EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Have you took the CPU out of the equation yet to be sure that is not the issue? Well I suppose 3.2 vs 3.4 is not much of a difference anyway. I personally would leave it at 3.2 if I could not get it any higher easily

I think you made a OK choice for a board, I would pick a P45 over a X38/X48 anytime. Just would get the DS4 or DQ6 though.

Well since you have the fan installed the ram is warrantied to 2.2 right? I believe it is so it may be worth the try

Ill do some reading about Skew and such this weekend, I need to anyway to add some info on that into the Ram Sticky I posted yesterday. So I may have just some general info for you about it, but like I said without having a board with those options I do not feel comfortable suggesting something I cannot try myself.

I plan to get a P45 just not sure how long it will be, I am in the middle of modding out a Rocketfish case right now and I have some things I need to buy for it before I can even start thinking about my next board.

Comment

I just played around in my BIOS and I'm sure it is memory related and not CPU. I decided to convert the other memory voltage settings (the only one I'd changed was the DRAM Voltage). Instead of Auto I manually entered the normal values in for both the MCH voltages (except the MCH Core and Reference as I know those don't like to be touched) and DRAM voltages and the computer would boot but the minute I got in Windows it froze. I tried it again putting all the MCH voltages back to auto and leaving the DRAM ones and it did the same thing. Changed those back to Auto and now everything is running normal again. I guess it is just a glitch between the memory and board, as you've mentioned. They work fine together on Auto until the 1600MHz bus speed and then anything over and they don't. Maybe a future BIOS update will help. The only reason I didn't get the DS4 or DQ6 was this board was on sale and I'd just had a failed power supply wipe out my old system (P4 [email protected], 4GB RAM, 2 hard drives including a Raptor, Asus P5AD2 motherboard, Nvidia 7600GT, and Plextor DVD writer). I was in a rush to get something together (you don't realize how much you depend on the Internet and your computer until it doesn't work...and I was tired of borrowing my gf's laptop). I only intend to keep this system for a year and a half or two and then Nehalem and DDR3 will be mature and lower in price and I can move up.
      Components:
      Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
      BIOS Version:F11e
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
      Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
      Power Supply: Corsair TX750
      Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
      Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
      Cooling System: Zalman 9700
      Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Comment

MCH CORE is what I have been telling you that you need to add voltage to, that is what you need to change. What was you meaning you changed when you said before 1.36 and such and then said you meant MCH. MCH what? It should have been MCH Core Voltage, I am sorry If I did not convey it to you properly as this is the one you should be changing

And you may also want to add some FSB voltage Which I believe is ICH Core on the P45

Comment

Yes...I was changing the MCH Core before...all the way up to 1.42V and I couldn't get it to pass Memtest...kept freezing. This time (two posts ago) I decided to manually enter the other voltage settings instead of having them all say "Auto". That didn't work either. I tried:

CPU VCore: 1.3125V
          CPU Termination: 1.34V
          CPU PLL: 1.57V
          CPU Reference: 0.758V

MCH Core Auto (I've been changing this like you said...as high as 1.42 Volts with no stability so I left it on Auto because it is the only setting that works)
          MCH Reference (0.768V) - Now it is back on Auto because it didn't like any other value except Auto
          MCH/DRAM Reference (1.01V) Changed back to Auto when 1.01V didn't work
          ICH/IO - 1.5V (Changed back to Auto because it didn't work)

DRAM (set to 2.16 which gives me 2.13 after Vdroop)
          DRAM Termination - 1.01V (Changed back to Auto when it didn't work)
          Channel A Reference - 1.01V (Same as above)
          Channel B Reference - 1.01V (Same as above)
          Components:

Comment

Ahhh Ok then I suppose we were on the same page then. Well it looks like you are going to either have to give in and use 3.2, or get different ram (I know you hate to hear that, but that is likely the issue). Unless giving your ram 2.2 helps any.

Can you try this with the other ram settings I have already suggested and see if it matters >>>>
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14

Is your NB hot a fan on it could help, I always also redo the thermal paste as it is usually to much or not enough under there
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-09-2008, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I could try that...and it gets hot to the touch but not to the point where I have to take my finger off. In fact at idle my System temp (which I've been told is the Northbridge temp but could be wrong) is 23 - 27C and under load in Prime95 maxes out at 49C. I know those would be great for a processor but they seem pretty good compared to other people's numbers I've read. How do you take the stock heat sink off of these? I see two clear white plastic things that are either snaps or spring-loaded or something. I'm assuming it is something like push down on them and then gently pull out (both of them) and then the heat sink lifts off? I don't think it's getting too hot...I think it is just the RAM now...maybe I'll try the higher voltage on the memory or hope that maybe a later BIOS revision will help address the issue. With the amount of people that own Corsair memory Gigabyte will hopefully address the issue. I'll call them on money or send an e-mail to document my case to the engineers. Now to go try the precharge delay (I'll use 12).
              Components:

Comment

I changed the TWD value to 12 and there really isn't a change. Should I drop it back down to 4?
                Components:

Comment

Ya, that is the NB and that is good temp for sure at Idle and Load so you should be fine with those temps.

Yeah they are push thru pins with springs, you will need to CAREFULLY squeeze them together from the backside of the board and push out the front

TWR you mean? yeah if it is no better at 12 then you can likely put it back. Please post for me just your ram subtimings again So I can see what you are using now.
                  Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Is it so much the type of memory (Corsair) or the amount (8GB) or a combination of both). Some people have said that having all 4 DIMM slots used and the size of the DIMMs can affect overclocking ability. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Per your question, here are my Memory timing values from the BIOS:

CAS Latency - 5
                    TRCD - 5
                    TRP - 5
                    TRAS - 15
                    TRRD - 3
                    TWTR - 4
                    TWR - 4
                    TRFC - 65
                    TRTP - 4
                    CMD Rate - 2
                    Channel A and Channel B Static TRead - 10
                    All other values on Auto
                    Components:

Comment

Yes though you are correct having all slots populated does hinder overclocking some, but that refers to overclocking the ram. Which you are not trying to do... Right?

TRRD - try 4 or 5 and see if it helps at all. While you do this also raise these >>>

TWTR - 14
                      TWR - 6
                      TRTP - 7

If that works then maybe we can get a few of them back down.

But mainly you are really trying to make A Lot of ram that is not compatible work. While yes sometimes you can but it is not looking good here
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

By working do you mean a stable overclock at 3.4GHz or being able to manually adjust voltages? The timings I posted above are working fine at 3.2Ghz...so I'm confused on what changing those values fixes?
                        Components:

Comment

Yeah, Sorry. I was referring to attempting to get 3.4 working.

Having all slots full only should hinder your ram overclocking really, not your CPU overclocks

Comment

Just curious...when I go in and do that do you have recommendations for what I should set my CPU VCore at. Right now my BIOS setting is 1.325V (normal/VID is 1.25V and max Intel spec is 1.36V...which I'm assuming are pre-Vdrop and Vdroop values). Right now my Vdrop brings the actual voltage to 1.28V at idle, and when I run Prime95 that drops to 1.22V. I can't seem to find any information on accounting for Vdroop/Vdrop and if this is too low or not. It just seems that if I was going to increase this I'd quickly approach the 1.36V threshold in the BIOS...unless the 1.36V is supposed to be after Vdrop and Vdroop are accounted foro (I don't think so though).
                            Components:

Comment

Yes, it is after the drop/droop. Meaning actual voltage input at any given time in reality not settings. I would say you will be fine as long as your temps stay good up to 1.4 for sure and likely higher before your temps get too hot. Maybe not though depending on your cooling setup. When I say 1.4, that means set in BIOS since you have a huge Vdrop and Vdroop is even worse that should be around 1.36 idle.

Just keep a eye on temps, and often time the drop/droop will also differ at certain voltage settings. So dont always rely on what you think it should be dropping down to.

1.4+ is fine as long as temps are ok. Just do not ever put over 1.5 into Vtt

Do you have Loadline Calibration enabled? If not you should so your drop/droop wont be so much

I would say if it was me I would just go ahead and set the Vcore to 1.34-5ish and then boot in and see how the temps are and see if it is stable at all. I would think if you are using 1.325 now then it should not be too much more for only .2 CPU freq bump.

You likely wont need that much voltage but ya never know, and yes it will be safe and fine. And then if you see it is stable bring down the voltage until it is not. Then go back up again in one increment bumps until you find the spot between where it is and isnt stable

Comment

I don't think this board has load-line calibration as I've never seen that as a setting. I know the Asus owners always talk about having it enabled, but I don't see it as an option in MIT. I'll go to 1.34V (in the BIOS) and see what happens.
                                Components:

Comment

Working...
                                X