Random Restarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Restarts

I built a new computer about 4 weeks ago and everything was working perfectly until 1 1/2 weeks ago. System is for Photoshop & Lightroom editing and is as follows:
    GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard ; Q6700 Quad Core (stock speed-not overclocked) ; 4GB Corsair XMS2 memory (2-2GB sticks) ; XFX 8800GT 512 mb ram video card ; 150 GB Raptor for Win XP sp2 and apps ; 74 GB raptor for Lightroom Catalogues and Photoshop scratch ; 750 GB WD Drive for working files ; Samsung SATA DVD recorder ; generic floppy taken from another computer to load drivers (bios set to raid but no raid drives configured-drivers loaded via F6 method on install) System was stress tested using Prime 95. I ran each of the 4 test for 4 hours each - 12 hours total. no problems and after 12 hours temps never above 52c on any core-most times 37-41 while under test. This is my problem.
    When I go to start my computer, somtimes nothing happens when I press the power switch. Then 10 -15 seconds later the computer will boot up as if it remembered that I switched it on. Sometimes it will start to start up and stop and then go thru 3 or 4 cycles of this until it finally starts. And other times I have to wait 3 or 4 minutes until it starts. 3 days ago, something new started. I will be working and the computer will just turn off and then reboot into Windows. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Windows as there are no error messages and nothing is logged in eventvwr.msc. Yesterday , I left the computer on at the initial bios screen. After it was on for 45 miutes it shut down and rebooted into Windows. I shut it down and rebooted back to the bios screen. It remained on with no incident for around 14 hours after which I turned it off and went to sleep. Someone suggested that the motherboard might cause this so I'm posting here hoping that someone can please HELP ME with this frustrating problem. Thanks, Bob Simon

Re: Random Restarts

You listed all of the important stuff except one. What power supply unit?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Sorry about that. It's an Antec Quattro 1000 watt in an Antec 900 case.

Comment

What is your settings in MIT? Sounds like you need some more MCH or DDR2 voltage

Copy and paste back your settings, add or remove anything you have or dont have in there

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
        Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Sorry it took a while to get back but I was out on a job all day. Here's all the info you requested. Also smeone on another forum recommended That I run an ap to monitor voltages while running Prime 95 to see if I get voltage fluctuations to test the power supply. Would you know which Prime test would be best for this and what app would monitor power supply voltages. Thanks.

Robust Graphics Booster_Auto
          CPU Clock Ratio _____10
          CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)___2.66
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_Auto
          C.I.A. 2___Disabled
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)__Auto
          DRAM Timing Selectable__SPD [AUTO]
          CAS Latency Time__5 auto
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay__5 auto
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay__5 auto
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)___18 - 15
          ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)__3 auto
          Rank Write to READ Delay_3 auto
          Write to Precharge Delay__6 auto
          Refresh to ACT Delay__42 auto
          Read to Precharge Delay_3 auto
          Static tRead Value__5 auto
          Static tRead Phase Adjust__1
          Command Rate __2
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0..05]
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
          CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]
          Normal CPU Voltage ________1.2625
          In PC health in bios : Vcore = 1.236v ; DDR18V = 1.872v
          +3.3V = 3.296v ; +12V = 12.175v
          sys temp = 35c ; cpu temp = 34c

Comment

I use Orthos, Same as prime95 and you only need to run one instance of it for all cores > > >
            orthos_exe_20060420.zip

As for something that watches voltages, you can use everest Ultimate (Although I am not sure if the Trial versions show you all voltages, but it is better then my second suggestion)
            Download EVEREST Ultimate Edition 4.50.1330 Free Trial - System information including CPU, FPU, disk and memory benchmarks, advanced hardware monitoring and diagnostics capabilities - Softpedia

Or Hwmonitor
            CPUID

As for your settings, I suggest to try this Start with the higher setting, then work to lower> > >

Robust Graphics Booster_Auto
            CPU Clock Ratio _____10
            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)___2.66
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_Auto
            C.I.A. 2___Disabled
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)__Auto
            DRAM Timing Selectable__SPD [AUTO]
            CAS Latency Time__5 auto
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay__5 auto
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay__5 auto
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)___18 - 15
            ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)__ 3-5
            Rank Write to READ Delay_ 3-5 Or 7-10
            Write to Precharge Delay__ 3-6
            Refresh to ACT Delay__52-62
            Read to Precharge Delay_ 3-6
            Static tRead Value__ 7-10
            Static tRead Phase Adjust__ Auto
            Command Rate __2
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3] + 0.5 is WAY TOO MUCH, see below
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+ 0.1V]
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+ 0.1V - + 0.15V]
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]
            Normal CPU Voltage ________1.2625

As for you specific Ram voltage I need to know or you need to look at which XMS2 it is as there is 2 and they both need different Voltages, both way less then you had set (Which you could have killed you ram already running them at + 0.5V = 2.3V). If it is not one of the listed, just look at your sticks for the voltage spec, as some of the same model have different Voltages even, either way, +0.5 is way to much, and you could have killed them already. I would run memtest on them for sure to see if you need A RMA on them

Is it one of these? (+ 0.3 = 2.1V - + 0.4 = 2.2V Look at your sticker)
            Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Or (+ 0.1V = 1.9V)
            Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Comment

Hi. Memory is set at + .05v -- NOT .5. IN pc health, memory reads 1.872v. Accoding to Corsair, anything between 1.8 and 1.9 should be ok. SPD sets it at 1.8 and 5-5-5-18 but on chips it says 1.9 and 5-5-5-15. I'm wondering if what happened this morning might be a symptom you recognize. When I first tried to turn on the computer, the lights and fans were flickering as if trying to turn on. It did this for maybe 10 seconds and then stopped without turning on. The same thing happened 2 or 3 times. So I pulled the plug out of the power supply. About 5 minutes later, I plugged the supply back in and of course everything started as if nothing was wrong. Do you think this could indicate a power supply problem? Thanks for your help. I'm going to download Everest now and see if voltages fluctuate, but I have a feeling they will not since everything seems to run very stable once it's running. Thanks Again.

Comment

Here we are about 20 miutes later and the computer just shut down. Just clicked immediately off . Now it's trying to restart itself and keeps getting to different points. Each time it turns off, it trys to restart again in 3 or 4 seconds. Sometimes it's off at the initial bios reading screens. and sometimes partly thru Windows load. But each time it keeps trying over and over unless I pull the plug. Any suggestions? Please Help

Comment

After I unplugged the computer, I went down and had some coffee and read the paper. I came back 45 miutes later and plugged it back in and it starts right up. When it got to Windows it shows an error message with some corrupt files (I guess from the numerous attempt of loading Windows partway) So I ran chkdisk and it repaired everything and now it's been on and stable ever since ( about 1 - 1/2 hours). Like I said, once it starts running stable, it seems to be OK until I shut it down for awhile and then all hell breaks loose when I try to restart. Any other suggestions?

Comment

No expert here and I understand you have what should be a great power supply unit but could you test with another one?
                    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I don't have another but thought I would run down to Microcenter tomorrow and pick one up. Since the problem is intermittant, I'll need to let it use that supply for a few days if the problem doesn't come back right away. If it does come back, I guess the motherboard would be next. Then I could RMA the bad part and return the new parts and just pay the restocking fees. I've built 5 computers previously and never had a bad part so this is very frustrating. Ive always used Gigabyte Motherboards and never had to tweak any voltage settings if not overclocking. In the past, auto has always worked for me since I pretty much keep everything on stock settings. I'm not playing any games. Just pretty much doing Photoshop CS3 & Lightroom and other photo related plugins and programs. No email installed on this computer so no chance of getting anything and no searching, etc. Use a different computer for all that so no chance of getting anything bad. But now this !!! Driving me CRAZY. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Are you SURE this >>>
                        the lights and fans were flickering as if trying to turn on. It did this for maybe 10 seconds and then stopped without turning on. The same thing happened 2 or 3 times
                        Was not reboot cycles? If not, then sounds as if it could be a PSU issue, do you have the 8 pin or 4pin plug for the CPU? Surprised 1000W would be bad, but anything could be wrong. I would suggest if you do get a model to test you can buy a smaller one like 600 or so if you wanted just to test as long as it had the voltage on the 12v rail to support your GFX card

And did you try the settings I suggested aside from the voltage for your ram? Sorry about that I thought you meant +.5.

Comment

I di try changing voltage settings but no luck. Power supply has both but motherboard has 8 pin (you can use 4 pin if that's all your power supply has). I used 8 pin. It seems to happen only when first booting up. Once computer has remained on longer than 15-20 minutes, it becomes very stable. Since my initial problem this morning getting started, it has now been on around 4 hours. There are no heat spikes or voltage spikes.(I have monitor programs running in taskbar while working to see if anything goes wrong, but like I said, once it's running, you'd never know there was a problem. Most people are suggesting it's either the Motherboard or Power Supply. Is anyone very familiar with this particular board (Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4)? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with this board? Thanks, Bob

Comment

Thermal Issue?

Comment

It doesn't seem to be a thermal issue. When I check in the bios, it never had the temp above 36c and I've been keeping CoreTemp open in the taskbar as I'm working throughout the day (after my problems this morning getting started, computer is now running almost 13 hous without incident. I ran Prime 95 for about an hour (blend test), and temps were never above the mid 40's centigrade. Since then, Ive been working on photos with Photoshop CS3,RNDS Retouch Pallette (a retouching program,} a sequential photo opening program 9Iopener), and Lightroom all open and constantly using and switching back and forth, and temps were never above 36 centigrade on any core (according to CoreTemp). Problem only happens when I first try to boot up computer. Once it's going beyond 15-20 minutes, I don't have a problem. If I turn it off and try to restart right away, I don't seem to have any problem. But once it sits off overnight, I run into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X