ga-ep35c-ds3r multiboot multidisk problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-ep35c-ds3r multiboot multidisk problem

I have a multi boot system. Started with a 500gb drive with XP. Then loaded Vista. I then added a second 750gb drive and loaded XP64. Everything worked fine, with the system asking if I wanted Vista or legacy windows; if I selected legacy I could choose between XP or XP64.

In preparation of loading debian, I loaded a boot loader named OSL2000. After that I couldnt boot into XP64, and had to use <f12> to select the 500gb drive. If I force the boot off that, then at least I can get into Vista and XP.

I think the OSL boot loader changed the order in which I look for the boot. I used to look at the 500gb drive, now I look at the 750gb drive. I also not the rdisk values are swapped in the boot.ini

I have restored the Vista MBR using repair off the CD. But I still have problems.

I can see in BIOS how to control which devices to boot from (for example, first CDROM, then Floppy, then hard disk). But I don't see how to control which hard disk to boot from first. Is this possible?

Re: ga-ep35c-ds3r multiboot multidisk problem

Yes, there at the VERY top of Advanced Bios features you can choose Boot device order.

I am not sure if this will help you with adding debian or not, but have you tried using VistaBootPro? While in XP or Vista, install the app and then you can add OS installs to the boot menu and edit them and their locations and such. I'd see you you can add in debian this way, or ask in the support forum, I am sure someone has done it >>>
    VistaBootPRO - Go PRO with Microsoft Windows Vista Boot Manager

Comment

I've run the same way with XP & both Vista BTAs a while back.

the best tool that can rebuild the boot structure is VistaBoot Pro get it here
      It might be able to recover what your linux install danmaged
      VistaBootPro - Manage multiple operating systems the easy way | Windows Vista for Beginners

luck:)
      Gigabyte X48T DQ6, E8400, 2GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz, 8800 GTS, 4x80Gb Matrix Raid + 2x 500gb , Lian V2000+, wter cooling

Comment

Thank you! That was the problem, the boot order got reversed.

I'll take a look at VistaBootPro.

Not sure why osl2000 would do that, but.......

Thanks again

Comment

Yeah, with that app you can change the names and locations of all the boot files and edit many boot menu options. I am not sure how it would work with debian but it might and if so it is very easy to use

Comment

Working...
          X