EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Hmmm That is strange you get all the better options but not that! It is in P35 boards now

You are safe either way up to any voltage (For a short while anyway) as long as temps are fine. With a Huge drop like you have 1.4 in BIOS is likely fine and still good on temps depending on your cooler

Comment

Hopefully I won't have to go that high. Maybe Gigabyte will include the feature in a BIOS revision. I'll have to see. Also, hopefully I won't have to go as far as 1.4V. At my current Vdrop and Vdroop that would put me around 1.3V under full load. I'll see if I can get a hold of Gigabyte and at least ask if they will be including that feature. I totally agree with you that I'm surprised they don't have that as all their competitors due for similarly priced boards. Having a 0.105V difference between BIOS value and load value is a lot.
      Components:
      Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
      BIOS Version:F11e
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
      Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
      Power Supply: Corsair TX750
      Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
      Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
      Cooling System: Zalman 9700
      Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Comment

Well if you really only get 1.3 at Idle by setting 1.4 in the BIOS then you still have .36 area of room over 1.4. Get what I mean? If not Let me know

Comment

Well good news. I bumped my voltage up to 1.35V in the BIOS (CPU-Z shows 1.296 at idle and 1.248 under Prime95 load). I ran Prime 95 for over an hour and a half and no errors. After doing some research online I discovered that I'm not the only one with extreme Vdrop and Vdroop issues. Most people reported around .008V though...I'm at a little over 0.1V. I'm surprised the engineers would put that much resistance. I called Gigabyte and asked them about it and he said that all I can do is keep raising the voltage until I reach the 1.3625V Q9450 threshold in CPU-Z...which I apparently don't have to do. He said that Intel specs are that the CPU can run at as low as 0.85V at stock speed so they don't stick the Vdroop control in like other manufacturers. I read of other users...in particular the ones going for 3.8 - 4 Ghz using BIOS voltages over 1.5V. That or they use the graphite pencil method to add conductance to the resistor that's causing the issue and reduce the Vdrop/Vdroop. My temps are still good...35, 35, 39, 39 right now. Under Prime95 load peak core temps were 58, 55, 55, 56 and peak system temp was 51C. CPU package temp never went above 38C. Memory is currently running at 1020 MHz (set MCH Latch to Auto and it is presently using 333MHz) and I did have to bump up the voltage a tad to get Memtest to go all the way through. It froze on me in Test 6 at the original voltage. Apparently the voltage has serious Vdrop as well. I have it at 2.18V in the BIOS and HWMonitor is showing it as 2.14V.
          Components:

Comment

They did in P35, only in recent updates. So I think he is lost! Seems funny they would add it in this year and drop it also in the same year! But ya never know with GA.

But yeah you can set whatever in the BIOS until you see 1.365 in CPU-z at ilde. And you can go over 1.365 as well.... If you like. Your CPU will live as long as it is cool, and you will buy a new one way before it dies either way!

Yeah they will run Very low voltages, I ran mine at .72 while calibrating RealTemp just this past week after a system Reinstall

You need to be careful in what CPU Voltages you are looking at people saying as 1.5V and such is for 65NM CPU's. I have not seen ANYONE needing that for a 45NM CPU, I use 1.32 and less for 4.0Ghz, and the most I have seen users complaining about having to use is 1.4-1.45 and yes that is quads as well

Sounds like you are making some progress and learning a bit more about your settings though that is great. You will soon be able to jump around in the BIOS and try large jumps or More FSB less CPU Multi with ease.

Temps also look good for Quad I think you are set

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help...I obviously have this web page bookmarked and I'm sure I'll have other questions!
              Components:

Comment

No Prob man, Glad I could be of some help.... Even if it was just a little.

Feel free to post back anytime and good luck with your venture

Comment

I'm back...haha. I just noticed last night that on Auto my board was putting the CPU PLL at 1.65V. I read that I should avoid anything over 1.6V. Therefore I dropped the PLL Voltage back to 1.57V and things still seem stable...granted with the Vdrop and Vdroop the Auto setting may have been alright. I also manually entered the CPU Termination Voltage at 1.32V. Do these appear good? I was told the Termination voltage should get bumped a little bit from stock (1.2V) as it aids in overclocking stability. Some people were saying they could go as high as 1.5V but that sounds high to me.
                  Components:

Comment

Yeah Auto as I always say can be too much or too little and should only be used if you have to. Nice to see you have caught it doing a bad job and corrected it.

Yes that all looks good, especially since you are stable.

Termination voltage is also known as Vtt, and yes you should for sure keep that below 1.5v for a 45NM CPU. 1.5 is getting up there and is known to have actually Fried a 45NM CPU at anandtech so I would keep it under 1.4 or so >>>
                    AnandTech

Comment

I have a quick question. In the Bios and Easytune, is the value shown for "System Temp" the ambient case temp or the NB chip temp?

I'm asking because I'm pumping a lot of volts into the NB and I'm hoping the low temps I'm seeing are an indication that I'm running safe.

It used to vary a good deal, but after I added some NB cooling it never varies from 41c no matter how many volts I'm pushing. (Haven't tried aything higher than 1.42v for MCH Core cause I'm scared).

Comment

It is the NB temp. Thats good for those voltages!

Nice to see, I'd like to pump on mine as well. I do redo all pastes on boards when I get them though.

I am using 1.24 now and get 35C

Comment

Yeah, I got the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II active heat pipe cooler and re-did the paste as well.

Pretty cheap insurance for $25.

Comment

Ya, they are nice, And at that price you cannot complain!

Anything is better then stock, but those you can just feel how heavy they are and know you will have good temps

Comment

Working...
                            X