GA-EP35-DS3P F2/F3 BIOS wont overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35-DS3P F2/F3 BIOS wont overclock

Have a q6600 (G0) processor that overclocked fine to 9 x 333 FSB in F1 Bios. System passed OCCT and ran Prime95 for a few hours. Have a Freezer Pro 7 and temps using coretemp were around 34-38 idle and 48-52 under full load. It shutdown by itself one night -not under load- and when I tried to restart it cycled on off in 5 sec. intervals.

Updated to the latest BIOS to see if that helped. Updated to F3 BIOS and then the FSB clock speed in the MIB section had no effect. tried the F2 BIOS same thing. coretemp,cpu-z and the post screen all show the clock at stock. If I change the multiplier to 8x from 9x I see it right away when I boot up -shows clock is 2.14 (8x 267)

Do I have to go back to F1? I am a little nervous to keep flashing the BIOS and would like to have the latest version. Anyone elese have this issue?

Re: GA-EP35-DS3P F2/F3 BIOS wont overclock

Hmm I flashed my DS3P to F3 and it over clocked fine. In fact I never really used F1 at all.
    Have you reset the CMOS after the flash? I didn't have to do this to mine but it's always a good idea when BIOs is acting weird.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

I did clear the CMOS - no luck. It's very strange whatever speed I set the FSB to it boots up as stock, but when I go into the BIOS it is still set at the overclocked speed.
      Logically I dont understand how it's ignoring that line.

Comment

Do you have this set to enabled? >>>
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]

If not that is why, you can change it and without that enabled it will have no effect. As for the rest, are you SURE your overclock settings were all fully stable? If not then add a bump in the voltages to MCH and CPU and see if that gets you in at the correct speeds

Comment

Yes. Actually you cant change the FSB speed without it being enabled. I tried disabling it rebooting and then enabling it - no change.

Cant really worry about the stability until I actually get it to overclock.

Comment

Hmmm, well that is strange. Did you update from F1 for a reason? If not I would personally go back to F1 and then use it until F4 came around and see if it worked ok then

Comment

Very Strange indeed.

As I said in OP overclock was pretty stable but then I had the random reboot and thought newer BIOS might help. Guess I will go back to F1. Just so weird that it saves the spped change but does not recognize it. I am worried I might have the same issue in F1 and it wont overclock at all now.

Will keep you posted

Comment

What I was afraid of. Went back to F1 and it still does the same thing. Something must be wrong with the board.

Comment

Hmmm, well if you are SURE you are not missing a small setting then I would suggest a RMA is in order. If you want/can post some images of each of your bios pages and I will look and see if you are possibly overlooking something, anything

Not saying you dont know what you are doing by any means, just trying to help you maybe not having to go thru the rma process if possible

Comment

Hey thanks, I will take you up on that and post some images as I will probably just live with it at stock speed if it's not a setting thing.

My first board was DOA and this one is running fine other than not overclocking. Dont know if I feel up to tearing the whole rig down again

Comment

Bteheart, have you tried load optimized setting after flash? I had to do that in order it let me overclock. (I think that was my problem.) Try to disable cpu fan control and set thermal protection to 70C. Then see if it will overclock. I had problem overclock at the beginning(with F3b and F2) but it went away after tinkering w/ other settings beside in M.I.T category.

Comment

Yes, thanks! I forgot to suggest that! That should always be done after a BIOS flash.

Hopefully that is what we were overlooking.

Comment

Did the "load optimized" all 3 times. have not tried CPU fan control or the thermal setting. seems kind of random but I will give it a go.

thanks for the suggestion and I will try to post my settings tomorrow.

Comment

Make sure you load optimized then save and reboot. Do not load optimized and play with settings then save and reboot. Just want to make it clear.

Comment

My GA-EP-35-DS3R did the same thing. Turns out I unplugged my external USB 500GB MyBook HDD and she went. I had a CF card in my USB card reader also and had to remove the card.
                              This was only needed when exiting and saving from a BIOS clock adjustment.
                              There may be a simpler way but will not try it until I clock again.
                              In Integrated Peripherals, Disable "Legacy USB Storage Detect". Mine is disabled right now and no ill side effects. It may solve the unplug thing.
                              Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
                              Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
                              16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
                              Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
                              Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
                              1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
                              Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
                              Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

Working...
                              X