computer wouldn't boot and I had to turn off the power supply from behind. After that it rebooted ok. I'm staying away from sleep until a BIOS comes out to fix it.
                    Components:
                    Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
                    BIOS Version:F11e
                    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
                    Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
                    Power Supply: Corsair TX750
                    Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
                    Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
                    Cooling System: Zalman 9700
                    Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Comment

You can disable the sleep feature and/or if you are using vista you can change the buttons and settings so you dont accidentally hit sleep (See my post in this thread #15)

Comment

All,
                        As recommended, I specifically spelled out this issue to Gigabyte Tech Support using their web interface so that they were aware how many people are having this problem. I'm very tempted to post the entire conversation I have had with Gigabyte since receiving this board. The most generous term I can come up with is *hopeless*. As far as I can tell, they have no interest in facing the issue directly. The sum total of their suggestions to me is essentially, "go out and buy several brands and speeds of memory and see if you have the same problem". Hey, maybe it's the language barrier... In any case, I am thoroughly unimpressed and at this point, would *NOT* buy another Gigabyte board. Just to balance out my negativity here, I should add that the folks from EVGA and SuperTalent have been very helpful and supportive, and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again. Free market forces at work, eh?

Comment

mxcrowe, I do agree with you..... however waiting for bios updates is like waiting for the grass to grow. Although its probably not worth messing with, I just thought those settings (or whatever name they are given on your bios) might be worth looking into. The fact the both boards are coming from the same manufacturer might indicate general similarities in the approach to the design of the bios - but that's pretty much it. It seems as though the sleep issues have been given the same low priority (as compared to other issues) by the engineers for both gigabyte boards. I am somewhat familiar with the differences between both systems. There is just so many possible combinations of bios settings that any one person would be hard pressed to go through them all (and test for S3 issues). Best of luck guys......

Comment

Also, my system (although a different gigabyte board) is also vista64 sp1, and 4 gig memory.

Comment

Yes, I agree...I'm not holding my breath for a BIOS release to fix this. Giga doesn't seem to even want to acknowledge the problem so far.
                              For sure, this seems to be an overlap of 1) Gigabyte P43/P45 based mobos; 2) Vista64 sp1; and 3) two (or more?) sticks of memory
                              I think I noted above that I can get openSUSE Linux to work properly on the same system, including suspend to RAM and suspend to disk...same F7 BIOS.

Comment

Interesting that it works properly with openSUSE. So, openSUSE goes to real S3 state, with all fans stopped, harddisks stopped and power led off? And all 4GB of ram works before and after resume? Just want to make sure, since on linux it is more likely to find workarounds for operations that are tricky to get to work on some hardware.

If it is a "real" S3 sleep (so the same that Vista attempts to go to) on Linux then it is more likely to be a Vista driver problem. But still it could be a hardware or bios problem. In case the Linux kernel has some work arounds for some bugs in bios/hardware which the Vista drivers do not have, then it would still be the fault of the bios/hardware and not a problem of the driver (also the driver could solve it perhaps).

Comment

Working...
                                X