GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

I have recently built my computer which is Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix memory (2 x 1 GB). Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I didn't overclock or change any setting in BIOS. I left them all at default, I saw that in BIOS default, it is set as 5-5-5-23 timing (instead of 5-5-5-15 of RAM manufacture default), and the RAM voltage is around ~ 2.0 - 2.1 Volt. (While the RAM manufacture voltage is 2.2 V).

Right after install Windows and boot up, I experienced a lot of BSOD which is related to memory error, later, I replaced them with a pair of G.Skill memory and the BSOD problem go away.

Is the RAM defective? Or I have to manually set the BIOS to make it work?

One more thing, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. My hard drive is SATA Seagate 750 GB. I have enabled AHCI and Native mode in BIOS, do I need to do anything else to make my hard drive work in SATA mode perfectly?

Thanks

Re: GA-P35-DS3L and Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 problem

First off a few things you should know PC2-8500 is actually PC2-6400
    All PC2-8500 must be manually overclocked to 1066

Second all SPD/SLI timings must be manually entered on Intel chipset boards, Nvidia Boards are the only ones that Automatically pick them up

Third, Auto is NOT what you see on the left, and is not the SPD timings either always.

And Fourth, Crucial already has issues with GA boards so you are lucky it is running ok for you, Spec voltages are the MAX allowed for warranty purposes. Not the Spec your ram will need to run and be stable. Especially Crucial please do not use 2.2, they will be very hot and you will need a RMA pretty quick, just google RMA crucial and read a few of the threads and you will see 2.2 is too much, and usually 2.1 is not even needed.

2.1 is fine and you may need that to run 1066, but I would test it at 2.0 myself first and see if that is ok, anything over 2.1 use a fan on the memory.

I see you got G.Skill, all the same applies. Those work alot better in GA boards as you found.

So yes, everything should be manually entered in the BIOS, auto is for setting up your board pretty much

DDR2 Overvoltage control is the memory Voltage in the BIOS.
    +0.1 = 1.9V
    +0.2 = 2.0V
    +0.3 = 2.1V

To run 1066 you will likely also need to add +0.1 or more to MCH voltage as well

AHCI you will find actually slows you down. If you do not need hotswapping there is no need to use it as vista automatically uses NCQ if your drive supports it

Comment

Okay, I got it now.
      But how do I configure in the BIOS setting to make 2 stick of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 work together with G.Skill DDR2-800? (So that I will have 4 GB total).

I put all 4 sticks in, and let the BIOS run at default, (They all run at 800 and the timing is 5-5-5-18, the voltage is around 1.85), but the BSOD is still occur.

Thanks

Comment

You cannot/should not run 2 different brand/speeds of sticks, you can but you will likely always have issues and it will likely always run crappy

Sell the crucial and buy 2 more G.Skills they are better for your board. If you still want me to make a suggestion let me know, but it is best for you to not mix them

Comment

This OCZ DDR2-1066 is on this "memory support list" of GA-P35-DS3L
          Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I intend to sell both G.Skill and Crucial memory, and then buy this one. Do you think this OCZ memory will work better and faster than G.Skill that I have?

Thanks

Comment

Nope, OCZ has issues with GA boards on the list or not, As you can see from the list it is outdated and not very many new types of ram is on there so likely the OCZ has not been removed due t lazy list updating.

Get another set of G.Skills they work perfect with GA boards, as do Mushkins (Which I prefer and suggest)

Comment

Can you suggest me a pair of DDR2-1066 (2 x 1 GB) that work perfectly with GA-P35-DS3L? (The price range is $100 or less)

Thanks

Comment

Mushkin HP 69.99 with free 3DMark Vantage
                Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

G.Skill 59.99
                Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

For 25 or so more you can get much better choices. Meaning 125 or so

There is other compatible brands but those are the best ones I think, and are not too much $$ at all.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Hi all,

It appears that I am having the exact same issue this fellow was. I am using the GA-P35-DS3L with the Q6600 and Ballistix memory (4 x 1gb 1066 DDR2). 3GB seems to work ok but is there anything I can configure via the BIOS to get 4GB stable?

Thank you!

-P

Comment

First of all, have you tested the ram one stick at a time in Memtest86+ at stock in your to be sure none of them are DOA? Crucial's often die and I just wanted to rule out you having one dead stick that could be what is holding back.

What BIOS are you using as well?

What settings are you using now and I will see if I can help you adjust them >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
                      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        First off a few things you should know PC2-8500 is actually PC2-6400
                        All PC2-8500 must be manually overclocked to 1066

Second all SPD/SLI timings must be manually entered on Intel chipset boards, Nvidia Boards are the only ones that Automatically pick them up

Third, Auto is NOT what you see on the left, and is not the SPD timings either always.

And Fourth, Crucial already has issues with GA boards so you are lucky it is running ok for you, Spec voltages are the MAX allowed for warranty purposes. Not the Spec your ram will need to run and be stable. Especially Crucial please do not use 2.2, they will be very hot and you will need a RMA pretty quick, just google RMA crucial and read a few of the threads and you will see 2.2 is too much, and usually 2.1 is not even needed.

2.1 is fine and you may need that to run 1066, but I would test it at 2.0 myself first and see if that is ok, anything over 2.1 use a fan on the memory.

I see you got G.Skill, all the same applies. Those work alot better in GA boards as you found.

So yes, everything should be manually entered in the BIOS, auto is for setting up your board pretty much

DDR2 Overvoltage control is the memory Voltage in the BIOS.
                        +0.1 = 1.9V
                        +0.2 = 2.0V
                        +0.3 = 2.1V

To run 1066 you will likely also need to add +0.1 or more to MCH voltage as well

AHCI you will find actually slows you down. If you do not need hotswapping there is no need to use it as vista automatically uses NCQ if your drive supports it
                        In Vista 64 this is NOT the case. I have benchmarked my GA-P35C-DS3R (drives wdc 3200aaks and 5000aaks) in both an AHCI and NON AHCI install.

Where I found general transfer rates to be similiar, with AHCI enabled the "Burst" rates (buffer to host) using HD Tune were around 30% faster!

You say " If you do not need hotswapping there is no need to use it as vista automatically uses NCQ if your drive supports it" I'm also interested to know where that information came from?
                        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

The AHCI driver is installed with vista, and NCQ should be enabled in your Disk Controller if your drive supports it whether you have AHCI enabled or not
                          Native Command Queuing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That specific info is not there, just a bit about the driver included.

Are you having issues, or just doubt my thoughts there? If so can you open device manger and look at your Drive controller NCQ should be enabled if your disk supports it

As for the slows you down comment, that will vary with disks, boards, ram and I mainly meant at boot time it will slow you down more then anything else

Comment

Are you having issues, or just doubt my thoughts there?
                            In doubt about your thoughts.... ;)

You imply that if Vista is used, NCQ will be invoked automatically/manually regardless of whether the bios has been set to AHCI mode or not.

As far as I'm aware and i can link to a load of information if you require, AHCI is the "umbrella" to NCQ. In other words AHCI Mode is a pre-requisite for an NCQ enabled drive to work in that mode (ie NCQ).

Your comments suggest Vista will look after NCQ and AHCI mode only need be invoked if "Hot Swap" etc is required - which is not the case.

From the link you supplied:-
                            Many newer chipsets support the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), which should allow a generic driver supplied by the operating system to control them and enable NCQ.
                            Quotes courtesy of Intel (amongst many):-

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a feature supported by Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI).

By including support for Serial ATA Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), Native Command Queuing (NCQ) provides additional performance & faster boot times, hot plug capability to allow drives to be added or removed with the PC running, and staggered spin up to reduce power loads on machines with multiple drives.
                            From Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R manual (bios page 43)
                            AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.
                            For more information about AHCI, please visit Intel's website.
                            Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-04-2008, 09:10 AM.
                            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I'm another person who has had problems running Crucial Ballistix (2x 1gb 1066 DDR2). It appears that one of the sticks went marginally bad after about a month. They ran fine for over a month while running on default settings, but then I started getting random intermitant BSODs. I also upgraded the BIOS during this time from F7 to F9, though I think that it's unlikely that this is the cause. Memtest 86 runs fine whether I'm using either stick or both sticks simultaneously. However, running windows eventually results in a BSOD when the bad stick is used. I tried bumping up the DRAM and MCH voltages as decribed in other threads with no luck.

My new Mushkin (2x2gb 1066) memory from Newegg should arrive tommorrow.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X