Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EX38-DQ6 - Will it post with F1 BIOS and a Penryn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DQ6 - Will it post with F1 BIOS and a Penryn?

I have purchased an EX38-DQ6 already and plan on throwing in a X3350 CPU which I have already purchased as well. I am almost certain that this board has the late BIOS version of F1. I ordered it from newegg on the 9th of March and the F2 BIOS was out on 27 Feb so I doubt it has F2 on it unless newegg somehow got their stock after that.

I see that the F2 bios doesn't mention new CPU support so I am assuming F1 covered the Penryns as well but just to confirm, will this board post with the Penryns if it has F1 BIOS? Thanks!!!

Re: EX38-DQ6 - Will it post with F1 BIOS and a Penryn?

Yeah, I think so. I think X38/48 is by default for the new 45nm CPU's

Comment

Yeah that is what I was thinking since they are quite new and there wasn't a BIOS version for new CPU support. This is my first 775 socket though so I don't have an older/spare CPU as backup.

I just noticed that there was a sticker on the PCB for the EX38-DQ6 label. I peeled it off and under it the PCB is stamped as an X48-DQ6. HA! That makes me feel special. Gigabyte didn't change a thing for the X48s did they?. Did Intel stop production of the X38 chipsets then?

BTW, thanks lsd

Comment

Ya, and they support 1600 FSB so I am pretty sure they support all the new CPU's. First review on newegg is a user stating it works with Xeon X3550 which is the same as Q9450 so I think you will be set

And actually... Did you look here, all of them are listed for sure?

I believe they have, but dont quote me on that. Next step is the new Socket 1366
        Code:
        http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17856044&page=2

Comment

Yeah I did look at the CPU support list. That is actually what caused some confusion. By listing F2 BIOS it made it look as though they weren't supported with F1. On the BIOS page however, for the F2 update there isn't anything mentioned about new CPU support like they do with the other versions.

It seems like the major delay in the X48 was to allow the X38 supply to run down. I see newegg is out of the EX38-DQ6 and has been for a while. I was wondering if these boards are going to be short lived.

Comment

I'm not sure whether a Wolfdale is within the Penryn family (I believe it is), but FWIW, I had no problems booting an E8400 with the F1 BIOS.

Comment

Penryn covers all of the 45nm chips where Wolfdale = dual core and Yorkfield = quad cores.

Yeah that is reassuring. I am not sure if there are any cases where a dual core worked for a BIOS version where a quad core coming form the same process wouldn't. Thanks for the comments!

Comment

Working...
              X