Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP35 DS4 won't retain any changes in M.I.T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP35 DS4 won't retain any changes in M.I.T.

Okay, this is driving me nuts!

More TLC today - pulled everything out of the case, inspected the IO shield, found that one of the little grounding tabs has been cut and bent at a slight angle and was likely shorting the USB port. Fixed that, reinstalled it all, had case still lying on the floor so popped in an MX3200 wireless combo dongle, booted it up - perfect! Tried the dongle in all USB ports and had no issues at all.

Slid case back under desk, plugged in USB hub extension cable (hub sits on desk with all my dongles in it) - same ******* issue with BIOS not holding settings as before!

Removed hub, plugged MX3200 dongle into same USB port. Worked perfectly. Repeated this a couple of times and found the USB hub would stuff it every time.

So removed all dongles from the USB hub, tried the hub by itself - fine. Inserted MX Revolution dongle - fine. Inserted Logitech G15 gaming keyboard - stuffed. Install all USB's EXCEPT G15 - fine. Disconnect hub and connect G15 directly - stuffed.

So a quick Google brought up the following...

Gigabyte DQ6 overclock fix (how to) - Core system - PC Hardware

Others have had similar problems with the old P935 DQ6 motherboard. It seems the G15 keyboard contains a legacy (USB v1.1) hub and trips out the motherboard. This is reported to have been fixed in a BIOS update.

GIGABYTE PLEASE NOTE - your P35 DS4 motherboard has stability issues when M.I.T. settings are changed while a legacy USB hub is plugged in. The only 'workaround' we have is to unplug the keyboard at each startup - not really practical. Please investigate for future BIOS fix as was done for P935 DQ6.

Thanks,
    Moph

Comment

Hmm so what about you fixing that short and it working? Then not?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Hmm so what about you fixing that short and it working? Then not?
        The short was one issue. Instability / weird behaviour is a likely result of any sort of earthing problem. While the short was occuring, the insertion of any USB device (mouse / keyboard / hub / extension cable not connected to anything) would cause stability issues.

Now that the short has been resolved, I am having problems only with the G15 keyboard, and the problem occurs 100% of the time. The symptoms are completely repeatable - if you startup with the G15 plugged in 10 times (unplugging and plugging in the USB port each time to reseat it), you'll have 10 BIOS instabilities. If you plug and unplug any other device 10 times, you'll have 10 successful startups where MIT settings are retained. This occurs on any and all USB ports, including the front case ports.

The issues are two separate issues as I see it. A bump-sensitive short was causing instability with *any* USB device. That's been fixed and all USB devices now work *except* for my Logitech G15 keyboard with legacy USB1.1 hub. The link I posted shows that others have had this issue in the past, and there's a 100+ page forum on VR-Zone addressing USB related instability with the 965 based Gigabyte boards.

There is nothing unusual / damaged on the G15 plug and it works fine on 4 laptops and my old desktop (old desktop is overclocked also).

I'm heading to my parents tonight so will see if I can borrow an old USB1.1 hub and confirm that it's the legacy hub that is causing issues.

Comment

Sorry - just to clarify.

The G15 has never worked. When I reported that the problem was solved at the end of last page, I was testing using an MX3200 keyboard mouse combo (not the G15 which is difficult to move from my desk). The computer was lying on the ground with the case open. When I moved it under my desk, the twisting of the case as I stood it upright and moved it obviously caused the short to occur. Hence nothing worked until I reinstalled again this morning, fixing the short.

Now that the short has been fixed and all devices are working, I've moved it under my desk and plugged in the G15. The G15 is the only device that will not work.

Comment

Ahhh.... I got ya

So Maybe.... You can get them to send you a newer USB 2.0 hub? Just a thought, or can you possibly use some other newer hub with that keyboard at all?

Comment

No, unfortunately the hub is built into the keyboard. The G15 has two USB 1.1 ports built into the back of the keyboard behind the LCD display. There is no way of disabling these ports - if the keyboard's plugged in, they're live.

I might have to look at getting a PCI USB card to solve the issue, but that's going to create its own problems as I'll have to take out either my TV card or sound card to fit one...

Comment

Hmmm well I dunno, that does sound like a good solution, but not since you are out of slots!!!

Have you emailed all this info to GA and see if the can send you a test BIOS? It may not even be a option for something like this to be fixed in the bios, but ya never know. I am sure lots of others have emailed since that is a widely used keyboard

Comment

Seems GA ep35 ds4 reboot is universal, works on mine. I previously successfully OC'd to 3.2 using 400x8, ddr2 +.25 v , all other setting auto and it worked. Shot for 3.6 using 9x400 and all was reset to std. Then 3.2 would not work. I flashed bios to f5 but no OC in sight. Have tried sever other bios settings without success. EasyTuner is not worth the bits it's written with. Would someone please post their OC settings under MIT and any other changes in bios. Thanks

ep35 ds4 Q6600, corsair 2G 800x4 maxorb, bios F5

Comment

Please post me a link to your ram, and I will give you some ranges to try for 402x8 or 425x8 (For now, as not all Q6600's will do 3.6) >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
                    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                    Static tRead Value_______________
                    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
                    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
                    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Moph, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have had the exact same issue - EP35-DS4 M.I.T. not retaining FSB settings, not even a +/-1 MHz modification, always rebooting and resetting to default - for weeks and it has been driving me insane. At times I was able to overclock to 400 FSB, and then after some issues with standby (Win7 woes) or resets it was back to not able to overclock anything. The only fix I had found was to clear CMOS and then I was *maybe* able to overlock for a few attempts before being back at square one.

Turns out I use a Razer Tarantula keyboard which includes a USB 1.1 port. Thanks again, you are my hero! I googled lots, however somehow failed to find any threads solving my particular problem until I stumbled upon the thread here.

After unplugging the Tarantula and using a regular PS2 keyboard I'm up to 450 FSB. With the Tarantula I was never able to get past 410 and I had the troubles. Now on to find myself a good gaming keyboard without a USB hub, seems everyone has them nowadays.

BTW, bios 14C for EP35-DS4 still has the USB problem that you reported here.

My specs: E8400 currently at 440 x 9, Vcore 1.26, DDR2-800 CORSAIR ram at 880 with 5-6-6-20 timings. EP35-DS4, All power save features on.

Comment

Working...
                      X