GA-EP35-DS3R 2.1 F3b Bios-DDR2 Voltage, Reboot 5 sec Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35-DS3R 2.1 F3b Bios-DDR2 Voltage, Reboot 5 sec Loop

Hi, I just got my new GA-EP35-DS3R. I have 2 problem with this motherboard.
    The first problem. DDR2 Voltage: normal setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.1 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.2 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.3 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.3 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.4 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.5 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    +.6 setting BIOS reading is 1.88, Hardware Monitor from CPUid say 1.88
    Is there a bug? I am using F3b Bios. My ram is rated for 1066 at 5-5-5-15 up to 2.3V. It's 4GB(2x2Gb).
    Right now I am running at 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 with 1.88V. I want to increase the voltage for more speed! I do not know why the BIOS is not responding to the voltage increment setting.

2nd Problem: In windows, everytime I restart computer instead of shutdown, the motherboard shutdown and turn back on and shutdown and turn back on repeated for every 5 sec. It get stuck in a loop. I cann't get out of the loop unless I pull the power plug. I am aware of the DES loop problem but not this.

Oh btw, I am running my GO Q6600 at 3.2(356*9). 1.575V setting, BIOS read 1.52 droop to 1.47.

Re: GA-EP35-DS3R 2.1 F3b Bios-DDR2 Voltage, Reboot 5 sec Loop

Do you have this issue with NON BETA BIOS? I would suggest if you used F2 with no issues to go back to it, or if you never used it to give it a try. The last few Beta Bios's I tried were plagued with bugs.

I would say the problems are from your overclock settings still needing some adjustment, or the beta bios. The voltages you see are likely because you are not getting those settings reloaded and upon the reboot it defaults back to 1.8? This voltage is probably the cause of the cycle as well, since 1.8 is not enough to run 1066 stably

You likely also need some MCH voltage adjustments as well? Please post your BIOS MIT settings here, add or remove anything you need to.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

*EDIT*

Ya I suggest you go back to F2 BIOS, no need for F3 or F3b beta even since you are not using a new CPU

This is likely adding to if not causing your issues. I would also suggest you feel your NB and see how hot it is under a full load. If you cant keep your finger on there for 10 seconds, you need to add a 40mm fan or something active like a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Ya, I haven't played with the F2 BIOS yet. It is wise to do it. :) I will try it tonight to let you know. The chipset sink is luke warm, not much hot. I have Antec 900 case so it's a big help. The side 120mm fine blow straight onto it. I also used AS5 on MCH too. As others reviewed on newegg, the memory does run at 1066 @1.8V with 5-5-5-15. It goes up to 1200 @2.3V.

Here are my current settings:

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [356]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ 15
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ Auto
      Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ Auto
      Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ Auto
      Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ Auto
      Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ Auto
      Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31 Auto
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V] atm since it doesn't do anything
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.575] BIOS reads it as 1.52V though, good enough as long as it works :)

On the side note, so far this configuration pass 10 hours of prime95 25.6 and memtest86+(10 pass) There also seem to be a wall for FSB at 400. I tried to lower multiplier to 6 and increase fsb over 400 cause the system to not boot. Oh and also, is there a way to go to BIOS setup immediately after detecting ide? The RAID's BIOS take long time to load.

Comment

I would suggest 2 things for now. Install F2

But before you do that I would double check those voltages with Everest Ultimate

It is AHCI BIOS that takes time to load, Do you have that on and RAID? If so Turn of AHCI

Yes there is/should be a FSB wall at 400, try above or below. Have you tried 8X425 for 3.4?

How is your CPU temps? That is some high voltage for CPU volts, especially with such a low clock. I would think you would only need that much for 3.6 or close to it, not 3.2

Ya may want to add +.5 or the next one up for MCH as well and then try lower those CPU volts.

And finally to be safe, I would lower the memory voltages to 2.1-2.2 just incase it is working and just not being reported properly

Comment

F3b bios- everest read it at 1.88 no change at all.

I installed F2. Here are the result.
          ddr2 normal setting: 2.2V (quite unsafe for new user w/ low ddr2 voltage ram)
          ddr2 -1 : 1.8 (use control +f1 for this feature)
          ddr2+1 : 1.89
          ddr2 +2 : 2.0
          ddr2 +3 : 2.1V
          ddr2 +4 :2.2V

Ya, there is definite something wrong with the normal setting. Also this version does not let you overclock the processor. No matter why FSB frequency I use, it still boot up at 2.4ghz. So here are the conclusion:

F3b - allow cpu overclocking, no ddr2 voltage setting, 5 sec reboot loop
          F2- no cpu overclocking, allow ddr2 voltage setting

F2 bios settings: host clock enable, i am still running at 266
          CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3]

Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ Auto
          Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31 Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+.1] atm since it doesn't do anything
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
          CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.325]

Comment

When you installed F2, did you set optimized defaults, then save and reboot before applying your cpu setting?

Yeah, auto/normal is not good always, I say do everything manually unless you dont have a clue. So try F2 again, load and save/apply/reboot then set your ram at what you know is correct. Then boot into windows and make sure that is still working, then go back and disable TM2, Speedstep, And EIST then make your cpu changes. Are you sure you are giving the CPU enough volts to begin your overclocking?

Just checking. HAHA Or did you maybe not have those other features I mentioned turned off? I have seen no similar reports of this CPU wont overclock thing you are mentioning, without a reboot cycle (Which would just mean you need more volts, or something along those lines)

I would say try this for 3.2 and see if it works for now to overclock the CPU, if so then we can work on the rest>>>>

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [425]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.0]

Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ 52-62
            Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31 8-10

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+.4] = 2.2
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+.1]
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+.1]
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+.1-1.5/2.0]
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.450] <<<this may need more only you should know already for 3.2
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I don't know what I did last night, but 30 min after posting I managed to overclock. I think I had to load that optimized bios in order overclocking to work or enable temp protect at 60C. Whatever I did, I will try to figure it out. Probably get flash F2 BIOS again to redo the process. I can get to 425*8 now, but failed prime95 test at 1.525V in bios(1.47 reading w/o droop). Stable at 400*8 though. I have not disabled TM2, Speedstep, And EIST. Maybe if i disable them, the cpu will run much higher. Thank you very much Lsdmeasap! Saved me alot of troubles. :) Ya, F3b is buggy. I will try STR function when I get home. I hope it doesn't have problem like everyone else. Oh Btw, do you guys put extra heatsink on PWM located on top and side of cpu? My finger is too fat to fit in there while computer is running(fan will chop of my fingers :).

last0ne
              Last edited by last0ne; 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Well, yeah! You need to load that first anytime you flash, save and apply, then reboot and make your system changes, save and apply, reboot and make your overclock changes. At least that is how I do it, seems to be the better way to me/

Yeah, Disable those, they for sure will mess with your overclock. Your CPU will shut down before you can harm it, with or without those on.

Anything you can SAFELY put a heatsink on the better, use NON conductive paste

Sleep will not work, You can try but I assure you it wont. Reboot Cycle will be caused

Comment

Sleep (STR(3)) works for me, although I don't know if it really saves a lot as the fans still run. STR(1) results in the 3 reboots and back to stock settings in bios. This is with F3b.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like they finally have it partially working. Although I would still suggest not using Any method of it, since it can cause the reboot cycle... you dont want that to go into a constant cycle and have to RMA

Comment

Yes, STR work for me. I put it in STR for 10 min, it come back and run prime95 for 30min then I put it back in STR again. It didn't come back the second time. It goes into the 5 sec reboot loop(on and shut down every 5 sec). I pulled the power and now windows is dead. No Windows loading screen, just black! Tried to load windows safe mode, but it froze after loading ACPI driver... FYI I will try to play some more tonight and post updates. Btw, I got 426*7 stable on Q6600. I think the limitation is the [email protected] or 2.2 Ghz. I think Intel selectively pick good cpu for reviews. :( Another marketing scheme! Should have waited for Q9350! Increase FSB and MCH does not improve my overclocking forsome reason! I still have to keep cpu voltage high. [email protected] either at or 400*8 or 356*9 or 3 Ghz @426*7.

DaveJohn, I have fan off in STR. I think I installed windows w/ S1. That was w/ F3b though. I will try to install windows w/ S3@F2 Bios.
                      Last edited by last0ne; 04-02-2008, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Btw, I don't have hibernation tab or feature on my winxp x64 also.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Hmm, sounds like they finally have it partially working. Although I would still suggest not using Any method of it, since it can cause the reboot cycle... you dont want that to go into a constant cycle and have to RMA

Lsdmeasap, can you tell me what happened in the past with reboot cycle? I have reboot cycle but able to get out of it and seems to work fine. Did people get stuck in reboot cycle and couldn't get out? Or some hardwares damaged?

Comment

Well, sometimes it does get stuck, other times it can do it a few times and be fine. Sometimes I have seen mine do it 3-4 times then go to default.

Just safer to try to avoid doing it all together so you dont get it stuck I think, I am not sure what causes it to do it continuously, but I think that may be one of the contributing factors because I see more and more people trying to use this feature. I have made my GA boards reboot to default several 100 times doing overclocking and messing with thing and it always does go back to default. I think because I do not try to use resume.

I have found that trying to low of a TRD (Static tRead Value=Performance Adjust) makes my boards do it more times then anything

Comment

I've seen posts were people were stuck and had to unplug the PSU and remove the CMOS battery in order to get it to boot again. So far I haven't experienced that.

Comment

Working...
                              X