Help!! Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R does not post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R does not post

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am in the process of trying to assemble a working system from the following components and cannot get the mobo to post at all:

(1) GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard

(2) Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

(3) EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

(4) Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

(5) XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler -

(6) PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W

When I assembled everything in an Antec 900 case, the computer would not post at all.

I have taken the following steps to troubleshoot the problem and would be grateful for any advice anyone might have:

(1) I confirmed that the PSU is working by testing it with a testing device (that also tested the connectors as well) and also shorting a couple of the wires and that all the components were firmly seated where they needed to be.

(2) Having read that the GA-EP35C-DSR3's bios might need to be flashed before it would recognize a Wolfdale processor, I salvaged an old working Celeron 420 (which Gigabyte's website states is supported), but the mobo would not post.

(3) I tried using one memory stick and switching it from slot to slot, to no avail. I also tried a 1GB stick of Kingston memory using the same process, to no avail.

(4) To confirm there was nothing shorting the mobo, I reassembled a basic set up (1 stick of ram, cpu, hsf and gpu) on the mobo's antistatic bag.

(5) Having taken the foregoing steps several times, I RMA'd the mobo and am having the exact same problem with new one.

Unfortunately, I do not have an old video card to test with the mobo to see if that is the culprit.

When I plug in a keyboard and then turn on the system, the LEDs on the keyboard will flash for a second and then go dark -- confirming, at the very least, that the mobo is getting power.

I am not sure what else to do (aside from constantly RMA'ing the components in the hope that I will be lucky) and welcome any advice anyone might have.

Thank you and best regards,

T

Re: Help!! Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R does not post

You've got the 4/8 pin 12V power cable plugged in by the CPU?
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Yes, the 12v cable is connected and firmly seated, as is the main ATX 24 pin power connection

Comment

Any old PCI video card will work I'm currently using a S3 it's a 1995 era card, as my 9600 is on its way back from RMA. 800x600 really sucks! Are you sure the 2 pin power switch connector is on the right pins? Sorry to ask such seemingly stupid questions but your problem is STRANGE....
        Take care,
        Rick
        GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Do you get a error beep without a video card in there at all? You should get a case speaker before doing another RMA so you can try to hear what the error is. And yes it could be the video card itself, just seen a few of these the past week similar issue.

When trying those different memory tests, did you manually go in and set the voltage to the stick specified amount? It may also be a issue.

But it would be in your best interest to get a case speaker to hear the issue, because if you RMA'd a working board they likely sent it right back to you because it worked fine for them (With your ram or video card being the issue there )

I always mark items I RMA with a UV marker in 2 hidden spots to ensure I get a new item

Comment

Thanks. Where would I get a case speaker? Unfortunately, the Antec 900 does not have an in case speaker and I do not see a built in speaker on the mobo. I also do not have an old computer to cannabilize for its in-case speaker.

I hooked up speakers to the audio jacks on the mobo to see if any bleeps or any other noise would be emitted -- nothing happened. :-(

Comment

No the case speaker needs to plugged in by the switch headers...Any small speaker will do, just wire it to a plug and plug it in.
              Take care,
              Rick

Comment

You can get one for a few bucks on ebay >>>
                Item number: 260230793326 <<< .99 cents + $1.99 Shipping

Or
                Item number: 350042891113 <<< $3.99 + $3.99 Shipping

Easy decisions

@ HemiRick, Really and smaller speaker will do eh, how small does it HAVE to be?

@ tb050205 The place you plug it in is in the same header you plug in the hard drive, and power LED's and on/off switch wire. See in your manual you will see which pin is + and which is -

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

I always mark items I RMA with a UV marker in 2 hidden spots to ensure I get a new item
                  That is slick. I am going to start doing that when I take my car into the shop too.

Comment

Thanks! I ordered a speaker as you suggested. I will keep my fingers crossed that the board will deign to make a noise.

Comment

Yeap! I would!

I do green dot hidden somewhere on front area, and a light blue on rear or inside

*EDIT*

Ya, a case speaker will help you alot

Comment

Thank you all for your answers!! It turns out that my problem was, of all things, a loose wire to the pushbutton on the Antec 900 case!! The 'pwr" wire was not shorting the power connection on the mobo... Once I fixed the problem with the wire, the system finally posted!!

Thanks again!!

Nonetheless, I intend to install the case speaker once it arrives to ease any future troubleshooting.

Comment

Nice find! Glad for you it was something simple!

That is the usual in my case as well, spend a week trying to find the problem and find out later by doing something else it was a tiny overlooked simple thing!

Comment

Working...
                          X