Intel SATA vs Gigabyte SATA chips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel SATA vs Gigabyte SATA chips??

I want to thank this forum with past help. I now have my rig running smoothly, OC'd from 2.66 GHz to 3.06 GHz and running 4 sticks of Corsair ram.
    My question today has to do with the Intel ICH9R and Gigabyte SATA ports. I have 2 Seagate HD attached to SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports in a Raid 0. I have another non-raid HD attached to SATA 2 (for backups). I have a SATA DVD drive attached to SATA 3. And I have the rear, external SATA attached to SATA 4 and SATA 5. All 6 of the ICH9R channels are used. I didn't use any of the Gigabyte SATA ports, hoping to save resources. I thought I could save boot time by disabling "Onboard SATA/IDE Device (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip)" in the BIOS, hoping it would improve boot times. However, my SATA DVD drive became inoperable when I did this, even though that drive is hooked to the Intel chip. How does this work, and does it sound like I have things hooked up for optimum performance?

Re: Intel SATA vs Gigabyte SATA chips??

From my experience the RAID on the Gigabyte chip is faster then the intel one, but you would need a reinstall your OS to use those ports for RAID.

Are you sure you have nothing on your purple ports? I ask because from what you said that sounds correct, although I do not think disabling that would help anything be faster or boot faster, but it also should not affect anything if you are not using those ports. Take a picture if you can of that page for me maybe you have something else set wrong????

Comment

I too have been looking into this. I cannot find anything about the speed comparisons but the book says,
      The SATA will support RAID 0,1,5 & 10.
      GSATA does only 0 and 1.

We will see. I have my OS on a single 750GB on the SATA port.
      I'm getting ready to put two WD 750GB RE2 drives on the GSATA ports in RAID 1.
      I just read the manual and went in and enabled the GSATA to RAID. Then exited saving changes and it booted up then told me the drivers were successfully installed and to restart.
      So I guess I'm good to go until I get the drives from NE this week. Then it's Ctrl + G at post and dial in the mode and go.

We will see.
      I have not ordered yet but will report when I do.
      Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
      Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
      16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
      Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
      Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
      1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
      Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
      Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

TomRope

Is your DVD/CD drive still disabled? Is it gone from My Computer but still in device manager wit a fault splat?

Comment

WHAT IS YOUR SETUP IN SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R)

Comment

I still think it's his upper and or lower filters need rebuilding in the registry.

While we wait to hear from him I want to say the GSATA is working well for me. Fast enough I will not bother going over the the Intel controller to compare.

I installed 2 WD 750GB RE2 drives and it all went without a hitch.

Comment

Here is My Software RAID (Using Gigabyte/J.Micron Chip) HD Tach RW benchmarked. Anyone care to post some Intel ICH9R bench's

2 X 250GB Seagate 7200.10 w/16MB cache With 4 Primary Partitions spread across the RAID

Just after Defrag

Ahh, after reboot, Better but jumpy

Comment

Hmm you must be using the older generation 250gig drives...the recent one has 250 gig per platter, so it's a single disk in the drive.
                It actually belongs to the 7200.11 generation, but seagate must have found the size not to be fitting into the .11 line so they left it in .10
                GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
                Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                Seasonic G-550

Comment

Yeah I think it is single platter with dual head design. Way faster then my 160Gb seagte I know that!

Comment

The Seagate part number in the test is for a 160GB sata drive. 7200.09

ST3160811AS

How to interpret Seagate model numbers

Comment

What test?

The seagate I used, and posted Benchmark images above is ST3250410AS >>>
                      Seagate Technology - Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 250-GB Hard Drive

Ohh, I see what you mean, ya that first one. I thought it was slow because of the just formatted tightness and no reboot. I thought it was damn slow! (Ill remove that image after you see so no one gets confused like I did! )

It was indeed my storage drive. The second image is my 2 X 250Gb RAID
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-19-2008, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X