Random Restarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random Restarts

I still say this is a voltage/ram settings issue. Did you try All the higher settings I posted? If you left some of those ram timings out that is fine EXCEPT for the refresh to act delay.

Please try that setting changed at least, and the voltage bumps I suggested. You may also need some additional Vcore

If you want/can please post a image/images of your MIT page after you try the settings I suggest, maybe you are missing something. Coming from a cold boot and having recycling issues means your settings are not correct. Haveing HIGH QUALITY parts and board and leaving it on auto is just asking for these issues.

Overclocking or not Nothing should be on auto. Auto In my Opinion is for those who do not know what to do, and to get your board fired up the first time of course.

All things should be manually set, in the pinned guide you will find instructions for finding a Baseline (Not overclocking) for your computer.

But really I think I covered all things you should set except for your CPU Vcore as that is something you will need to manually change based on your VID and your experience in whether what voltage it is on is enough or not.

Please post back what you thoughts on all that is, because I would really like to get you setup and running smoothly and just think maybe you didnt want to or were unsure of making some of the changes I suggested before

Comment

I did raise the refresh to act delay to 52 and bumped up the FSB voltage .05v and MCH
      .075v. I guess I am a little leary about bumping up voltages and ruining something so I'm going in little steps. I never had to change any settings before and all previous builds (only 4 - this is my 5th) were extremely stable. So I always assumed normal was OK. I never overclock as I build these for my work as a photographer so am most interested in stability and speed in photo editing programs. Once I get it going, this computer is very fast in all my editing programs. So I would reaaly like to get it stable. I'm going to be out on a job Monday and Tuesday so I won't be able to do much for the next two days. I'll play with it on Wednesday but Thursday out on another job all day. The weekend is when I'll finally have time to give it more attention. I really appreciate all your help and hope that you will have patience with me. Thanks again. I'll have my laptop with me when I'm working and will check in occasionally to see if their are any posts. Thank again. Bob

Comment

Well for sure 2x2gb will need at least +0.1 MCH maybe more but for sure at least +0.1

I hope I can help, and do not be too scared! Making Huge adjustments is what would be scary and I would never suggest that!

I personally always suggest a +0.1 bump to all voltages for stability and then they can be brought down as you feel the need to or have time to test with them lower (Which may prove some need even more) +0.1 is nothing to worry about on any setting

As for when you have time, try 62 on that act to refresh, if you didnt try any of the others yet that is fine, but some 2x2gb setups need 50/60 ish to run properly, and the MCH additional voltage is needed for stability because you are adding more ram then a default or auto setting would likely run on stabily.

Just remember this is all in trying to get stable, things can be undone, and I would never suggest anything that would even be close to way to much. As for those 2 suggestions (MCH and the Act Delay setting) it could be one or both causing this instability. Only testing and changing things until you find the cause can tell you for sure. Once you find it you can try to lower from there and see if the additional Voltage was needed or not. But as I said, it most likely is. I use +0.1 and sometimes +0.125-0.15 on mine and I only use 2x1GB

I answer all new posts daily when I get in (If I have knowledge or suggestions for the posters question) so If you post and I dont reply, dont worry I will when I get in. I say this because I never sign out so it always looks like I am here, but am usually not until later at night, and some afternoons

So, if you have time to play with things before you mentioned feel free, and dont be scared you wont hurt anything. And good luck until you get around to reply about your testings

Comment

Last night, Before going to bed, I decided to try a bios update as I noticed the bios my motherboard shipped with was a little outdated. I was a little leary, as I know that a mistake can spell disaster. So I first cleared the CMOS (pulled battery for 5 minutes). Then I loaded optomized defaults. Then I proceeded to update the bios. Then I went into bios and saw that all went well. Then I reloaded optomized defaults. Then I reset everything as it was before in bios. Then I booted into Windows and all was well. I shut down the computer and waited about 5 minutes and then restarted, and it started right back up. I did this 3 more times, and each time it started right up with no reboots. This morning, before I left for my job, I booted it up with no problems. I won't know for sure until I use it for a while, but it seems that the bios update may have solved the problem. I'm hoping !!! Thanks for all your help. When I get back tomorrow, I'll boot it up again and hope this success continues. I'll let you know. Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Nice! Ya if it was pretty old it may have had some bugs that the newer bios ironed out. Still you would want to get some of those settings tested and applied, but either way glad to hear you are having some better luck!

Comment

Got home around 9:00 PM and booted up computer. NO problems. So now its just a matter of it staying stable over time. If all remains well for the next couple of weeks, then I'll assume the problem is solved for now. I made those two changes as you suggested (act to refresh to 62 and MCH voltage to +.1). Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Good to hear, when you have time you can test bringing that ACt to Refresh down a little, it may or may not need to be above 52. Only testing will tell you though. But 62 should work fine stably unless there is another issue, but may not be the better setting for that. Lower is better there, I just suggested 52-62 for you to find the issue. You may need it to be 52 or higher, but maybe not. Only tests again can tell you, but as for MCH I would leave that at +.1

Glad to hear you are not having problems, I hate it when I am trying to find a overclock setting and have my computer all unstable!

Comment

try other VGA?

Comment

Working...
                  X